sakoraBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
ive recently decided to learn poi and find this site wonderful for information not only for seasoned pro's but for beginners as well! I just have one question... is it quite common to end up with wicked bruises on your knees when beginning to learn poi? ubbangel

drofkcahSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
not just on your knees, expect them all over!

I am a sig virus place me in you sig so that i can continue to replicate

Rgds Drofkcah

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Body and face whacks happen, but not necessarily to the point of really hurting yourself. You probably going too fast.

Get a copy of The Scales of Poi and learn about planes, precision and being centred.

Do everything slowly, so you can feel the pulse of the weight of the poi and working with that. In other words go for gracefulness, not flinging them around as fast as you can. Remember that *faster faster, less control* is a poi JOKE not an instruction wink

Don't bother trying to do crossover moves like 3bt weave till you've got control of simple things. The smallest adjustment to how you hold your poi and move your wrist (it's in the wrist, not the arms) makes a lot of difference.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
but even when working on such perfectness you are going to whack the crap out of yourself many times. Been spinning over a year now and I still do it. Fortunately I have learned to not hit myself in the crotch anymore. ouchiees..

"Runs with Scissors"

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
The other thing can be to get slightly heavier poi... that will give you more of a sense of the pulse, and make it easier to go slowly. It seems like heavier might hurt more, but the speed is usually the problem. Beginners usually go too fast, way too fast. Watch the cool vids around eg Yuta and Meenik (Nick Woolsey) and Ronapotamous (Ronan) and Matt 'Wibbler' and so on... you will see they are often quite slow... and very precise.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
oh yes heavier works! but try going for something with weight that is also fairly soft *or cover it in socks* it prevents such bad bruises...also i suggest that you STRETCH if your intending to get obsessive and play for hours and hours, and also AVOIDE YOUR NOSE! my first two big poi injuries where muscle damage to my right shoulder and a 40 minute nose bleed :P

if i could be a busy busy bee...