Forums > Social Chat > Electric Glow Sticks...

Login/Join to Participate

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
I'd love some feedback on battery powered glowsticks. I hate cracking a new set if I only want to spin for an hour or so. I did have some success wrapping a used pair in glow tape and charging them every 15 minutes or so. I know that there are rumors of LEDs and a set for sale on this site but I think I'd like more of a stick to get a wider "streak". I also found "party stiks" from "fortune products" but they seem a bit dim (only two watch batteries) and overpriced for what they are ($15 each.) Has anyone used them? I know that there have been posts on here with various LED type jobbies but I'd like something longer. Suggestions anyone?[I did see CrazyRaverDude's post a while back but I'd love some more testimonials of those who use them before I order anything.][This message has been edited by mrmo_nyc (edited 17 May 2001).]

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Theres a company that makes some called Krull Lights?? i think thats what they are called...and from my understanding, they suck-ass when it comes to durability.Which is really the major flaw in any of these battery powered sticks. Thenew ones CrazyRaverDude posted about seem to be a step in the right direction. If i understood the thread right, i think Malcom is working with them to come up with a set that wont bash into pieces when they collide.At this point, i would say the beaming Poi are the better way to go.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
The krill lamps were a big thing about six months ago. They were touted as being indestructable, but not for poi use unless you are really, really good. ;-)I hear the beaming poi sold here work pretty well and I had a chance to play with a set about a month back. Again, you had better be good because they really hurt when you thwack yourself. The guy who let me spin them says he knocked himself unconscious for five minutes once.I've seen a set of the homemeade LED poi as described here and while they don't look pretty in your hand they look and feel nice while spinning. I'm working on a few designs of my own and I'll post pics/instructions if I am able to improve on Malcom's design.BTW, I have found a GREAT source for LEDs: www.radioshack.com of all places. The web site has a *far* greater selection than in the stores, and the prices are *much* cheaper. For example, you can get 3500 MCD 5mm reds for $0.35/ea. The best part is that there is no minimum order, and s/h is a flat $2.50 for orders less than $10.00. I placed an order last Tuesday and got a package on Thursday. For my first order, I just got one each of about 20 different types to compare brightness, viewing angle, and current draw.I'll post the catalog numbers of those that work out best when I get a chance to play with them.I've also been thinking about EL-wire, but that is something I have never played with before...-p.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
There's a great page for LED projects at:https://www.misty.com/people/don/index.htmlwhich points to a great LED source.https://www.hosfelt.com/default.htmlTry 15,000 mcd red LEDs or 6,000 mcd blue ones on for size! When'll we ever see purple, I wonder.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
The only thing about LEDs is that I can't imagine them staying together after a collision. I know how to solder simple circuits and have worked with LEDs. I don't want to have to keep reattaching exposed wires. [I can see myself in the corner of a club with a soldering iron... "hold on guys this is going to be really cool... no really"]I do have a pair of beaming poi and the bruses that I get serve as a good reminder to stay the heck away from fire until I get much better. smile

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
So...you want an LED poi that has a long streak? Well..the only way I can imagine a gizmo like that would be a long wand of 2-AA battery cases attached together. Along both sides of the battery case, take a small pouch or container that is about the size of a fat pen, filled with a milky substance. Then take two super bright LEDs and put them at both ends of the container with the milk substance, the end effect is a long red stick. With these attached to both sides, then put in a HARD round plexi-glass tubing with caps at both ends. It might work like this. Obvsiouly you would need to make sure they were all mounted together tightly. Radio Shack sells project boxes. You might be able to find a long skinny one...*shrug*Best of luck..if you do design something like this, make sure to post instructions so all of us other tinkerers out there can make a set! =)plurCrazy Raver Dude------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
CRD--If you did all that, you'd basically have a bladelight.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
yup. smile Or a long light stick. :P Except Blade lights are only one sided. I'm talking about making a two sided one. plur,CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Hey Spanky, that's *EXACTLY* the design I'm working on! Only difference is that I'm using a 9V battery instead of AAs or AAAs. 9V Battery clips are cheap and the batteries fit *perfectly* inside a tennis ball. You're sure right about the amount of work involved, though!I'm also working on another design that is much smaller.. not much bigger than the batteries themselves. Stay tuned for details and pics...-p.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I'll agree with that! I worked on my beam poi for hours last night! However with no further adue, my beam poi are done! They look F*ing AMAZING! I need find some blue LEDs thog..the orange burnt our for some reason..*shrug* All my wiring is secured and the balls are held together by two rubber bands doubled around the ball....Only odd thing I noticed..maybe someone could explain this to me(all my wires are sauldered together)...when I start spinning both really fast..all the lights go out..CRD------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Here's another candidate for replacing glowsticks: LED hackysacks.https://www.nighthack.com/These seem to run on watch batteries. You'd need to make a wire cage to hook it up to your chains, but that wouldn't be too bad.

Stressed Ericmember
15 posts

Posted:
lo allYo CRDwhich type of battery holder are ya using ?if it/they are the type with a sping and plate to make contact to the battery then you'll prolly find that as you are a spinning then the weight of the batterys are compressing the spring and breaking contact at the 'plate' end.if this is the case ya could try to stop the spring compressing by pushing a snapped match stick or summut between the coils.Eric

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Adam: Those Nighthack thingies have great potential for poi! Has anyone played with them yet? Although $20 bucks isn't much to pay to find out.CrazyRD: I'd say the problem is due to the battery clip spring (Krill Lamps have the same problem) or the centrifigual force is causing a short somewhere. WRT to the LEDs burning out, you are using a dropping resistor in your circuit, right? ;-) If not, I'll tell you why you need one and how to select the proper value. If you are using a resistor and the light still burned out, you may have damaged the LED from the heat of your soldering iron. Unless you have a small iron and a good touch it is a good idea to use a heat sink whenever soldering semi-conductors.-p.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
thanks for the tips guys! I think it may be the battery casing. I'll try stuffing some foil or something in there to see if that helps. It's possible that I may have burned it out with the soldering iron. I was really gooping the solder on. :P so it prolly got hot..I didn't realize how hot it was getting until later and started blowing on it after each time the soldering iron touched it. I have a pretty steady hand, so small, quick soldering isn't a problem..as long as I remember to make it quick. smileAs for the resistor...DOH! I heard somewhere that I prolly needed one(on this site), hehe no resistor in my circuit. Could you explain why this is necessary, and how I go abotu determining the right one to place in my circuit? I have several different types of LEDs requiring different amperage and such. thanks for the help------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
CRD, Adamrice had the post above which helped me... https://www.misty.com/people/don/ledd.htmlAlso,
when I go to radioshack I usually bring some wire there and try out the circuit before I leave. It helps to bring a bud to hold the wires together and such. If you have any specifics I can try to help. Good luck and thanks again for the glowstick advice.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
CRD: the link mrmo_nyc posted has all the info you need -- I couldn't have said it better myself.But if you want a recipe, here is what I've been using: Four 2.1V LEDs (any standard red, yellow, or green lamp) in series with a 47 ohm resistor to a 9V battery. This works out to almost exactly 20mA drain, and should give about 25 hours from a fresh 9V battery.-p.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Thanks pj and mrmo_nyc!I just finished my beam poi made from styrofoam balls. what I've discovered is that the AA's battery holder is too big! I'm forced to use a 9v..it's the only thing that would fit in the ball with enough room for wiring and such. I think I'll take pj's recipe and try it out on my next set. Thanks for the info guys

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-