GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
How do you stop yourself getting dizzy when spinning. Mainly doing things like extended arms spinning, then going into whatever like say crosses i get dizzy.

Ive tried looking at one point and quickly whipping my head around but it doesnt work

How can you spin without getting dizzY?

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
But I like getting dizzy... tongue

I think you're thinking along the right lines. There are two tricks I've used before (with varing success).

The looking at one point thing that ballet dancers do is one. I'm rubbish at this. I believe one of the tricks is, when you whip your head around, don't jerk. Start slowly and finish slowly, because it's the sudden acceleration that screws you over. If there are any ballet dancers reading, it'd be cool to get some advice. smile

The other trick I learned from Tai Chi. Simply keeping aware of your body and where you're moving, and trying to minimise your movement. For instance, you can do a lot of things in wallplane, and just because your body does a full 180, doesn't mean your head needs to at the same time...

Also, you could try doing less 360s. biggrin

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:

Try spinning around one way, then reversing it by spinning around the other way.

Should equal thinks out a bit.

hehe

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Geeza, what you where talkin about with the head spin is a technique that is used in dancing and it takes i bit of practice but you will get it in the end.

The alterantive is to follow your dizzyness in any direction other than the floor. Use your eyes to tell you that you are upright and this should overide the your sence of balance but again it takes some practice.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
I don't know. i've never had that problem . . .

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
Ketamine... : ) Have you ever seen a horse fall over dizzy?

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
^ interesting you should say that. I was spinning at a festival this just gone sat and was sold K pills. I could spin around fine without getting dizzy come to think of it!

Pitty my brain felt scrambled for days after!

KneelSILVER Member
journeyman
80 posts

Posted:
i find just keeping me eyes on the poi and not everything else works

-Niall-

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stone

Try spinning around one way, then reversing it by spinning around the other way.

Should equal thinks out a bit. hehe

oooh your mean :P i have no balance anyway so i just make sure i move my feet a lot so no one notices when i almost fall over biggrin

if i could be a busy busy bee...

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: www.dancedictionary.com

Spotting

Spotting is one major secret to successful turns. The head stays facing one direction while the body turns; then when the head can no longer maintain its position, it turns instantaneously in the direction of the turn coming around to the original spot, or to a new spot - depending on whether it is a full turn (360 degrees) or ½ turn (180 degrees). For traveling turns, the dancer would normally spot in LOD -- the direction of travel. For stationary turns, the dancer would normally spot in the direction in which the turn would finish. The rapid head movement of spotting adds additional energy to the execution of multiple spins.

i get even more dizzy when i spot than when i don't. i think thats just cos i'm bad at it.

Also looking directly up or down while turning works quite well to avoid dizziness.

Written by: Stone

i don't know if you were joking, but this actually works.

vigorously shaking your head also works, but doesn't look very cool...

to really get your head around dizziness, why it happens, and how to stop it -understanding how your vestibular system works is important

smile
EDITED_BY: simian (1187015841)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
spotting has never worked for me. I've spun too fast for it to even be considered, and it'd probably be dangerous if I did.

what I learned is to let your eyes relax and blur as you spin. once you're done spinning, pick a point and focus on it

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

brittleGOLD Member
131 posts

Posted:
i find just looking at my hands help if there in one place in front of me, other than that jus let your eyes blur and go unfocused

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fNi

spotting has never worked for me. I've spun too fast for it to even be considered, and it'd probably be dangerous if I did.

ubblol
yeah, i'm sure those professional ballet dancers who spot have nothing on you dude.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

3,149 posts

Posted:
ok, this is quite a handy mental picture for stopping dizziness:

imagine there's a bowl of water inside your head. When you spin around, then stop, that makes the liquid slosh around the edges. That sloshing is dizziness.

But when you move a bowl of water around then stop it you can stall it just like you stall poi, so that the water doesn't slosh, and quickly settles and becomes level again.

That is how to stop being dizzy. STALL YOUR HEAD.

Invader XanSILVER Member
479 posts

Posted:
Stall your head.
Words to live by, if you ask me.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

ubblol

yeah, i'm sure those professional ballet dancers who spot have nothing on you dude.

in competitive ice skating, you spin much faster smile watch something on youtube, you'll see what i mean smile

in the fifties or sixties, NASA used a skater, Ronnie Robertson, to study G-forces on the human body because he spun faster than anyone else.

Written by: website

NASA did several tests with Robertson trying unsuccessfully to make him dizzy. They hoped that if they could figure out his secret, it would help astronauts deal with the feeling of weighlessness. But Robertson’s secret was simply learning to ignore all sensations of giddiness. (In ballet, dancers "spot" after turns, i.e. they focus on an object at the completion of a move. That isn’t possible because of the speed of spins on ice that are not always finished in a dead stop.)

Link

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:

That is how to stop being dizzy. STALL YOUR HEAD.

and how exactly do you do this stalling of your head?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:

just like you stall poi

Non-Https Image Link

Just like that.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
^ ha ha ha

(and i want tommy coopers hat) I wonder what happened to it?

Invader XanSILVER Member
479 posts

Posted:
ubblol

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:

Also looking directly up or down while turning works quite well to avoid dizziness.

hmm I find looking straight up helps not at all especially doing multiple jesuses with staff. if you put your later analogy to this method (the bowl of water) then surely all the water would just pour out wink I suppose it wouldn't slosh though biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

3,149 posts

Posted:

ubblol

in competitive ice skating, you spin much faster smile

And you mentioned ice skating ummmm where? tongue i just thought you were being all like "hey man, i turn with the weave like kerazy fast!" wink
fair enough. Spotting while ice skating does sound a good way to unscrew your spine eek

Written by: Mynci

hmm I find looking straight up helps not at all especially doing multiple jesuses with staff. if you put your later analogy to this method (the bowl of water) then surely all the water would just pour out I suppose it wouldn't slosh though

Nahh, the bowl has a lid smile
a more accurate analogy is a spirit level, or a spirit level in each ear to be exact.

Looking up helps because the water is sloshing around the top and bottom, and then gravity makes it settle faster when you put your head upright again, when compared to letting it slosh around the sides. That means it helps with recovery from the spin, rather than the spin itself. But thats usually where problems are.

Written by: Geeza

how exactly do you do this stalling of your head?

run about with a bowl of water. Work out how to move it and turn it while keeping it from spilling/sloshing. Or how to do really violent movements, to stops, without sloshing or spilling. It's just like stalling poi. That is the way to move your head without getting dizzy.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
maybe my looking straight up isn't getting dizzy it's just forgetting where the floor is.. I need to see it to stop me falling over stuff tongue

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
Spotting! Stare at something and turn untill you can no longer keep eye contact with that whatever. Then whip your head around as fast as you can and stare at that same thing again. It takes a little practice to get solidly down when turning, but it's really simple enough. Just be sure to spot, DIRECTLY LEVEL. If you look up, you'll move backwards and if you look down you'll go foreward. Then again, if you WANT to move...have at it, lol. Spotting is the only way I've ever found to survive things like multiple pirouettes and fuete turns.

Ah...I heart ballet.

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

Chris_Lu1DIAMOND Member
Flow Artist
67 posts

Posted:
Anyone have tips on how to stop getting dizzy with contact staff, particularly dragon staff?
All the neck wraps and matrix moves start getting to me fairly quick. Fine for performance, only dizzy after about 30 min of practice, but then I feel like throwing up.