Page:
Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Ok, i get really bad period pains when i'm on my period for the first day. Has anyone got any ideas as to what to take for it?

When i mean really bad i mean i'm crying my eyes out curled up in a ball type pain.

I tried the Pill but i didn't like the idea of altering my hormones and also the ones i tried had side effects, i know there are many different ones but i just dont want to take it. I've also tried a homeopathy one called New Generation that didn't work. Has anyone got any ideas? It's just i can't afford to spend one morning each month not being able to do anything.

Thanks
Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Yoyomember
25 posts

Posted:
Have you tried taking feminax, its especially for period pains. I have the same problem and although it doesnt take the pain away totally it takes the edge of it so you can get on with other things at the same time.

Hope you find a solution...if you do pass it on

xx

A beautiful person needs no other merit than they're own existence!

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
I can really sympathise with u hun , i have the same problem and i was put on the pill at 16 to try and control it. I've heard really good reports on Feminax, apparently it can also reduce moodswings and calm you down etc. I also find that if you don't want to take painkillers a hot water bottle and a comfy settee can work wonders, so can a big hug!
Hope it gets better for you. xx

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Hun, there are lots of solutions for lots of different people. Something that I have noticed is that it changes as you get older, it is not so painful.

However in the meantime there are the age old remedies of hot water bottles and tummy rubs. Back massages. Cat stretches yoga style. Pain killers.

Lifestyle wise, sometimes doing more exercise helps. I don't know much with regards to diet, but if you do a little research you may find something.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
For bloating - cut out caffeine, drink lots of water, avoid sweets, white bread etc.

For pain - pills and a hot water bottle strapped to your tummy. If at work, fill a pet bottke with hot water and use that in lieu of a hot water bottle.

You could try some form of meditation, yoga, pilates, tibetan rites. Reiki, Nikken magnets, Indian head massage?

If you have tried everything, perhaps you should see your doctor. If strong paracetamol is not at least denting the pain, you could be suffering due to Fibroids. For more info check hereFibroids

and symphathy

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Oh hunny - I totally feel for you.. in fact I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.. so sore it hurts to breath...?

I've tried Raspberry leaf tablets from the health food shop.. they use it for preganant women - it helps strenghen the uterine muscles to help the 'push' of child birth.. during P pains it will help as each contraction will be stronger and there for 'more usefull'.. I took it for about 4 months on the trot.. it's helped. Also all the stuff ma HoP sisters have mentioned above is great - the stretches are great.. but sometimes I know you don't want to move.. hotwater botties and camomile tea, and Clary sage essential oil in a burner (quite expensive and v strong - don't use if suffering from depressionand something else I can't remember - consult a healthy food person) Pain killahs that I use are buscopan (sp - elephant strenght) and feminax - but that tends to send me a little loopy and into durhh mode when I'm on them..

Oh and someting that should help for the future.. the good ol pelvic floor excercises..

Big hugs darling..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
This has to be the worst thing about being a girl. A hundred hugs

Feminax really works for me. Also hot scenty relaxing baths and hot water bottles. You can curl around the heat and not have to move!

Tummy rubs are great - get someone to massage your back/tummy or do it yourself (if you can) cos it seems to work on two levels.... it keeps your mind preoccupied as well as soothing and relaxing the muscles.

Good luck

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Excersise loosens up your abdominal muscles, or a hot water bottle sometimes soothes the pain for me. I'm lucky enough not to suffer from it as badly as you describe so cant give much more advice

sympathy

[ 13. May 2003, 22:28: Message edited by: jemmamimajemima (smallgirl) ]

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
if you get a tummy rub - make sure they do it clockwise on your tummy - then it won't mess too much with your digestion.. at least I think it's clockwise.. I'll read my massage book tonight and PM you..

they say that the more hassle you have during your periods the easier childbirth is supposed to be.. If I ever have kids they should pop out like greased lightnin

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
quote:
.. If I ever have kids they should pop out like greased lightnin

Gawd - there would want to be some compensation for having to go through all this pain don't ya think.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Zedmember
13 posts

Posted:
I've heard cutting down your salt intake helps...and i've found that it does. As does drinking heaps of water and exercise

i absolutely..LLOOOOOOVE hot water bottles. They're my best friend!!

