RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
 Written by: themusic.fm

Summary: After opening for Gwen Stefani earlier in the evening, British rapper Lady Sovereign makes it to Studio B in Brooklyn for a late night set. However, she spends most of it (after each of two songs) explaining that she's depressed, broke, didn't want to do this show, hasn't been able to create any new songs, and that "America F's you up -- F America." Then she says she can't continue and leaves. It looks like this business has taken a major toll on her. All this came after keeping the crowd waiting at least 90 minutes. She arrived on stage at 3:30 a.m. and was gone by 3:55.

Isn't that some crowd..

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Lady Soverign is a pathetic chav.
She is nothing else.

rolleyes

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Yes, she should have chosen to be born in a better neighbourhood because then she'd have associated with better people. tongue

Point I was initially trying to make was just an observation on the audience. If you were the performer, wouldn't that just suck lemons? Like, you know, couple of girls doing some pretty poi, and one tool yells 'Take it offf!'.. how much does that just stink?

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
It stinks, and I have to admit, were I the performer, I'd be pretty pissed off about it.

However, if I were in the audience, I'd be even more pissed off, at least, if I'd paid for a ticket to see her. I understand that people get down on their luck (believe me, I somewhat live with the bassist of a struggling band, and I've been down on my luck and depressed before, too), but when people pay money to go to a show, they don't pay to see that, to watch someone complain and gripe about how bad things are. They paid to hear her sing (or is it rap.... I'm going to be honest and admit I don't really know who Lady Sovereign is....)

Complain if you will, but if someone paid to watch you entertain, at least do something else to make their money worth it. A little jig would be nice. Perhaps forcing the crowd to conga in the middle of the show, or starting a rousing session of "Kumbaya" (you have enough people at your disposal in the audience to do some killer harmonies!). The point is, if people paid you to entertain, then entertain or refund. Either way, don't piss them off by waving it in their faces that they paid money to watch you do barely anything.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Ummm... she was 90 minutes late, and the audience was unimpressed? Presumably an audience that's not entirely from better neighbourhoods either and who had, at least some of them, to save the money for the tickets by not doing other things they would've enjoyed? Who maybe left work early or changed shifts to be at the gig in time?

Sure, being her age and in the business must be difficult, not that I could judge it. Still it's virtually spitting in the face of the people who have paid to see you, respect you for your art, not your personal attitude, and who might aspire to be like you to get out of THEIR chav neighbourhood to show up that late, talk about your problems and refuse to give them a show.

It's service industry (if high profile), people pay to get a performance from you. If she was a fire performer and did something comparable, we'd all be criticising her lack of professional attitude now.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

Ummm... she was 90 minutes late, and the audience was unimpressed? Presumably an audience that's not entirely from better neighbourhoods either and who had, at least some of them, to save the money for the tickets by not doing other things they would've enjoyed? Who maybe left work early or changed shifts to be at the gig in time?

Sure, being her age and in the business must be difficult, not that I could judge it. Still it's virtually spitting in the face of the people who have paid to see you, respect you for your art, not your personal attitude, and who might aspire to be like you to get out of THEIR chav neighbourhood to show up that late, talk about your problems and refuse to give them a show.

It's service industry (if high profile), people pay to get a performance from you. If she was a fire performer and did something comparable, we'd all be criticising her lack of professional attitude now.

.... that's what I'm saying! (about us jumping on a performer for a lack of professional attitude, among other things) lol.

Maybe it's coming from my differing perspective having seen what struggling bands would do for an audience like that, and audience that craves them to just do something, anything! Johnny Bass from Zodiac ruined his knee and decided to steal barstools to be able to play gigs. Danny Drak from Pighut hurt himself in failed rock-jump, so he sat down, moved his micstand so it could reach him on the floor, and continued to play until he felt able to at least hobble about stage. Same band, a guitarist's finger was broken when struck witha guitar head, and nobody noticed as he finished the gig. Again, same band (Pighut is kind of accident proned, I'm noticing), the singer broke his ankle in a car accident, and, again, he did all of his sets either seated at the edge of the stage or one a speaker.

Iunno.

I'm just saying, if I were in the audience and you couldn't give me what I paid to see, I'd be searching for you to do something else. A little dance. Origami. Silly little jokes. Anything.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I rather have an artist who is authentic, but fake...

She obviously doesn't want to do the gig and better she stands for it, but making some crappy B-gig.

Up to the audience to claim back their money.

All performers are the same as us: human. Even a machine can have a bad day... or a bad week... or month...

shrug such is life - sometimes it sucks harder than Bush.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Ry

Like, you know, couple of girls doing some pretty poi, and one tool yells 'Take it offf!'.. how much does that just stink?

Yes, that does stink. But the equivalent would be Miss Sovereign actually doing what she does and people being rude.

It seemed to me watching this that the young lady has hit a reality that performers have to deal with when they want to earn money from their hobby/talent; that it is now work, their job. And the price of doing what you like for a living is that sometimes you might have to do it when you don't feel like it. I hope she feels better now but all in all I don't think she hit a particularly rough crowd at all.
What's that written on her T-shirt?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I dunno who she is but i think that if your drunk (and not aggressive/violent) , that night doesnt count.

oh and go me for knowing what a chav is.
EDITED_BY: poje (1182778098)

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Gabe: 'Biggest Midget in the Game' is what it says.

smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.