Kyle03SILVER Member
The super duper uber looper
119 posts

Posted:
Why doesn't superglue stick to the inside of the tube

Don't make someone your priority if they only make you an option.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Because there's no water in there.

Superglue reacts with water to set, so unless you leave the top off the tube for a while, there'll not be enough atmospheric water in the tube for it to set.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
there ya go.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Bov, I ubblove You! hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
Also, seeing as it was designed for making repairs to the space shuttle, it wasn't designed to be used within the atmosphere.
The presence of oxygen makes it set in a way that's a lot more brittle than it should. Which is why it's actually quite easy to break the bond.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Huh? I heard it was developed for use instead of stitches.. But I can't verify that source, so I could be talking nonsense.. Then again, how much atmospheric water is there in space?

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
If you heat it up it will release fumes that will bond to oils left by your skin. makes fingerprinting odd objects easier.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I don't think that is why it was made but athletes discovered this purpose
Just like preperation H gets rid of puffy eyes

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
preperation H had many uses, including getting rid of puffy eyes, and wrinkles and so on. But in order to market all those other uses the company would have had to go thru the FDA(Might be wrong organization) for tests and such. So instead of marketing this wonder cream they took out the ingrediant that (from what i remember) pulled out moisture from the skin. Although i beleive in Canada you can still get the stuff with that ingrediant

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Superglue was made for quick stiches and was first implemented in the Vietnam War and thats about all I know about it.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Actually, according to wikipedia, it was discovered while trying to make plastic lenses for gun sights and first marketed as glue - all the other uses were found afterwards.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
The superglue/stitchesreference I believe is actually in a couple of films the only one i can name off the cuff being dog soldiers )(brittish film with the ginger guy from train spotting) where its said "you ever wonder why superglue sticks to your fingers btter than anything else? Its cus it was made fo the vietnam war for patching soldiers back together" not an exact qoute but illustrates my point.

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

Kyle03SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
When I had my appendix removed they used desolvable stitches with a glue like substance over it, not sure if it was superglue

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Ah, fun with superglue, its amazing what you can get to stick to each other...

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Peanut

When I had my appendix removed they used desolvable stitches with a glue like substance over it, not sure if it was superglue

Unless you had it out in a back alley, the chances of actual super glue being used in a modern day medical procecure? Slim tongue

Superglue is often thought as..well, super.

Its not. It dosnt glue biscuit fired ceramics (or anything else hard and porous), and it fogs up acrylic too, not to mention being an absoloute arse to get off your fingers.

I much prefer Milliput - you can even use this stuff under water.

Plain old PVA is ace too.

Waterd down a little and applied properly, it can be just as strong as superglue, and its tonnes cheaper!

I'm debating glues? confused

What has my life come to ubblol
EDITED_BY: Aimée (1183821289)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
They use what looks and acts like superglue on scalp wounds in kids.

Nice Aimee...whats your fave cow? I like Jerseys best I think.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
 Written by: JonnyRok

Ah, fun with superglue, its amazing what you can get to stick to each other...

yes, once I glued newspaper to my fingers, then I glued my fingers to my goggles, and another time I "close-glued" a pair so scissors, so one can't open it any more

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

Kyle03SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
There is a product called q bond that is a marvil and wil stick anything 2 anything, trust me i knw frm lots of experience

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

Unless you had it out in a back alley, the chances of actual super glue being used in a modern day medical procecure? Slim tongue

Why not? Swarfega is still used for cleaning wounds; a solvent, so useful for thingss like road traffic accidents where there may be oil in wounds, and antisceptic too...

And as for sticking odd things togethe.. I once managed to stick my finger to my navel jewellry with superglue...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Nigel, what I was implying was the improbabilty of nurses cracking open a tube of household superglue on a patients wounds.

What they would have is probably something similar but which isnt irritant, is sterile, and which isnt available in a hardware store...

I found this article "Medical type of Super Glue may replace stitches", which was posted in 1997! Interesting reading but dosnt really go into the make-up of the glue.

Wiki didnt shead much light either, it mearly just copied bits from this Q+A.