Peace

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Ask the experts

- W B Yeats

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
One of my favorite remedies for severe cramps (I've had them so bad that I've actually thrown-up because of them) was sex. While it may sound strange and probably not what you would initially want, it really works to relax the muscles and tension in your body.

Listening to everyone else, a heating pad works great as well as exercise. While you probably don't want to move at all, getting your body in motion really does help (not a clue why, but trust us, it does).

You might also want to talk with your doctor about it. You could have endometriosis and there are several procedures which can be done to help eleviate that.

to you and I hope you find a workable solution soon.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Yoga is good for P pains, as is most exercise, but never ever invert yourself whilst menstruating.

My yoga teacher suggested that sipping hot boiled water could offer comfort and I found it worked quite well. Like having a hot water bottle on the inside

It will get better as you get older and after you have a baby.

Are we nearly there yet?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Well, everyone's bodies are different.
I was the same as you Pink Poi when I was younger, and bulemic. It was horrible. I found out that good nutrition, as others have mentioned, is imperitive.

Part of the cramping comes from (not to be crass or gross) blood clots. Aspirin, white willow bark (in tea form) and raspberry will help that.
The contraction of the muscles of the cervix makes it difficult for these to "flow" through.

Walking, much of it, the week before you are "do" helps alot. The kind where you really extend your stride back and stretch the abdominal muscles. Stretching helps alot. I don't recommend Pilates at all, because there is such a pressure from many of the exercises. Hatha yoga, and Thistle is spot on with the no upside down part, is gentle and nice.

All this talk of tummy rubs is interesting, since I don't want to be touched much at all during that time.

My biggest issue is I get sooooo tired. All I want to do is sleep.

Take care all of you...and just think, only decades to go before menopause! lol

P

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone

I don't know what i would do without you guys on here

I shall try the above, and hopefully it shall ease the pain

grr...it's times like these i hate being female!

Alice

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
As the only guy posting in this thread I would just like to rub it in that I have never had any of these problems.

Pyro_TechCrazy Nutter stuck in Farmidale...
264 posts

Posted:
Yay for heat packs and hot water bottles...!

I must be strange, but I can't STAND being given tummy rubs when I have tummy pains!! Back rubs are okay, but I cant stand to have someone touch my stomach or I'll be sick.
From the age of 14 to about 18 I literally used to have up to 4 days off school with period pains.
Nothing I was prescribed helped...

Now, I have worked out my own little method....lots and lots of stretching when I feel a bad one coming on to loosen up a bit, then I take a couple of panadols or something, crawl into bed with a movie that is likely to absorb my attention and a heat pack, then a curl into a ball and keep one foot moving.... hhmm....Sounds odd I know, but after several years of perfecting the art, this is what I have come up with...!
The movement of my foot and something on the tele usually distracts me enought that the pain subsides without me thinking about it too much....

Good luck with finding your remedy...!
Rach

We all take different paths in life, but no matter which path we take, we take a little of each other everywhere...

Pyro_TechCrazy Nutter stuck in Farmidale...
264 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Astar:
As the only guy posting in this thread I would just like to rub it in that I have never had any of these problems.

Astar... That comment is sooooo gonna come right back round and bite you on the bum one day...!

We all take different paths in life, but no matter which path we take, we take a little of each other everywhere...

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:

um..okay, I'm obviously not an expert and seem to be the only bloke to post in here, actaully I didn't read the thread so if anyone's suggested this already I apologize.
And I have to say it's not the best idea either for long term solution, but all my female friends swear by having a spliff to sort it out.
Okay, two pence spent

boing...boing...When the naive man admits his naivete, he is no longer naive.Thus, all people are regarded by society as either ignorant or a liar.Wonders never cease, as long as you never cease to wonder.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I totally agree with that - Queen Victoria used to have tea made for her.. but these days it's not always appropriate to use what is in essence an illegal drug..

Shame tho - just another thing that canabinoids are good for..

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
* note *

*a thread that smallboy has not yet posted in*

if i could lend a hand i would, dont have first hand experience but have suffered from the pressures of a female menstral cycle, the tourments and heart ache caused by a partner in this situation, it aint nice. i hope you succeed if finding your answers miss pink.

