Page:
_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
hi, I just heard on the news that there are floods in north england now, and I hope everyone's ok, and that it gets better soon.
hug

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
yorkshire's under water and the m1 is closed, not looking good

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
many of the feilds here are flodded, nothing too serious though, i think its worse further north!

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

yorkshire's under water

But that's a HILLY bit!! Anyone seen an old fella with a beard and lots of animals in pairs?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
yes newgabe yourshire is a hilly part of the country where as i'm in norfolk.......................one gigantic flood plain and we've gotten off lightly with the flooding..........weird ubblol

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
college was flooded but not REALLY flooded

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
on my way up to york i saw alot of rivers that had broken there banks and flooded the fields around them. bits of york are flooded two but its only affecting the area directly on the river front

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
@ gabe:

South and east yorskhire are all low lying ex-pre glacial lakebed, as low-lying as east anglia and Norfolk.

Historically farms were few and far between on higher land and people used to move from between the two on coricles in times of flood.

Its all one big floodplain

West Yorkshire and north Yorkshire are hilly.

In south and east are the victims of 200 years industrial impact on the area and poor governmental planning and lack of “sustainable” catchment management plans (as opposed to building flood barriers).

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!*

Theres more rain on the way today, probably non stop torrential rain for about 9 hours. Lets hope they have to shut down the train lines, so I dont have to spend 5 hours on one being very very bored.

*-this only applies if you like rain

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
yaaaa..

the man speaketh the truth

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20070720/tuk-britain-on-alert-over-major-flood-fe-45dbed5.html

(hey hey mr UCOF)

while it would be easy forme to rant more all i willsay is. hope you've all got your wellies and that its not to bleak.

spare a thought for ppps goingto glade festy. could be a dampathon

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
(hey hey Mr Biggins - when yoo back in yoo kay?)

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
RAIN RAIN GO AWAY, SOMEWHERE VERY FAR AWAY
RAIN RAIN, NOT TODAY! NOT At GLADE and NOT AT PLAY!
RAIN RAIN, GO AWAY! GO AWAY FROM THE UK!

(that's my rain chant!)

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
It's fooking wet here in Leominster- getting worse by the hour.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
they can send it to Milwaukee, we need rain

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
no no! send it here!! we're sick of water restrictions*!!!

*im speaking for rural victoria - the melbournians can stop whinging!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
OH NOOOOO!!! Not raining on the Glade!!! That makes me sad.

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
*restrains desire to write about reaping and sowing/unsustainable water/farming/land management practises etc etc etc*

that said, things like the flood in the UK will only happen more and more (it happens every other year anyways).

gabe, you need water in brisbane/all of australia otherwise you'll be having to dig holes, line them with plastic and water through condensation. alternatively you could get yerself a stillsuit ala "dune"

Non-Https Image Link

i know you'd look great. ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbloco

ps: mr UCOF,thats classified info, i could tell you but then i'd have to make you drink plutonium like that ex russian spy bloke

wink
EDITED_BY: biggins (1184991200)

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ya Biggins offtopic I sooo KNOW we need water tongue ! We save our shower water and put it in the washing machine... save every bit of ex-teapot and rinsing off scruff water for the plants and I haven't washed the car in years! Plus I am about to spend $3,500 on water tanks with no guarantee they will ever get full frown

BUT it STILL shouldn't be raining on the Glade mad

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Glade was abondoned after several cars began to float around the car park apparently.

I have just got home (8.20am UK time) having been stranded about 5 miles from where I work (about 30 from home). I managed to make it to a pub in a village and was then fortunate to be put up in a village hall with blankets, toilets and coffee. Thankfully I am now home- I hope other hoppers are OK - its not nice out there.
EDITED_BY: Mr_Chutney (1185003503)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I'm glad you are home safely Mr C hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Oh dear. Hope me boys are alright frown Not exactly good weather for a fire show...

