Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
So my friend has done the grip on his staff oddly, but i like it a lot he got some of that stuff you put under rugs so they dont slide and warpped it in a criss-cross (make you wanna jump jump) pattern but he couldnt remember the tape he used. he said he got it from www.identi-tape.com but i looked through them and couldnt find anything about a grippy tape the closest i got was https://www.identi-tape.com/gaffer1-2.html.

Also my girlfriend is going to be starting up hula hoop and i was going to make her one and if this is the right tape wrap it in that. Has anyone used this website before? Is this the tape im looking for? if not what other grippy tapes are used for hoops? thanks.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
Firetoys has tape for staff, so I'd figure it must be ok for hoops, but its a uk site so a bit far for you....

https://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/staff_parts_accessories.html

Possibly run a search on the product name?

I'd say gaffa tape is not a good idea as its usualy a polycarbon petroleum derivative. i.e flammable. Hope this helps. biggrin

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
https://www.identi-tape.com/links.html...............?

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
how about grip tape for tennis and squash rackets?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
thats what i was using, but this style i need a tape to criss cross around the rug stuff to hold it in place.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
But you should be able to get grip tape to do this too. If its not already sold in thinner strips you can slice the band in half with a rug cutter. Ive tried a type of gaffa tape for grip on practice sticks and it didnt work. After time the tape would start fraying.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

BlueHairSarahnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
Gaff(ers) tape is used by electricians in film and theatre. It's cloth-based and very strong. I prefer that for hoop because it has more friction compaired to electrical tape (what most people use).

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
If you're looking to buy Gaffer Tape, I'd check your local hardware store first. It'll probably work out cheaper than online...

A friend of mine used to use titanium oxide tape to get better grip on his firestaff. It's less durable though. It's the white stuff they use in hospitals to hold bandages together. Mind you he's a doctor, so he has a steady supply of it. wink

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah there's a type of rug / carpet underlay used to stop rugs moving / stuff in caravans slipping around. It's like a thin foam stuff, coated with a silicon like stuff, at least it feels like that. In comes in rolls maybe 40cm wide, and you can cut it into thinner strips to make a grip. You can get in in Homebase, in guess what, the carpet section.

There's also carpet tape used for sticking carpet to the floor, which is a double sided super strong sellotape kinda stuff that you can use to fix grips to your staff. (grips that don't come with adhesive, like the above foam stuff.) Some carpet tapes are stripey, some are just white.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
cool, good to know about that carpet tape. that way i wont have to do the cross wrap that i suck at.

Meg, actually the friend i got this idea from said he got it from you at burning man so yay meg for great ideas.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!