• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Kyle03
SILVER Member since Dec 2006

Kyle03

The super duper uber looper

Total posts: 119
Posted:who thinks there should be a test that if completed and passed a certificate is awarded saying that you are able to do fire breathing? it would save quite a few accidents.

Don't make someone your priority if they only make you an option.

Delete Topic

faith enfire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2006

faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI

Total posts: 3556
Posted:it's a good idea, but I don't I do it, so I don't know for sure

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

Rouge Dragon
BRONZE Member since Jul 2003

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Total posts: 13215
Posted:I think that it would be very hard to educate people about it and therefore would be impossible to police

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

DarkFyre
BRONZE Member since Nov 2005

DarkFyre

HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs

Total posts: 1965
Posted:What Rougie said

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Delete

newgabe
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

newgabe

what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.

Total posts: 4030
Posted:Issued by whom? paid for by whom? administered by whom? recognised by whom? for what purpose? There is no 'safe' way to put poisons in your mouth. Being 'able' to do it is just setting yourself up to be damaged by them. Impractical, pointless and silly suggestion.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Delete

Pele
BRONZE Member since Dec 2000

Pele

the henna lady

Total posts: 6193
Posted:There is one, but you have to pay $600 and go through training for other skills that have no relation to fire.

I am personally of the opinion that people should go through safety training, no matter what type of fire performance they are doing.
In some places fire authorities are requiring at least a burn plan for backyard spinners, and insurance companies are requiring proof of safety knowledge for performers.
And they should.

On the flip side, yup, policing is hard.

And newgabe, why is making a suggestion as to peoples safety pointless and silly? It was a question made from a place of caring and that is *never* pointless or silly.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete

Kyle03

Kyle03

Posted:Thank you Pele. The reason I'm asking is because i"ve seen alot of accidents that could have been prevented had a little fire saftey been done. "To be able to" meaning not some random person who thinks they can asperate a fuel and ends up setting themselves and half the area around them on fire. You say "silly" I say not.

Delete

FireTom

Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:It might be pointless, because: who is going to enforce it? Etc.

If that is why you call it "silly", Newgabe, I get your point...
But the intent honours Peanut hug

Don't worry, Dude, I rather side you on "silly" but neglect good intentions.

And to pick it up, from now on I will approach everyone who breathes in my presence and does not at least use a towel to wipe excess fluid.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

Kyle03

Kyle03

Posted:at this stage I'm not worried about who's going to enforce it, I mearly want to know if it's a good idea or not.

Delete

Sethis
BRONZE Member since May 2005

Sethis

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1762
Posted:If there was a unified governing body of fire spinners then yes, it would be an excellent idea.

However, there isn't; so any kind of standardisation of training among fire breathers is more or less impossible.

I would like to think though, that anyone who fire breathes has the common sense to ask someone who already knows how to do it and they'll teach them properly. I am also certain that this doesn't always happen.

I can dream though smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Delete

Pele
BRONZE Member since Dec 2000

Pele

the henna lady

Total posts: 6193
Posted:And a lovely dream it is too Sethis. wink

There've been many who've tried that whole "governing body" thing over the past decade and, well, see us being governed?
Well, you knew that was coming didn't you? biggrin

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete

Kyle03

Kyle03

Posted:maybe then we should look at starting a governing body for fire?

Delete

TheBovrilMonkey
SILVER Member since Sep 2001

TheBovrilMonkey

Liquid Cow

Total posts: 2629
Posted:I think that's already been suggested on here by various people a couple of times - it didn't go down too well.

Have a play with the search engine (help on that here), and I'll try to dig out some threads if I have time.

EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1183967414)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Delete

Kyle03

Kyle03

Posted:Who exactly would you approach to start a governing body? if this idea wont work then hey, i guess majority have survived thus far

Delete

simian

simian

110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY

Total posts: 3149
Posted:Regarding enforcement:-

That sounds like something related to law to me.

Police would do that. Or a different governmenty type agency.

personally i'd much rather that was kept to a minimum, as i'm generally against any new legislation unless totally necessary.

The other thing you can have is self-regulation.

Where you have a copyright\trademark "kite-mark" for safety, and only let people who pass your criterion display it. Or you can take them to court if they pretend to have it.

That method is only as good as the public's awareness of it. For something as low profile as fire-breathing\spinning, it seems unlikely that awareness would ever be widespread enough for a self-regualtion standard to be at all effective.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Delete

FireTom

Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:*changes to squirkysh Goth voice*

If I may suggesst me mysselff to be prressident of the clopal coverrning firrrre contrrol potty (CCFCP) and if you then entittle me to trown everrrry misstemeanourrrrissssh pehaviourrrrisstt with thrrrree pucketts of watterrrr - thisss woultt creatly make the sossietty a saferrr place!

*voice exxtremely squirrky, throwing arms*

I will then leatt the fire communitty to the creattestt honours and will make you couverrrrnourrrrs of the clope! Trussst MEEEE!!!! FREEEEE KERRRRROOO FORRRR EVERRRRY SPINNERRRRR! Ach!

Purrrr

Non-Https Image Link

wink wink wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

simian

simian

Posted:actually... i was thinking...

would it be possible for a firespinner\breather\whatever to be certified under ISO 9000/9001?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Delete

UCOF
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:*is Mysterio'd*

umm

Edit: no longer

In short, i dont know.

EDITED_BY: UnderControlOrFailure (1184237036)

Delete

Mynci
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Mynci

Macaque of all trades

Total posts: 8737
Posted:I don't know either but as I work with transport of hazardous chemicals I wonder who out of the fire spinning performers actually has their vehicle marked with a hazard label for class 3 hazardous liquids? so incase of RTC the fire brigade know there is extraneous combustible fuel on the vehicle?

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:ubblol
Good point!

Where can I buy a Hazchem sticker for paraffin then? biggrin

Delete

simian

simian

Posted:Draw one. With crayons biggrin

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:Crayons dont stick to metalic paint frown

Permanent markers do though! ubblol

Delete

Eera
BRONZE Member since May 2003

old hand

Total posts: 1107
Posted:You can get the various stickers online, I used to get mine from Safety Shop (google it, the URL changed a while back)

On my car, I had a radioactive one, a biohazard and an environemental danger one (plus various paraglider brand stickers), until someone pointed out it was technically illegal to be displaying them, so I had to paint a red line through them and make it look like I was anti-everything.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Delete