Forums > Social Chat > You've GOT to get this!

Login/Join to Participate

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
ok so this is a thread where you loverly people can recommend dvd's, books and anything else you're passionate about that's not that well known but you think is REALLY worth people checking it out!

i'll start us off with 'Taboo' the fabulous and amazing musical by Boy George! (i added the fabulous and amazing!)

you can get it on dvd

and here's a couple of taster clips - IT'S SERIOUSLY WORTH GETTING!

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
See, now "not that well known" is entirely subjective.. I could say "Cat Empire" by the Cat Empire, but everyone who's seen DevKev's fire routine already knows that cd is fab.. I could say "The 13 1/2 lives of Captain Bluebear" by Walter Moers (it's a completely marvellous surreal/silly "gulliver's travels" of the modern age), in which case the Germans reading this will argue about it not being well known... I know.. I'll go for either "Galaxy Quest" or "Dodgeball", both very silly, laugh-out-loud, spot-on spoof movies.
(Aaargh! Now I just want to add even more things (cos stratching it out to 4 wasn't enough!!) - "Supersize Me", cos it should be compulsory viewing for everyone.. "Gravity's Rainbow" by Thomas Pynchon cos it's the most incredible literature ever.. "American Beauty" by the Grateful Dead cos it's the most beautiful studio album in the world... )

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

_Adam_GOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
Possibly my favourite British film of all time, and I still find it hard to believe it took just 3 weeks to film.

Dead Man's Shoes

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
pinknigel - galaxy guest is awesome! but yeh, on the matter of 'not well known', think of it more in a sense of not universally known, or is more cult than mainstream. a friend of mine who has recently come to england from china has no idea who Elvis is because of how much of a closed state it was in the 50's, and Elvis is one of the most well known, mainstream names in the world! so i guess it's down to your own judgement biggrin

omg! atomic! i've seen dead man's shoes! it is actually censored wicked! it definately deserves to be shouted about! i'm not sure if it was supposed to make me laugh but maybe it was down to who i was watching it with at the time... but good choice ubbrollsmile

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...