PoiFireSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
OK so Im going to my very 1st burning man this year and Im very excited but also very worried because Ive only camped once in my life when i went to Fire Drums last year so what should i expect, bring, do? can someone help me or at least give me guidance :^(

True Friends Stab you in the Front!!!
Oscar Wilde

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
First, you should know that camping on the playa is very very different from the Firedrums experience. I'd suggest looking at the First Timer's Guide and definitely read the Survival Guide (link on the First Timer's page) carefully. I can't stress that enough, read the Survival Guide.

Are you camping with others or going solo? It makes things a bit easier to be part of a camp, as there will be shared infrastructure/water/food, etc.

A lot of this will be found in the Survival Guide, but below are some very important key items that you really must have. This is by no means an exhaustive list, just a kind of top ten you will be uncomfortable/miserable/put your life in danger if you don't have them sorts of things.

1) food and water for the week (or however long you're out there for); including water for washing, both dishes and yourself.

2) sunscreen

3) some kind of shade for your camp. there are lots of shady places to hang out though, all over the city. But you won't want to always have to leave your camp for shade.

4) hat or parasol

5) goggles & breath masks (in case of duststorms, a likely possibility). Reports are that there wasn't a lot of rain this winter, which means the ground will be softer than usual, which means more dust.

6) clothes to keep you warm at night -- while it gets very hot during the day, it can get very cold at night. At the very least, have a warm coat.

7) some way of lighting yourself up at night -- LED's, el wire, glowsticks, etc. Don't forget extra batteries for whatever device(s) you have that need them.

8) a bike can be useful to have, but not necessary for survival

9) rebar to secure your tent -- normal tent-stakes will not be enough to keep your tent from blowing away in a strong wind.

10) your own stash of hand sanitizer and toilet paper. the porta-potties do run out.

When it comes to packing, zip-loc bags are your friend(s).

Read the Survival Guide!!! Carefully.

Have a good burn!

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hi Poifire

the [Old link] would be your best bet for help on this one.

You can find existing threads by using the search button on the top bar between Main Index and My Home

Cheers

smile

Aha except Khan's been so helpful already!
EDITED_BY: newgabe (1185325314)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah what a thread.

You might read that list and think, What in the hell? I don't that stuff. I think I can live without all those luxuries! What you don't realise is "The Dust".

Eyes watering? It's cos you got dust in them. Nose running? It's cos you got dust up it. Throat dry, voice going? Cos you been swallowing dust. Cuticles shredded? - Dust. Hands callused? Dust. Lips parched and cracking? Dust. Don't even want to look at your feet? Dust.

And that's only day three. You've got the rest of the week left... biggrin

Alkaline Dust Desert! Wooooooo!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
hehe - the year we went was relatively normal - cept we only had a minor dust storm and no rain...

I still think the "The conditions are so extreme you could die out there!!!" attitude foisted onto BM participants is a little over the top. The most dangerous thing at BM I reckon is the people driving the artcars at night - Kate nearly got run over when we were there! smile

To put it in perspective, almost any outdoor doof festival held in the Australian summer has much harsher conditions than those we experienced at BM 2001 smile

At BM theres even a big refrigerated truck you can go and chill out in! smile Luxury! smile

wink

I do love BM tho.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Josh, You thinking of the Eclipse festival a few years ago? You hardcore SAliens you. I must say, doofs up here are a bit milder...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Nah I was thinking of my Rainbow Serpent, Earthcore and Tribadelic experiences (over several years) smile

I dont know how harsh Outback Eclipse got, because I was in europe at the time - potentially OE could have been really nuts - given the time of year, and the location.

Granted tho - the year we went to BM sounds like it wasnt as harsh as it is many years, the whiteout dust storms could have been a nasty...And at night it wasnt cold at all when we were there...was lovely.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i was at lindhurst desert eclipse doof, RSF 2004 swelter (43-50 degrees C depending on who u ask) and the winter solstice VIC that had a snow blizzard.
Ironically, the biggest injury i ever sustained at a doof was at a small park in inner melbourne where i snapped my tibia n fibia.

because of the nature of psycedelic trance parties, the danger is ever presnt - though it the the participant's mindset that is the first line of defence.
being careful is something everyone can do.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PoiFireSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
thank you all for the replys I am going with my friends, as a member of the Pyrospin group i know thell help me but i kinda want it to be up to me and them, i dont want to be the one plp have to take care of, ill read up on all of the guides
and thank you once again

True Friends Stab you in the Front!!!
Oscar Wilde