Forums > Help! > Putting out the flame?

Login/Join to Participate

Masked52member
83 posts

Posted:
What should I look for as signs of when its ready to put out the flame before it burns the wick. I've been just guessing on poi and staff for the past month I've been doing this, I did it whenever the poi or staff would go out when spinning and then relight up when still again.

Any advice?

Fire eaters are the most conceited people. Especially when they're on fire. "Help me, save me, put me out, me, me, me..."

-Paolo the Fire Eater

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
depending on wicks(6" poi or 4" doubles) and the speed of repertoire(mildly to zomg fast), i've grown to expect 4 and a half to 5 minutes out of a spin.

if it lasts too long, consider sharing toys with a relief twirler or a wet towel. don't dip your firetoy into water, or into my crotch.

as time goes on and you keep your practice up, your increased stamina will cause you to want longer burning toys!

generally, the thicker the wick, the more fuel it will contain, the longer fuel will evaporate from it, the longer the burn.
however with large toys with extensive wicking such as swords sometimes tend to not last as long as you'd think. This is because although there is alot of kevlar it doesn't get wound around as many layers, limiting the duration for which fuel is retained.

your individual mileage may vary. smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Don't put your flames out untill they go out but if you insist on exstiguishing them, then use a damp towl or an old piece of carpet, to suffocate the flames.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Masked52

What should I look for as signs of when its ready to put out the flame before it burns the wick. I've been just guessing on poi and staff for the past month I've been doing this, I did it whenever the poi or staff would go out when spinning and then relight up when still again.

Any advice?

Yes. Write more clearly.

Wick doesn't burn. That's why it is wick not fuel.

Extinguish whenever you want to. It is common, particularly in performance, to extinguish before the flame gets very low and looks lame. In general spinning people often keep spinning until the flame goes out by itself. I don't know why dizzyphoenix says not to.

I agree with him/her that using a damp towel is indeed the easiest and safest method.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Masked52member
83 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Wick doesn't burn. That's why it is wick not fuel.

Extinguish whenever you want to. It is common, particularly in performance, to extinguish before the flame gets very low and looks lame. In general spinning people often keep spinning until the flame goes out by itself. I don't know why dizzyphoenix says not to.

I agree with him/her that using a damp towel is indeed the easiest and safest method.

A fire manual I received from Trick Concepts says:

"It is best to put out your tools before they burn out on their own. As fuel runs out, the wick will start burning."

That's where I got it.
EDITED_BY: Masked52 (1181864857)

Fire eaters are the most conceited people. Especially when they're on fire. "Help me, save me, put me out, me, me, me..."

-Paolo the Fire Eater

6,978 posts

Posted:
once you get into throws, wick care is less an issue of maintaining efficiency, and more an issue of damage control.

fire twirling is a realatively cheap hobby if you're smart about it. i find little use in cutting short the fun of a twirl to maintain a firetoy's state for a few more weeks.

you only live once.

b

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Cheers bender

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Yes the wicks will start to deteriorate and or burn at a certain point. Your best bet is to spin them as usual and put them out whenever you like. But once they are out they will smoulder and that's where the damage to the wick occurs. As long as it isn't smouldering too much dip it again in fuel for your next burn. This stops the smouldering or baking if you like by cooling off the wick and metal. When your done burning and do not wish to put it in fuel again use a wet towel and really get in there to the metal and hot parts to cool them off. You don't need to get it wet, just cooled off and smouthered. Some deterioration is unavoidable, but if you with to be conscious about the proccess this is what I suggest. smile

Cody

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Masked52member
83 posts

Posted:
So I can just redip them in fuel and leave them till my next spin?

-Paolo the Fire Eater

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ive do that usually. smile
Though it really is best to give them an extra hard spin off to get rid of as much fuel as possible seeing as you wont be lighting them anyway - you will redunk them the next time you spin.

My current wicks totally reak of paraffin for some reason, they dont usually smell this bad, but they have stunk out my big rucksack, and everything that was inside.
Also, everything now coming out of the washing machine also stinks of paraffin too, after I washed the contents of the bag frown

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
who washed the contents???????

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Sorry my love, You washed the contents ubbangel

( kiss hug )

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Actually that wasn't what I was implying. If your going to spin them again that night then yes dip them again to cool them off. But if your done for the night and going home don't dip them in fuel again, just put them out and use the wet towel as I described above, That way there isn't fule in your wicks, which I see as a fire hazrd. Take the fuel home in a sealed container not on your wicks. smile

Cody Canon

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ya I don't agree with storing soaked wicks for many reasons.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Nor do I... not least of all because they stink our house out!

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
1,965 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna disagree with all of you coz i religiously soak my wicks at the end of the night coz i find it can improve the life of your wicks by 3 months to a year depending on how frequently you spin with them.

As to the smell wrap them in a plastic bag and store them in an airtight container (I use a Milo tin).

At the end of the day it's your choice but I personally think that it's worth it.

Note to Newgabe: I ment to say spin untill they go out on their own and only exstingish them if you are feeling wimpy.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Have you done extensive studies to back that claim up Dizzy, because I don't think it does extend the life of wicks at all. As long as when you put your wicks out for the final time you don't leave them smouldering I really don't see how storing your wicks soaked in fuel can make any difference at all.

IMO all storing you wicks soaked in fuel does is make them more dangerous to transport about, make your kit bag smell (even if you do wrap them in plastic and put them in airtight containers, somehow the smell still seems to get out) and waste fuel.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I exclusively use white gass and personally don't worry much about deteriorating wicks, I replace them routienly every year. For me it's easier to simply worry about fuel in the paint can and just throw my poi in a bag and be done with the whole mess. I would also worry about my grips. They are leather so having them close to a fuel source during storage could impregnate the leather with fuel. This could do harm to the grips i.e. break them down or harden them. Or worst of all make them extremely flamable the first time I lit up at the next event.

But to each their own I guess. smile

Cody Canon

6,978 posts

Posted:
soaked toys will stain any fabric they touch.

this is the second main reason why u dun twirl in miniskirts no more...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
And whats the first main reason for that? rolleyes

btw: is spinferno currently experiencing server problems? offtopic spank
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1182411732)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

6,978 posts

Posted:
two words mate, leg & wax.

um not the server, although i'm sure the server has enough wax of it's own. nothing wrong with the server, the site loads fine for me, perhaps PM me your browser/url you're visting/bank PIN number and i'll try to reproduce the error.

back to the topic, my presonal choice is that the danger, mess and general extra work involved with dipping fire toys in fuel after a burn aren't worth the percieved benefit of a little extra time before i replace them anyway. for sake of sparta, we are talking about taking care of somethine that we set on fire frequently!!!

when my twirling days are over, a hundred years from now, i will look back and say "yus, yus i could have twirled even more without worrying about little dunkey issues. oh my waxing them legs was not the best of ideas. mr officer."

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You gotta be kidding! ubblol Legs & wax?

On topic: Depending on the occasion and my mood. Occasionally I like to get really slow, endure the burntime. Call me ShloMo. At last I almost kiss the dying flame, lick it off the wick if you want to put it this way.

Ah! A picture speaks more than...

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1182537903)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
1,965 posts

Posted:
Random and off topic

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
I like it. It reminded me of an emotional aspect of spinning, the sense of involvement with the element...

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
either spin till the flame is very small and turns blue then you can blow it out from the lower part upwards or spin till they get out by themselves....or use a damp towel!

any questions?

hug
tina

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*