CelyddonSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
I've been watching Yuta's fire vid every once in awhile for inspiration, and there is one particular move that confuses the heck out of me.

There is a sequence where he appears to pass a wallplane weave all the way around himself (360) without a break in the weave or poi movement. It looks really cool, and my question is...

What sequence of weaves (forward, reverse, BTB, etc.) will get you that result? How does he do it, in other words? And how do you do it where you don't have a break in the weave movement of the poi? When I do it, I have to have a slight break to get one hand back around to the front of my body. Gah.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
which vid and about what time does he down it?

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
sounds like a fountain to me, which would be back wards weave, high turn to forewards weave, and then low turn back to backwards weave.. not totally sure though, ive seen some of yutas vids and they can get pretty crazy so it could be something else entirely.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
I think you're talking about the waistwrap. The best thing to do is search for it, as there's a very good thread about it somewhere.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
There isnt any good waist wrap threads, i looked earlier myself to try and find a vid and they have all be removed and just like back to the main index page

Does sound like a waist wrap though

_Adam_GOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
Ah yes, I know the one you mean. I think it was his NFF 2005 video. And yeah, that's a waist wrap.

I managed to crack waistwraps last month by swapping poi for clubs and working on the hand moves.

Basically what you're aiming for is a normal 3bt forward on one side, to a 3bt backwards on the other side of your body, but going behind you instead of infront. Make sure you have 3bt btb backwards and forwards down nicely before you move onto waist wraps.

It's a really frustrating move to try and learn, but definitely the most rewarding once you crack it. smile

DarkSergeGOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
Is this a waist wrap?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sGXJurBOw-o

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
yes, although I'm not sure, i always thought a waist rap was a flat portable, vegetable filled bread.

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

CelyddonSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
It is indeed Yuta's NFF 2005 vid, and he does it at about 1:43 into the video. The vid can be found on YouTube here:

It is a waistwrap, and I'm not looking to see how to do a waistwrap. I already know how to pull those off. :P What I'm seeking to know is that Yuta somehow gives the illusion of passing the weave (waistwrap style) all the way around his body 360 degrees and not have a break in the weave when you pull the wrapped hand back around to the front to complete the 360. What gives that illusion of such a complete weave?

Errr...that didn't sound right. Lemme try again. With a regular waistwrap, you kind of have to bounce back and forth between clockwise and counterclockwise around your body. Weave in front, then switch to the back wallplane, then back to the front, and switch directions (counterclockwise to clockwise, etc.) to return to the back.

When Yuta does it, he keeps going one direction (counterclockwise) without a break in the weave pattern.

(It's not quite a fountain I'm after. This is a true waistwrap combo somehow.)

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
No, that is in fact a full waistwrap. The illusion is how fluidly he does it, and if you can do a full waistrap, the only way to get close is practise.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
wow

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
hmm, not a bread then..............................

......................or maybe it is ubbidea

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: DarkSerge

Is this a waist wrap?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sGXJurBOw-o

Not quite - it starts off as a behind the back half waistwrap and the bits when the poi are both staying on your right are behind the back wallplane weaves (with various beats).

A full waist wrap moves around your whole body. It's a bit quick, but Yuta's video above is the best example to give at the moment.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

CelyddonSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
Okay. Would you mind terribly if I asked you to explain how to do a full waistwrap then? Apparently I learned this improperly. o_O I would like to learn this properly.

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Cool vid and a cool move

Hints and tips are always apreciated smile

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
In that vid, near as I can tell it is a waist wrap (half that is). I think the problem you seem to be having is telling how he gets into the behind the back part, it IS rather quick and hard to tell from the vid. But, here's what's going on

He brings the weave over to his left side (our right) and then on the upswing of the left poi he shoots his hand behind his back and around to his side.

At the same time he brings his right hand (our left) straight back to his right side, in front of him to finish off the circle.

Once his left poi is once again on the upswing (poi in front of him, arm around behind so this is the waist wrap part) he brings both poi behind his back and around to his left side to finish off the half waist wrap.

Yuta does it very very smoothly and quickly so its hard to catch the initial arm thrown behind the back. But once you get waist wraps down its all practice and then you can do it to.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Part of Anna Jillings' book on club swinging - Lesson 17 - waist circles and waist wraps.

The whole book is very handy

smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.