MiSsFrOgmember
187 posts

Posted:
i have a good solution for pms..
Non-Https Image Link

have sex!
Non-Https Image Link

they say that sex is the best thing for menstrual cramps... i know that once you are blessed with aunt flow
Non-Https Image Link
that it can be pretty nasty... but try the shower... it works wonders.
another solution, i dont know if they have them everywhere is those new things from tampax, the heating pads that you stick on yourself... those work wonders as well.
also, sitting in a spa or exersize is key when you have really bad cramps.
or stick to good old fashioned motrin or ibuprofin.
the pill is bad news if you are an airhead like me i forget to take them all the time.
The whole point to this is to have sex... it will make you feel better

Non-Https Image Link

Its not easy being green....

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
The use of that explodeing smiley is pure comedy.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
ok.. the legal herbage I would recommend is...
Valerian - natures own tranq. Best taken in tea or capsule form.

Dong quai and penny royal - good for crampage

and as Pele said white willow bark - less irritating to the stomach than asperin.

Believe it or not Calcium is also good for cramps - most women suffer from a lack of calcuim (brittle bones in later life) and iron. They recommend at least 800 mg per day, if you are going to take calcium, make sure it has a little Vit D in it too - thats needed for you body to absorb it..

as with all suppliments - if you are on medication or preggers or anything *CONSULT you doc**

and massaging the tummy.. gentle small circles in a clockwise direction( as the person giving the massage is lookin) that way you won't mess too much with the flow of chi in your body, add a few drops of lavender, clary sage ( to help lift the 'why me' feelin - don't use if clinically depressed tho) and Marjoram.. I can mix you some up and give it to you next time I see you if you like..

phew.. geek out..

CheshireCatmember
51 posts

Posted:
theres a pressure point on your knee for this! preferably someone else(makes it easier) grabs your kneecap from the front and will find 2points right behind the top of it. you or also this other person will find one about halfway down the inside of your leg(its this little dent you never knew was there) press all three for up to a minute. repeat on other leg. dont know if itll fix something that bad, but should at least help and is easy anytime anywhere =)
*big hug* hope you feel better!

It aint broke...It just lacks large amounts of duct-tape!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
Thanks again people!

Unfortunatly i can't use the knee cap thing as i hate people touching my knee caps (2 years of physiotherapy, when the therapist moves your knee caps around randomly does that to you). I cringe and go violent whenever anyone goes near my knee caps (making me cringe now talking about it)

But shall try herbal remedies as they seem to be good, and also the exercise, stretching and massages seem good

Thank you so much i owe you all one!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MiSsFrOg19:

another solution, i dont know if they have them everywhere is those new things from tampax, the heating pads that you stick on yourself... those work wonders as well.

My friend helped develop these actually. His wife has a crapload from when they came out on the market. They work wonders for her but not for me or another friend of ours. However, for those it does work for, it is amazing, so it is worth a shot!

And for the sex thing. Not for me...makes it worse. I like to ummm...finish my ice cream ...and for me that is so intense that coupled with P symptoms, it is just hurtful.

And Astar....I would rather be a girl anyday. 3 or 4 days of inconvenience compared to not wanting to stand up in public because a pretty girl bent over, and then having that achey feeling in the abdomen later...no thanks! At least my inconvience is scheduled so I can plan for it! LOL

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
HAHAHAHAHA

that is soooo true, pele.... XDDDD

i'm not going into the discussion of girls VS. boys, but i like your point, and as it is in a (theoretically) girls only section, i'll ignore it...

as for pink poi that's the best i can do, hope it helps...

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Essential Oils solution

Combine a few drops of Cypress oil which has antispasmodic properties with Lavender oil for relaxation. Rosemary also has antispasmodic properties.

Either mix with a carrier oil and
- massage into the abdomen
- add to a warm bath

Make a hot compress for your tummy
Fill a bowl with hot water and add about 5 drops of oil. Soak a soft cloth, squeeze out excess water and place the cloth on the abdomen

- W B Yeats

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
okay, here come me.
first, sex during period is great, but actually just getting licked is much better. often, especially if you are already having problems, the weenie can just poke things that aren't ready to get poked yet. also sometimes sperm can irritate the insides there, it is acidic, and your gooey parts are alread having a hard time. licking is better cause you are less likely to get any muscles in there poked the wrong way,when they are not ready yet. (unless you have a real expert on hand that knows how to be super gentle, *ahem* )

second, vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is a great remedy for many, it helps reduce the cramping in muscles.
stretching, during the month, i can't emphasise enough. the muscles are cramping because they haven't been used to working like that, going into overtime out of nothing.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Page: