GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Are there any specific moves that will help 'unlock' other moves.

For example i have just tried moving my left arm forward not spinning the poi whilst my right arm moves backward with the poi spinning forward. Then tried switching arms. This in unbelievably hard to do.

Im sure once you have trained your brain to do things like this other moves will become easier.

Sort of like moving your foot clockwise whilst your arm draws an anticlockwise circle, which i can now do (but loads harder)

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
Well, I know what you mean. That foward and backward arm spinning is quite difficult. I used to practice it, and it comes naturally. The best way is to concentrate deeply on the movement of one of your arms, then adding the other very slowly.

There are many different brain teasers. But I guess that every move "unlocks" another. Only because of foward and reverse movements. If you get the foward down, it will unlock a new move if you reverse it.

As for the complexity of unlocking, I'm not sure where the unobvious kicks in. For example, when you're in the middle of spinning, stop, and see if you can spin in that same stance with balanced planes. I tried doing it on the windmill for my first try, it was surprisingly difficult for some reason. Try spinning one poi in the front of your head, and one in the back, and keep the planes completely even, and maintain your split time spinning. Its quite annoying at first.

That is probably the only way I think a poi move could unlock another. But I'm not too sure.. Just my thoughts though

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I have to dissagre coz a move like the butterfly can be extended, hyperlooped, threaded, reverersed and there are so many other variations.

One trick does not lead to another trick but to many tricks.

I sugest that you work your way throught the online lessons hear at HoP and also learn to transition into and out of each move. Be sure to spend plenty of time on each trick so that it looks tidy. This way you will slowly build up your muscle memory (at lest this is what I think 'Brain Training' is) and as your skill improves you will be able to figure out your own style.

And yes learning certain tricks will help you to get more advanced tricks of the same style i.e.
Fig.8 to 3bt weave to 5bt weave.
or butterfly to thread the needle.
But you still need to put the time and the energy into learning each trick individually.

The fun really starts when you try combining moves!

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
raverepresent - your right, holding a windmill with one poi in front and one behind maintaining split time is annoying!

dizzy - how do you mean combining moves, like an isolated weave?

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
like a butterfly weave
or a butterfly hyperloop (butterfloop)
or antispun buzzsaw flowers
or an isolated hyperloop weave
or any other move that combines basic (or not so basic) moves together and ends up with a really technical name (untill it hits the mainstream and then somebody will give it a proper title).

Oh and by the way an Isolated weave is a good example.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
It's not a specific move, but... I'd say just get good with your isolations. They give you such a good feel for the way things spin that most other moves start to become easier.

Plus, they help unlock the wonderful worlds of hybrids and polyrhythm. smile

For specific moves, I found low windmills were helpful. I'm learning meltdowns for the same reason...

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
not that you need iso's at all for polyrhythm though.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Nope.

But you have to admit, isos are great for learning how to change the speed you spin at. biggrin

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I would disagree with 'brain training' being the buildup of muscle memory, In fact id say it is the opposite.

many new things in poi are made by taking old things and breaking them, i.e. anti-spin flowers. You must train yourself out of aquired muscle memory in order to do them.

All learning tends to be a process of finding a pattern, learning a pattern, then breaking that pattern.

The ease with wich you can do this depends on how many times you done it before, Id call that 'brain training' if it wasnt sucj a stupid term

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti