LadyDayBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
This is the problem... I've bought these sock poi and filled them with balls made of rice inside a sock. The problem is that one of the pois are more bouncy and spinning differently compared to the other. I've weighed them and one of them is 2 gr heavier than the other. Is that enough to make them swing unevenly or might I be missing some other problem?

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
Two grams shouldn't make any difference at all. I'd look at the length and possibly your grip. If all the weight is in the head the two grams won't make any difference.

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
what sock poi are they?

Masked52member
83 posts

Posted:
I have a similar question. Should uneven fire poi make a difference? It's noticeable but does it have to be perfectly even?

Fire eaters are the most conceited people. Especially when they're on fire. "Help me, save me, put me out, me, me, me..."

-Paolo the Fire Eater

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
If your comfortable with it then go with it. Some people spin with one long poi and one short which is an incredible difference in the way each poi feels. As long as its not interfering with the way you spin or and your happy performig your tricks with them then its not a problem.

To point out the obvious though DO NOT SPIN WITH FIRE TILL YOU ARE HAPPY WITH THE FEEL OF THE POI. If it really bugs you get some new heads or try shortening the heavier poi slightly. That will have the effect of reducing the inertia/centrifugal force hence making it "feel" lighter.

Hope this helps. biggrin tongue

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
is it always the same poi? maybe your hands/arms are lop-sided

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Few questions for you so that we can offer you some better advise.

Are the socks that u are using actual socks or are they 'Foxy Sox'? (I'd stick with real socks but thats just my preference)

Have you tied a knot as a handle and if so are they evenly spaced and equally tight? (If they arn't even then fix it up and your poi should come right)

Do your socks have a lot of stretch or just a little and is the strechiness equal in each sock? (If not get new socks)

Are u a righty or a lefty and is the odd poi in your strong/weak hand? (Regardless swap Poi/Hands and see if the odd poi is still 'odd' in the other hand)

Hope that was some help

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
the better you get,
the less refined your toys need to be.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

LadyDayBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
Okay, here's the more detailed description...

It's the kind of "empty" sock poi you buy in poi-shops. The kind thats shaped like a cone. So no, they where never meant for an actual foot, but should be equally stretchy.
I've tied a knot as handles yes (I'm considering sowing on some two-loop handles, since I like those better). The knots are fairly even, one might be a centimeter (around half an inch) longer than the other.
I'm right handed. Been thinking about wether it's due to that, but I have a way more even swing with my friends poi (and less tangling and hitting myself).
I think I'm gonna go spin with a couple of other (more experienced) guys tonight and make them try these pois, see what they think.

LadyDayBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
They seem even now, after a few corrections. Oh, and after a lot of bruising and hitting myself in the head and the crotch simultaneously, I even learned the 3 beat weave yesterday, so I'm just a happy bunny!
Thanks for the advice guys.

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
glad to have been of service

Happy spinning weavesmiley

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil