DJ AmanSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
It's times like these that I wish I had a scanner cause I've drawn many of prototypes for this. I'm thinking of making the poi itself be a gourd. Problem 1: It will grow lighter and lighter while you use it. This probem has its advantages cause you would know when to refill. I'm going to have small, screw in nozzles to make the water coming out more graceful instead of a big hunk of water. now if the attachment loop is the top, then I'm going to apply 4 holes (one for each side, except the bottom) to make sure that however it twists and turns, water WILL come out. What about when the poi is almost empty and what water is in the poi is making the poi bend in unwanted directions?? Im' going to use the bottom as a LED lamp. This will make a permanent weight to keep the poi ball in the same direction no matter the loss of weight. What effect I'm trying to make with the LEDs is to illuminate the water inside so when the water comes out, for a short time it will be colored before it goes clear again and falls on the ground. Problem 2 (I know there are many of problems that I'm skipping but I could fill pages with them and would rather not.): Water Proofing. I'm thinking of how to make a water resistant/proof wall within the poi, between the light and water.

This is only a bit of what I've written in ideas for aqua poi. I don't even know if the idea of aqua poi has even been thought of soo... confused I just thought this would give me a perfect way to cool off from the summer heat, be outside, and practice my poi at the same time. But I'm not even sure if my illumination Idea will even work. shrug But this will give me something to do anyways. Idea would help. Also, tell major obivious flaws in my idea to me would be good. I can't find many major ones besides weight inbalance and waterproofing. help

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
lolsign Sounds like a great idea.

I'm a marine engineer SO i should be able to front an idea or two. First of all the gourd would be easiest to make from plastic so an accrylic mould or fairly thick version of cellophane similar to the stuff they use to make cammel backs. Prreferably the second one cus then its squishy and so hitting yourself/cracking it won't be such a problem. (plastic also gives the option of being clearfor coloured poi and water)

ubbidea This may be getting way to complicated but as a suggestion you could have the poi syphon water via flexible plastic tubing from a camel back type affair if you were willing to wear the water tubes up your arms to give you a much longer water supply. Thats moving towards a plastic sock poi to make it worthwhile though.

The illumination idea is perfectly feasable but you wouls have to either source a premade water proof light source like bath lights or water proof something yourself. If you have access to manufacturing equipment it should be fairly simple.....
On the assumption you don't I suggest diving equipment for the light source or to see if you can get some sort of small water proof capsule.

If you have any technical questions PM me and I'll see what I can come up with. Be good to hear how you get on.

A few things for ideas that you could use/toy around with

https://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/50214-solar-submersible-light-set.html
https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Powered-Floating-Light-Globe/dp/B000BC1D4O
https://www.artpromos.com/detail.asp?id=2073
https://www.brighton-canoes.co.uk/productpages/equipment/dry-bags.htm

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I have been kicking this idea arround too lately. I was thinking that the lights should be on the stage. That way you can use different colors like a light show, use strobes, and if you use club soda it will flouresce under black light. Put the spray head on the bottom of a plastic bottle. and spin away. Having a tube system would be great too. smile

There I gave away all my ideas now it's a rece to see who actually builds it first. :P

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Cool Idea and the race is on

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i say instead of water fill em with fuel and have jets of burning fuel coming out of em.......dont ask me if its at all possible but it sounds cool

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

zildjinboyBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
first- thats sounds like one of the coolest things i have heard of

second-for the weight problem you could use a weight of some source like a small fishing weight or something so they are always a minnimum weight

third-for the light you could use small 1" glowsticks they aren't too bright but they are small and cheap

fourth-they flame jet thing may or may not work i would start with the water and see how wet you would get and the only problem i can see is how you would get the gas get lit i would say wrap the gas container with fire poi wick like a giant monkey fist keeping the jets open and then you would have a fire poi set that would have major trails but you may have problems with things like buzz saws the moves would have to be very limmited cuz you couldn't get the gas on you cuz then you turn in to a burning peson and that would not be fun biggrin biggrin biggrin hope i helped

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
I had an idea similar to this, only it involved a heating element inside the poi heads so they released steam instead of water.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

ugoAgogoBRONZE Member
112 posts

Posted:
Great idea! me likes

this would be absolutly awsome to lets off at a hot festival in the middle of a dancfloor.

like the idea about tonic water and UV! would be best to illuminate a performance using UV strips or cannons, would have to be done outside though!

you could make a MASSIVE Canvass, fill the pois with paints and make some Poi art, that would be wicked =)
you could do it live at festivals as a performance piece,

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. . . . . . . . . . . . . ZAP

DJ AmanSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
 Written by: poje

i say instead of water fill em with fuel and have jets of burning fuel coming out of em.......dont ask me if its at all possible but it sounds cool

Actually I have seen that done before. That's how I got the idea in the first place. I think they used metal gourds though...

zildjinboyBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
yeah i would see if you can find a set up like that and adapt it for water instead of gas