affect friendship?

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure they are all that different. Sometimes a 'virtual' friendship, as you define it above, is easier than a non-virtual interaction, but other times it can be harder - it depends on who is involved and the circumstances. I have had a fair few non-virtual friendships that have become virtual friendships when, for example, I've moved away and kept in contact via email and phone. Same goes vice versa, I've had virtual friends who I've met up with so they've become non-virtual.

Obviously in virtual friendships there's a lack of physical contact and body language, some people find it easier to communicate without these things than others.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
Different social environmment entirely, some people are V different on the net, normally shy people that may feel physically intimidated amongst large groups can be very socially expressive in forums.

Simmilarly, people who are just large, loud an abbrasive or very attractive when placed in a social environment where looks and phisical ability have very little/ no social advantagemay find it difficult to cope "relying on their wits".

I know there's people i know who however lovely an attractive they may be I'd never have spoken too in a purely intelectual environment cus they have a poor IQ for a glass of water. Ergo, the freinds you make on the internet whilst not "real" in the physical sense are probably more real in a a freindship sense as there are no phisycal factors to influence your liking them or not liking them.

you wouldn't guess from this rant but i'm actually really against the internet as a social tool, i think its much better to be able to get a hug from a real person. Also physical interaction is a really important part of social development. On the flip side without technology (phones internet) my long distance relationship (300 miles) would be impossible.

Go figure confused2

oh one last thing... grouphug

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
way to go, I'm well in agree with both above posts.

Internet is a good thing, but however can also be a bad thing.

I met my partner via the internet that turned out ok in parts, I visited 3 times before deciding to move to where she lived.

I have lots of friends that I keep in contact with via the internet, I can call my mum for free via the internet, so it does have it's bonuses.

It's also a place where I can show photos and information and find and meet other people that are interested in the same things.

As in the above 2 posts... lots of very good points.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
I have two best friends, one who I met in preschool at age 3 and one who I met via the internet (actually through this site smile ). Both are extremely important to me, and both I'm incredibly close with. I think the internet has opened up doors for us to find people we really connect with that we wouldn't have met otherwise. Obviously it has it's drawbacks in some areas for distancing us, but I have lived in several different areas and I wouldn't have been able to sustain those friendships after moving away if it weren't for the internet. And I never would have met my best friend, and I can't imagine my life without him. So I'm all for "virtual" friendships smile (as long as those aren't the only friends you have!)

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I virtually love pouncy ubblove

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
less physical prejudice. that could be a good thing, especially for the long term (lusty relationships need alot of work and sometimes lube to maintain in the long-term.)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
hnnn i virtually love rougie ubblove

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
On the downside, people can be dishonest, and if you can't see them physically and you only know them through the internet, how can you judge how honest people are? (not that I'm cynical, I think most of the people I chat to here are great, but I sometimes wonder if my opinions about people who I think are great would be as accurate if I met them in real life.)

It's really good that you can't make judgements about people based on physical appearance though, and I do like the way we judge each other based on our personality attributes, like our intellect, opinions and attitudes, reasoning, ability to communicate ideas clearly and express empathy/compassion etc.

I still think some poeple find it easier than others to communicate without physical contact though, which might cause barriers... for example, maybe there's someone on HoP and I read their posts and think to myself I probably wouldn't get on well with that person, but maybe in fact they're great and I would get on well with them, and it's just the way they express themselves doesn't do them justice.

There's plenty of room for misunderstandings, I've seen plenty of threads on HoP where it appears that a person's posts get taken completely the wrong way, everyone gets upset/offended and said person has to apologise profusely and try to explain what they meant more clearly in a non-offensive way... but sometimes this creates a lasting impression about said person that's hard to undo, that affects how people treat them in future conversations.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan