RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
This is an deeper look through the vision of Poi move.

Beginning (2000/2001)

In the beginning there were no move,

only people, Poi and great will.

Direction (2001)

The early state of move, when everything

having diferent direction, become a differ-

ent move.

(200..)

Family (2002/2003)

Like discovery of space. Looking for any

place where the hand can spin Poi with.

(1, 2, 3 , 4)

Fundamental (2003/2005)

Golden age. Break of a circle with a huge

impact on young community, Jedi forever.

(1, 2, 3, 4 + 0)

Atom (2006)

Directionless, time independent ideal

move, virtual border.

(*)

Future (2007/*)

I think there will be still, the randomness

of unique. But more influence in body

move, continuity.

Less move, more dance.

What do you think?

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Richee, you're a bit like Rev to me- probably gifted beyond belief, but totally incomprehensible without years of work or divine intervention.

Thanks for all the hard work though- you obviously care, and I bet you spin beautifully smile

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
collapse smile

T

(p.s.) I actually understand this one!

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MolochSILVER Member
Shirt-Cocker Extraordinaire
47 posts

Posted:
Youu're vision is right I believe, if everyone did the same moves, the dancers would stand out?
And what is a dancer to you? To anybody?
Not mass conformity, mass individuality on the horizon wink

MolochSILVER Member
Shirt-Cocker Extraordinaire
47 posts

Posted:
I bet there are tons of "secret" spinners out there right now, I think the future of what poi can be shines so bright. What are you're feelings, optimistic towards the future or do you have a sense of impending doom that poi becomes a fad, gets commercialized, and everything special about it fades away as poi battles and competitions drain away its spirit? I have no fear wink

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
After seeing what Bluecat can do on a vid from MoM, I have no fear for the creativity of poi (or manipulation in general). I mean, you have families of wibblers, contact poi, thrown poi, dance, freestyle tricksters, spinners, glowchilds, firefreaks, and sockers. People can diverge in so many ways and still develop their unique voice within each of those areas.

And no, I just cant picture poi becoming a competitive venue. 90% of the vids out there are from someone's backyard, where they spin alone. The other 10% are bringing people together in harmony. peace And that's just the ones who actually video what they are doing.

People do it for the love and the "that's too cool to pass up" factor. smile Course....that may just be my utopian fantasies speaking. ubbrollsmile

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Richee

Less move, more dance.

*yawn*

heard that one before.

i think you're overly relying on hindsight without the benefit of foresight

you see us at the end of a story, when we're in an ongoing process

2008 will be the year of spinning in context

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
nice smile

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

Less move, more dance.

*yawn*
heard that one before.

well perhaps not that nice. i feel i should explain that part further, as it could be offensive taken the wrong way.

dancing with poi is ace
but poi is not dance and dance is not poi
They are two seperate and intensely technical disciplines
an advance in singing is not an advance in playing the guitar
even though they go together nicely

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Utterly mental...

Anyway, yes, I'm with Simon.
(Not in a relationship way mind you)

Future?
There is no poi

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

There is no poi

unless its in context

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I think that drubs should combine CJ and poi, ie, putting 100mm acrylics into his socks and then crazily manipulating them. While they're on his feet on off. Then he should spin poi with them. I really want to see that. Well i really want to see him hit himself with them. So much so that I'll pay strugz a fiver to rape him. Not that that will convince drubs to do it, but it'll make me feel better.

So what's this context thing?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

3,149 posts

Posted:
what do you reckon it is?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
and why, perhaps?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

what do you reckon it is?

Can I buy one at the hop shop?

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

3,149 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
It's not so much the "What is context" it's more a case of "when should it be done in context".

Which is seldom

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

It's not so much the "What is context" it's more a case of "when should it be done in context".

If the 'it' is sex and the context is you then with the answer:

seldom

I concur.

FluffyZealotnewbie
12 posts

Posted:
I find that well at least my spinning style changes from season to season. It's a very personal thing that can't really be taught. Sure the tricks and moves are in there, but how you implement them into fluid motion is up to you.
Its about the freedom to be what you want and how you want to.
Reminds me of the "freerunning" thing "Le Parkour", each person runs how they see fit, each seeing the obstacles in their own manner and using their creativity (and skills) to overcome them. smile

I think this is what this conversation is referring to :P
If not, then ummm... the pink pidgeon Archibald sat on the existential weekday of tomorrow....

(*fingers crossed I didn't just insult someones mother* :P )

“Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” -St Francis of Assisi

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

If the 'it' is sex and the context is you then with the answer:

seldom

I concur.

That is possibly the best post on HoP ever ubblol clap

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
I like the Philosophy of growth in poi. It brings back memories of break throughs to new levels of understanding within poi and myself. I personaly wonder what kind of break throughs and philosophys people that "look down" upon poi/fire dance have.
Everytime you think you've peaked there is allways something new. Though I havent even felt close to a peak in awhile.

TanelornBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:

Beginning (2000/2001)

In the beginning there were no move,
only people, Poi and great will.

What was before 2000? Was Poi simply not popular enough for it to have a history other than in new zealand?

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
prehistory. A case where the poi movement was singular and miniscule; documentation in the way of text based forums, videos, etc being nonexistent.

The poi, people and will were there, but a great mystery waiting to be discovered. Thank goodness for whoever was our Jane Goodall.:)

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
theres alot of arguing going on over the future of poi do i sense a schism of styles and ideals? or are we going just going to do what i always thought poi was about and go with the flow?

i dont mind where poi goes in the future because i know it will always stay with me. and wherever i take poi or poi takes me i know il enjoy the journey and isnt that what everything is about, poi, life, love and everything else. nobody will ever be "finished" with poi (or love and nobody should ever give up on life) nothing really have a limitation so were not going reach our destination so enjoy the journey, i know i will biggrin