Forums > Social Chat > Nutella/Marmite/vegemite explained.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i kinda feel bad about making this post but i looked for an answer, and i loked for another place to ask this but nothign seemed right.

with the whole nutella/marmite/vegemite dialectic i cannot understand why nutella is and option. ive had nutella and vegemite and heard marmite is much like vegemite. while nutella is sweet and chocolate the others are salty and seem unrelated.

i also heard that vegemite is not vegetarian(or possibly vegan) is marmite the vegetarian(or possibly vegan) substitution?

Promite?

Again i appoligize for maing this thread seeing as im sure there are tons of threads on this but it didnt seem to fit. thanks everyone.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Look closer, Jonny. He's circumcised!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
he's not circumsised - he's castrated! ubblol

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*Crosses legs and smears Rougie with Nutella, promptly loses, and then flees*

-Mike

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
penguins don't have fleas confused and why is that one wearing a viking helmet confused

PB and jam mixed together on toast is a superior taste sensation I think ...

*wonders if this isn't the start of the Second World Condiment of Choice War to end All Wars and if so, how much bread will be cut down like so many sheaves of wheat at harvest time*

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
pssstt.. george: click me

ubbrollsmile

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
I of course recognised him as the Linux penguin...

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yes, but he's Jewish. He just doesn't wear his Jewish Star bling out when he's making professional appearances because Linux is officially non-demoninational.

But he's a nice Jewish boy...er...penguin. His zady and my zady were landsmen and our bubbes play bridge together!

AND he's a die-hard Nutellite!!!

AND he just lost. biggrin
EDITED_BY: Doc Lightning (1184413838)

-Mike

glennerooprofessional loser
140 posts

Posted:
Well, to clarify things a bit further in regards and in defense of my favorite friend P.B. (though admittedly i've become quite the Nutella lover after having moved from the US to Europe). It is unlike the other camps such as Nutella (r)(tm)(c) or Marmite (r)(tm)(c) or Vegemite (r)(tm)(c) as there is no one recipe or form of said delicacy. Nobody (in Europe anyways) would be caught dead trying to compare Nutella rip-offs (often with nearly identical pacakaging and ingredients, costing considerably less, yet tasting like... well.. Fosters!? wink) to the real thing, it's immediate grounds for total societal ostracization!

Thusly do i declare that all P.B. variations should either not be compared or it should be split into brands (ignoring chunky/smooth is the best way to approach it, otherwise you have silly sub-wars fighting over chunky/smooth) such as Skippy or Jiffy (both US-made since early 1900's) or Gramma's special hand-made with a thick layer of oil at the bottom or whatever other flavours have come out of Australia (i believe they invented the first forms of P.B.).

I don't consider any of the brands coming out of Europe to be real Peanut Butter, as they're much too lacking in fat, oil, sugar, etc. and taste like refurbished cow pies. Perhaps one exists, but i've tried about 30 different brands in a number of countries (austria, germany, england, greece, slovenia, hungary...)

As a possibly interesting addendum, Nutella is actually in the same "class" as Peanut Butter, also being a nut butter except utilizing hazelnut instead of peanuts (though they cheat by adding cocoa to the mix wink)

fotography: glenneroo.net
filmography: glenneroo.org

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: glenneroo

I don't consider any of the brands coming out of Europe to be real Peanut Butter, as they're much too lacking in fat, oil, sugar, etc. and taste like refurbished cow pies. Perhaps one exists,

It does.. Go to a health food store and find "Meridian" PB. The no-salt versions have the extremely fine ingredient list of "Peanuts". And that's it.

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

Fosters: Australian for "Camel Piss"

Just like Miller is American for "Panther Piss"...and Budweiser is American for "Redneck Piss"...and so forth and so on...

Carry on...

Oh...and btw...Jif rules!!! (Jiffy is popcorn)
EDITED_BY: fyrespirit (1184445950)

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
 Written by: =Flashpoint=

*runs behind Polarity knowing Sake and pretty lights will halt the hippies*

I am a hippy. Just not a very good one. It isn't easy to get the internet in a bus.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
ubblol
I know you're a hippy. I was talking about the other hippies...

Sorry, yes, Sun Pat is evil, but I, as using the brand name for generic comedy value, and as such I, by association, am not evil.

However, my english is rubbish, and I am actually evil, I'm just not successfully evil, as yet. I still need to buy the plasterboard, the chairs and the sharks for my lair.

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by: =Flashpoint=

... I still need to buy the plasterboard, the chairs and the sharks for my lair.

and the evil minions/ henchmen??

grin

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
They come free with every purchase of evil lair merchandise from B&Q.
Its like nectar points. You get a free henchman when you spend £100.
biggrin

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

fireflyfaeriejourneyman
73 posts

Posted:
for marmite dont they scrap the bottom of a bear barrel... tis still tasty... never tried vegemite... hate nuttla
XD

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
RTFT tongue

Blasphemer! Heretic! Non-believer! eek

*points at Fireflyfaerie*

Is this the bear barrel you speak of?