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
word on the street is galkde is going off and people are wet but "having it very large"

smile

i suspect the fire twirlers are a bit moist though

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Rain is getting in the way of my Fire Toy cravings. frown

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

nonenonenoneSILVER Member
129 posts

Posted:
lol, oh dear!
Rain got in the way of a lot of my plans. rain and waist deep water in our garden and drive, and 6 inches in our house! moved the entire of the downstairs furnature upstairs within an hour (not easy in a house this big!)

but on the upside, we were planning on decorating anyway! :-D
And it was amusing, right up to the point it came in the front door!

llanowarBRONZE Member
journeyman
95 posts

Posted:
hummm...

News aren't good..
This is the most severe fllods in modern british history, hundred of thousands of people are in trouble without clean water or electricity

And the Europeen Union is not in hurry to give them a Euro aid...

For the environment is a tragedy 'caus the aid will go to the people and not to the forest and the river...

I'm llanowar and poi is my art

(et vive la France!)

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I think the EU are prepared to give us money in aid, the British government are so far failing to ask for it (I think you need to have about £2billion damage to be entitled to the aid money in the EU fund.

I think generally, in natural disasters, nature is pretty good at bouncing back. smile It's us who have trouble dealing with, adjusting to, what nature throws at us.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
you're so right - that's why it's important it stays in the news or it drops off the political, and consequently financial, agenda. Thousands of people in Hull still not back in their homes after a fortnight and more being added everyday this week in the south & midlands.

The insurance companies (for whom i reserve a healthy distrust & dislike normally) are bound to be (Oh god was going to say 'swamped' umm Feck ,'inundated' isn't much better!) incredibly busy handling claims and it must be obvious to everyone they can't be expected to cope with such widespread and unusual circumstances.

The government should be setting up an agency to provide funds quickly to enable people to re-build their homes and their lives and claim that back from the Insuarnce companies when they get thru the paperwork.

Anyone without insurance still needs help or we're condemning people to poverty from which they're unlikely to recover.

We're only as strong as our weakest member - and as rich

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
even with insurance unless they have specific flood cover many policies will not cover them, my parents know from passed experience as natural floods are covered by "acts of god"

(without going into a religious debate it amazes me a "person" of dubious existance can be quoted in older legal documents, although I think many new ones use natural disatsters now)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the thing about the "act of God" is annoying. Though why the UK, as one of the richer countries in the world and Europe, and which encourages FURTHER building on floodplains (in spite of this, and instead of working on the riverbeds etc) should want money from the EU, kind of escapes me. I assume it's got something to do with people like Cameron claiming that the UK has the "worst social problems in Europe". I expect he'd love to live in Albania instead or be a Curd in Turkey...

Honestly though, if a country where the European constitution is not wanted, which hasn't actively encouraged any major projects of European integration in the last 20 years (Schengen and Euro anyone, for example?), that keeps blocking most new policies that come along, should suddenly demand public money, that would be quite funny. Maybe someone should say "we'll pay for all the damage if you stop blocking everything in the European Parliament"? ubblol

(sorry... I'll shut up now)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
Bloody hell glade was wet absolutly pissed it down on the thursday nite thank god we were in crew camping only about 1-2 inches of water where we where and my tent held up relitively well ended up takeing in refuges though smile but in the main site i saw tents in about a foot of mud at the bottem of the hill on the way out i saw tractors pulling people out of the carpark luckly i made it out useing only people recruted in exchange for tobaco still festival kicked ass and the fire show went briliantly from what i saw (though i was just watching) so i dont know if there were any backstage problems biggrin

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Glade was messy as hell. I had so much fun! My and my other half narrowly avoided being camped in a river of mud near ID Spiral, by about 5 feet. I was planning on going straight to Play too, but I needed time off to clean up.

It was rather amusing to see the Joe Bananas Festival survival solutions stall still functioning and selling wellies to people, despite the river of muck running through the bottom of their tent. Overall the vibe was brilliant, everyone pulled together and made the most of it. big hugs to everyone who went!

It was an incredibly lucky escape from the car park though, I got stuck in mud twice, and very nearly had to get towed. My car wasn't happy at all. Apparently there was an 8 hour queue for the tractors... Ouch.

Here's to better weather at Play! beerchug

[edit] Birgit, just read your post above. Spot on, and well said.

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Page: