Kyle03SILVER Member
The super duper uber looper
119 posts

Posted:
who thinks there should be a test that if completed and passed a certificate is awarded saying that you are able to do fire breathing? it would save quite a few accidents.

Don't make someone your priority if they only make you an option.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
it's a good idea, but I don't I do it, so I don't know for sure

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think that it would be very hard to educate people about it and therefore would be impossible to police

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
What Rougie said

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Issued by whom? paid for by whom? administered by whom? recognised by whom? for what purpose? There is no 'safe' way to put poisons in your mouth. Being 'able' to do it is just setting yourself up to be damaged by them. Impractical, pointless and silly suggestion.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There is one, but you have to pay $600 and go through training for other skills that have no relation to fire.

I am personally of the opinion that people should go through safety training, no matter what type of fire performance they are doing.
In some places fire authorities are requiring at least a burn plan for backyard spinners, and insurance companies are requiring proof of safety knowledge for performers.
And they should.

On the flip side, yup, policing is hard.

And newgabe, why is making a suggestion as to peoples safety pointless and silly? It was a question made from a place of caring and that is *never* pointless or silly.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Kyle03SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
Thank you Pele. The reason I'm asking is because i"ve seen alot of accidents that could have been prevented had a little fire saftey been done. "To be able to" meaning not some random person who thinks they can asperate a fuel and ends up setting themselves and half the area around them on fire. You say "silly" I say not.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
It might be pointless, because: who is going to enforce it? Etc.

If that is why you call it "silly", Newgabe, I get your point...
But the intent honours Peanut hug

Don't worry, Dude, I rather side you on "silly" but neglect good intentions.

And to pick it up, from now on I will approach everyone who breathes in my presence and does not at least use a towel to wipe excess fluid.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Kyle03SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
at this stage I'm not worried about who's going to enforce it, I mearly want to know if it's a good idea or not.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
If there was a unified governing body of fire spinners then yes, it would be an excellent idea.

However, there isn't; so any kind of standardisation of training among fire breathers is more or less impossible.

I would like to think though, that anyone who fire breathes has the common sense to ask someone who already knows how to do it and they'll teach them properly. I am also certain that this doesn't always happen.

I can dream though smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
And a lovely dream it is too Sethis. wink

There've been many who've tried that whole "governing body" thing over the past decade and, well, see us being governed?
Well, you knew that was coming didn't you? biggrin

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Kyle03SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
maybe then we should look at starting a governing body for fire?

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I think that's already been suggested on here by various people a couple of times - it didn't go down too well.

Have a play with the search engine (help on that here), and I'll try to dig out some threads if I have time.
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1183967414)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Kyle03SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
Who exactly would you approach to start a governing body? if this idea wont work then hey, i guess majority have survived thus far

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Regarding enforcement:-

That sounds like something related to law to me.

Police would do that. Or a different governmenty type agency.

personally i'd much rather that was kept to a minimum, as i'm generally against any new legislation unless totally necessary.

The other thing you can have is self-regulation.

Where you have a copyright\trademark "kite-mark" for safety, and only let people who pass your criterion display it. Or you can take them to court if they pretend to have it.

That method is only as good as the public's awareness of it. For something as low profile as fire-breathing\spinning, it seems unlikely that awareness would ever be widespread enough for a self-regualtion standard to be at all effective.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*changes to squirkysh Goth voice*

If I may suggesst me mysselff to be prressident of the clopal coverrning firrrre contrrol potty (CCFCP) and if you then entittle me to trown everrrry misstemeanourrrrissssh pehaviourrrrisstt with thrrrree pucketts of watterrrr - thisss woultt creatly make the sossietty a saferrr place!

*voice exxtremely squirrky, throwing arms*

I will then leatt the fire communitty to the creattestt honours and will make you couverrrrnourrrrs of the clope! Trussst MEEEE!!!! FREEEEE KERRRRROOO FORRRR EVERRRRY SPINNERRRRR! Ach!

Purrrr

Non-Https Image Link

wink wink wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

3,149 posts

Posted:
actually... i was thinking...

would it be possible for a firespinner\breather\whatever to be certified under ISO 9000/9001?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*is Mysterio'd*

umm

Edit: no longer

In short, i dont know.
EDITED_BY: UnderControlOrFailure (1184237036)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I don't know either but as I work with transport of hazardous chemicals I wonder who out of the fire spinning performers actually has their vehicle marked with a hazard label for class 3 hazardous liquids? so incase of RTC the fire brigade know there is extraneous combustible fuel on the vehicle?

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol
Good point!

Where can I buy a Hazchem sticker for paraffin then? biggrin

3,149 posts

Posted:
Draw one. With crayons biggrin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Crayons dont stick to metalic paint frown

Permanent markers do though! ubblol

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
You can get the various stickers online, I used to get mine from Safety Shop (google it, the URL changed a while back)

On my car, I had a radioactive one, a biohazard and an environemental danger one (plus various paraglider brand stickers), until someone pointed out it was technically illegal to be displaying them, so I had to paint a red line through them and make it look like I was anti-everything.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.