Non-Https Image Link

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
This is by far the funniest thread I have ever read.

Rouge, I can vouch Australians do not drink Fosters. I never even saw anywhere selling it, enver mind anyone drinking it whilst I was there.

Also for the record I dislike Marmite, Vegemite, Nutella & Peanut Butter. All are evil in my opinion, even more evil than Flashpoint. tongue

Owned by the lovely SNOOPoi
Owner of Clarence_Quack

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
OOoh...there for a minute, I thought UCoF was blasting me!!! I was going to be upset for being called such names for stating the obvious...that American beer just sux!!!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

140 posts

Posted:
 Written by: steaks

Also for the record I dislike Marmite, Vegemite, Nutella & Peanut Butter. All are evil in my opinion, even more evil than Flashpoint. tongue

so then what are you doing in this thread?? wink
You must have some sort of spread you put on your (optionally toasted) breaded goods??? Or are one of those weird jam peoples? wink

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
I like to spread a mixture of scrambbled eggs and heinze tommy sauce on my toast.

I am in this thread because Mr UCOF directed me here.

Owner of Clarence_Quack

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Hey Steaks,
would you like a nutella sandwich?

biggrin

I just made them, and I'd be very, very hurt and upset if you refused one.

140 posts

Posted:

I like to spread a mixture of scrambbled eggs and heinze tommy sauce on my toast.

I am in this thread because Mr UCOF directed me here.

mmm yummy! However, that does not qualify as a topping since you must work to make it first i.e. not pre-packaged, ready to spread wink Perhaps i need to rephrase the question: if you had to choose a side, which would would you choose? Or are none of the sides even remotely bareable? wink

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

Hey Steaks,
would you like a nutella sandwich?

biggrin

I just made them, and I'd be very, very hurt and upset if you refused one.

I am truely sorry Jon, but I will have to refuse because:

Or are none of the sides even remotely bareable? wink

Got it in one!

Owner of Clarence_Quack

140 posts

Posted:

Got it in one!

Your neutrality on the matter makes me think you'd be perfect as a referee in case of future outbreaks of topping induced violence... ubbidea

336 posts

Posted:

I should hope not, the thought of any of those spreads nude is a surrealism too far in my book...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

336 posts

Posted:
..Actually, it just occured to me that by "bare" Glenneroo Might've meant without bread/toast/rusks/rice cakes/whatever, thus making an unbareable spread one that you wouldn't eat straight from the jar with a teaspoon (which would be pretty hardcore with marmite, that stuff can make your tongue bleed... I'm off to try it...)

140 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PinkNigel

..Actually, it just occured to me that by "bare" Glenneroo Might've meant without bread/toast/rusks/rice cakes/whatever, thus making an unbareable spread one that you wouldn't eat straight from the jar with a teaspoon (which would be pretty hardcore with marmite, that stuff can make your tongue bleed... I'm off to try it...)

Excellent work, you perverter of languages! Although semi-intentional (my spell-checker moaned), i hadn't intended it to be interpreted that way (actually i didn't consider how it could be or even if it would be, it was more a laziness thing). However, i'll gladly take it and shall wait here patiently for the results of your sick experimentation! biggrin

Hey and while you're at it, photo documentation would be real nice, if you're gonna do things properly. biggrin

Maybe we could even start a spread-sheet with photos, stories, et al. including (objective) pros and contras to each... one advantage now brought to light is that one may consume mass quantities of nude P.B. and N. without fear of bodily mutilation... wink

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
I know many people who are fans of Nutella who regularly eat it straight from the pot with a spoon. 1 in particular who actually gaurds her pots of nutella as well as measuring the amount left in it!

Owner of Clarence_Quack

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Dipping cadbury's fingers in Nutella always works quite nicely... Or peanut butter. Or both. Mmmm... cholesterol.

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

WirewoodGOLD Member
journeyman
90 posts

Posted:

I know many people who are fans of Nutella who regularly eat it straight from the pot with a spoon. 1 in particular who actually gaurds her pots of nutella as well as measuring the amount left in it!

Ah ha! So it's not just my fiancee who does this then. I get THAT look if she discovers that I've had one (or maybe two or three) Nutella sandwiches, even though she has consumed the rest of the jar. I must admit, fresh strawberries covered in Nutella are a fine snack, doubt if Marmite would be as good. biggrin

"What drives life is...a little electric current kept up by the sunshine." Albert Szent-Gyorgi

Page: