Forums > Social Chat > Home to San Francisco?

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I began posting on this board really in early 2002. At the time, I was in my first year of medical school and absolutely starved for alternative-types. This board was an oasis from my life in Michigan. (Michigan, for those of you who aren't familiar, is my home state. It has all the charm of the British Midlands, all the culture of the Outback, and crappy weather, to boot.)

So I got out right after med school and came to New York...

...But I went to college in San Francisco, my friends are there (most of whom, interestingly, are straight...and I miss them), I love the city... And when I last went to interview, I got this overwhelming feeling...

...Home.

So then I got this rather cryptic E-mail from UCSF.
 Written by: UCSF

Dear Dr. G----

Thank you for your kind letter of 16 June 2007. Our faculty and fellows enjoyed meeting with you. I would like to have an opportunity to speak with you early next week because I shall be leaving on Wednesday for a meeting. Monday is a complicated day for me because of the start of the academic year. Perhaps we could arrange a time to have a conversation on Tuesday. Can you email my assistant, Ms. Patel a time that would work for you on Tuesday. I am cc her on this message so that she will understand your request.

Have a wonderful weekend. I look forward to speaking with you.

My best,

My program director thinks that this means he'll offer me the position starting in January, 2009, which means that I would have six months free in late 2008. What could I *POSSIBLY* do to fill my time between New York, San Francisco, and say...a few months of traveling the world??? biggrin

I'm not making any official announcements yet, because I need to get the offer first...

Oh, and I have an interview at Stanford.

I'm going to miss New York terribly. The energy, the variety, the new and interesting experience at every fingertip, the attitude (and accent!), the creaky infrastructure...

...But it's time for me to go...

...home. bye

Who's in San Francisco?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Doc! It would be so awesome to have you out here! That's so exciting. There aren't actually a lot of San Francisco spinners that are on HoP. Noel-ski occasionally, and Orbit (who is technically in the South Bay) very very rarely these days. I think I'm the San Franciscan that's on HoP the most, and I'm not even around as much as I used to be. There's a lot of spinny goodness out here though, plus a big burner community, as I'm sure you're probably aware. We'll give you a warm welcome for sure.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I figure there's fun to be had...

-Mike

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
That sounds as if you made it already halfway... hug

What was that quote? "Live in New York once, but leave before it makes you hard... Live in San Francisco once, but leave before it makes you soft." Never mind softness wink

I keep my congratz until you tell us you have the contract signed. But I certainly keep my fingers and toes x-ed till then smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
me with my fingers crossed too

But it will be too late you can't come visit during summerfest. Before you go across the pond you should visit a few of us over here too frown

I hope you get it. you deserve it.

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

That sounds as if you made it already halfway... hug

What was that quote? "Live in New York once, but leave before it makes you hard...

Yeah. It makes you quite hard...
 Written by: FireTom

Live in San Francisco once, but leave before it makes you soft." Never mind softness wink

Gimme a soft life over a hard one any day.

I keep my congratz until you tell us you have the contract signed. But I certainly keep my fingers and toes x-ed till then smile

-Mike

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
just remember...east coast is better smile

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
What, weather too nice there?

Happy birthday, man. Hope you didn't lose too much...

-Mike