Forums > Meet Others > The Great Oxfordshire Spinning Community

Login/Join to Participate

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
As the author of the original Oxford thread is off-line now, I decided to start a new thread, this way I can keep the first post up-to-date with clubs and events. And re-populate with active users.

Clubs :

The Oxford Uni Juggling Society is currently on a break as it's out of term time, it otherwise runs on Mondays, either in Wesley Memorial Church Hall on New Inn Hall Street, or at the University Parks in Summer when the weather is fine.

The Cowley Juggling Club is currently 7pm onwards (most still seem to not appear till 8 tho) on Wednesdays at the Angel And Greyhound meadow for the summer (bugspray!), behind the pub of the same name on St. Clements.

When we move back to the East Oxford Community Centre on Cowley Rd./Princes St. I'll update.

Oxford Brookes Club once known as OBJECTS, is currently not active, hopefully something will be arranged again, and I'll update (If I get in as a mature student this year, I'll start it up again myself if I have to)

Events :

Nothing planned yet, if you know of anything let me know, I'll be seeing about organising a weekend spin soon as the weather is clearer

Everyone should come to the PLaY festival though! smile

If you know of a club/meeting/group/performance troup anywhere in Oxfordshire please let us know!

EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1184283395)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

FloosoushooSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
Ahh, good idea smile With the weather like it is though, it's a shame gatherings can't be a bit more short-notice to make the most of the 5 or 10 minutes of sun we get a week! Though I guess a bit of rain never hurt anyone or their toys.

they mostly come at night, mostly.

FloosoushooSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
As you request monsieur :P

i was gonna say, he didn't really seem the interweb sort...

aha, i know who you are now. how was that anyway? must have been so atmospheric

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
appearances can be deceptive wink he spends his days coding in Java smile

The henge was great, it's a real shame no one had the spontaneity to come along, I'd have detoured to let people pick up clothes/food from home first of course, I wasn't just going to drag anyone off unprepared biggrin

To be honest though the atmosphere was better the previous year, something just really amazing about it raining cats and dogs over the stones, but no-one caring at all and just carrying on dancing.

Only advantage to heading off alone was it meant in the end I was able to spend a couple of days with jo_rhymes in Newbury instead of coming straight back smile

FloosoushooSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
while i'm sure there's a lot to be said for jumping into cars with strangers, you barely gave us time to think! smile

ahh, so much to learn about malcolm who art so wise in the ways of juggling.

something about drab weather really brings out the best of people's spirits at time doesn't it! when there's nothing you can do but go along with it and make the most smile

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
yeah, I knew you'd think I was a lunatic, but the others knew me well smile I'm off to meet some guys in Wales, I'll catch you in the park on Wednesday smile

Another reason I think the park is nice is people can see us playing from the bridge, and we can always go to Southparks after, or after the pub if people are so inclined smile

FloosoushooSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
Lunatic? Hehe, well you seem to get away with it wink

See you Wednesday then. It should be cool, I think my friend's back from NZ. have fun in wales!

Leilynewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hola! I've just moved to Oxford and would love to meet some lovely Oxfordshire Poi people. How many people are usually at the club on Wednesday and where/when is it on tomorrow?

Leily

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Hi, the Wednesday club varies massively every week, it's been as low as 4, and as many as 25 while I've been around, and I think bizarrely that low was the very week after the fantastic high when some guys came down bringing a tightrope.

It's from 7 at the park as stated in the first post.
I'm often a bit late as I come from karate.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
ok, I was a lot late (7.30) , but no where near as late as everyone else tongue

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Would you mind bringing the entire community to my house please - i might actually make it to a session then! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
ubblol I'd love to, your place is lovely, as is the host smile

FloosoushooSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jjbullock/883504618/

Anyone fancy a swim on Wednesday?

thym3lordnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hi all,
The AGM was still a bit damp last week so ended up in South Park instead(photos on my Flickr site, see post above). Will try the AGM again tomorrow, but if it's still wet will head to South Park again. In fact will probably head there for some fire once it gets dark anyway.
J.

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
Heh I was thinking "AGM? I didn't know the club had an Annual General Meeting... specially in the summer... *baffled*"

Now I understand the Angel and Greyhound Meadow acronym smile

I was in the meadow yesterday and it was very pleasant and not damp. So hopefully it won't rain tomorrow and it'll be perfect tomorrow evening.

See you there smile

FloosoushooSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
Well hello "thym3lord", fancy seeing you here smile

mightest thou perchance bringeth thy unicycle?

NephrenKanewbie
20 posts

Posted:
Hi it's Andy with the ginger beard. I haven't been to a meet for ages because I've not been in Oxford but I'm coming up today so will try and come along. I assume its still in the AGM? If somebody could send me a text if its not on 077529825112 that would be most appreciated as I'm leaving for the train soon so won't be able to check the thread.
Cheers

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Has the Angel & Greyhound meadow meet moved indoors yet? I've been meaning to turn up to one of these for a while, I need to learn some more stuff & descriptions/ videos are tricky to understand