esmokahSILVER Member
journeyman
75 posts

Posted:
So, I've been spinning fire (fire poi) for a little over a year now every once in a while and the local college is going to pay me to spin for their grand opening of some auditorium deal this weekend. I'm pretty nervous about spinning for a crowd, as i've just done it for friends and family for fun or special occasions. I'm thinking of spinning to Shpongle's "Around the World in a Tea Daze," but I'm open to other suggestions. It's an environmental arts college, so the alumni and student body is mostly hippies. I could use some encouragement and musical suggestions. I'm so nervous!

I've never seen a supernova blow up, but if it's anything like my old chevy nova it'll light up the night sky!

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
congrats! I'm doing a gig on wed with my husband. It will be the first time I've performed with him. Not sure how it's going to go. ubbloco

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

esmokahSILVER Member
journeyman
75 posts

Posted:
of, and i'm trying to get the hang of antispin flowers just for the event. i can do 4 and 8 petal flowers over and over again. I like doing wrist and arm wraps w/ fire because people can't believe i'm potentially burning myself on purpose.

i might spin to juno reactor's conga fury. i need to make sure my fire heads will go that long first..

I've never seen a supernova blow up, but if it's anything like my old chevy nova it'll light up the night sky!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
ah the hippies, stevens point was crawling with them...

if you happen to be nervous, singing helps for some reason

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
oooooh nice one biggrin i think nervousness is a good thing smile good luck! *fondly remembering my own first gig*

if i could be a busy busy bee...

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: esmokah

and i'm trying to get the hang of antispin flowers just for the event..

First rule of looking good while performing: Only ever perform stuff you can nail absolutely every time.
People who can't do this stuff have no real appreciation of the technical difficulty of moves. Further to that, if you make any mistakes, that'll be the only bit they remember.. So unless your peers and professors all juggle and spin too, then just keep it simple so you don't mess up..

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
though I think antispins look cool even for nonspinners, so if you want go for it
maybe a little variable speed would make look even more impressive

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

esmokahSILVER Member
journeyman
75 posts

Posted:
i can't figure out the antispin flower. something with my body movement gets my weak arm bound up and i can't "follow through" with the movement to the next lockout. I don't know, i'll probably skip that one and try for some isolation.

My poi won't stay lit long enough to the shpongle track i want to spin to so i'm going to go for something else :/

esmokahSILVER Member
journeyman
75 posts

Posted:
well, I'm going to get ready for the show. I spent a few hours practicing last night and went to the new amphitheater where I'll be spinning for a while and got good vibes from it. The only bad thing is that it's the hottest day of the year so far and I'm going to be one hot fire twirler. I think my mom (who got me the job) will be there too. Cheers and wish me luck!

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
good luck! weavesmiley

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

esmokahSILVER Member
journeyman
75 posts

Posted:
everything went great, I spun in between the 2 guitarists' sets. I kept my moves limited to the tricks and movements i know I wouldn't mess up on. My only mistake was where one poi brushed against my leg but no one knew. Everyone was in awe and I received a nice round of applause. It was the easiest money I've ever made.

Either my mom or girlfriend messed up the zoom on my video camera and half of the video wasn't framed up on me, but i'm not that disappointed. A professional photographer took some pictures which might end up on the college's website. I'm waiting for my girlfriend's sister to send me the pictures she took.

Also, on my way to the show I saw a younger guy swinging his keys around in a weave fashion. I asked if he spun poi and he told me he does a bit. He was on his way to work so he missed the show, but I know where to get a hold of him to get some fellow spinners together!

edit: pictures!