Forums > Social Chat > Weird Things You Believed as a Kid

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Remember when you were a little tacker and you believed some crazy things?

Like when I was a kid I thought that if whales were so big, how did they fit in the ocean?

so! C'mon people! What weird things did you believe?

ubbrollsmile

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

nikki84newbie
4 posts

Posted:
I dont know where i got it from but when i was little i used to believe that all asian kids were born knowing everything and that they didnt have to go to school because of it. i wished i was asian until i found out it wasnt the case!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I was scared of the filter in pools!

haha! i love this! cos I read other peoples and realised that i thought them too! ubblol

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
yep its good to know that it wasnt just me :-) come to think of it I had a lot of issues with pools frown well I love them now

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
That at night, my heartbeat became the footsteps of the germ army that was marching in perfect synchronisity to come and get me.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Ohhh pools, I forgot about those too....my sister told me that those creepy crawlies (pool cleaner machines) would suck up people and they would disppear forever. I believed it.

Even to this day I won't go near them when I am trying to swim.

Firewarriornewbie
10 posts

Posted:
i believed that a monster called BOBOK lives in a cupboard and i was afraid to open it...

Are you as bored as me? smile
466656923 - my ICQ

zamiriiBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
i used to believe that if you weren't careful when you put your foot down off the bed, it would get attacked.. i grew out of it.

but after i moved in with my new wife and her cat.. i believed again -- since the cat loves to attack and bite! (esp from under the bed)

Every Day I add another name to the list of people who piss me off

janatheGOLD Member
18 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

haha! I did the graveyard one too!!

And when you cross train tracks in the car, you need to lift your feet off the floor and hold your breath there too!!

We also had to touch a screw as we went over the train tracks.

Also, when you went over the cow grates you had to open the door to let the little troll in for a ride, and let him out at the next grate.

motionless_shadownewbie
12 posts

Posted:
my mum used to tell me about the money tree at the bottom of the garden....so i looked for it for hours. when i was upset about not finding it, she told me it had run out.so i burried her handbag in the hope a new one would grow. i never did tell her......

Your intelligence is STUPID

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
LMAO!!! I thought I was alone on that one!

When my parents said something about money growing on trees, I tried to bury pennies in the back yard to make money trees. Because acorns come off of trees and make trees grow in the spot you bury them, so by all logic, if money grew on trees, then pennies, as the smallest part, HAD to be the money tree seeds!

*sheepish*

I also believed that, when people were driving, the world didn't move- the cars did! However, ask me how two cars drove at the same time, and I had no clue.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I believed there were sharks in our local lake - imagine how scared I was when I fell in!

Kupo!

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jarle

I believed there were sharks in our local lake - imagine how scared I was when I fell in!

..... worse.

All of us school kids believed there was a shark in the local lake that would swim up and devour children swimming unattended....

.... but, to our defense, our town had a strange claim to fame.

It's the "Matawan Man-Eater" that started the 12 days of terror and inspired Jaws. Situated 11 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, Matawan has always been a sleepy, boring little borough. However, a shark thought to have attacked swimmers in July of 1916 at Beach Haven at Spring Lake, swam up the Matawan Creek and attacked three bathers, most noteably a boy named Lester Stillwell (the first victim to actually be killed). It was first spotted by a fisherman as he crossed the bridge at the mouth of the creek, but no one believed him. That became important to the myth spreading around the town because, as frightened children would claim to see the shark, if someone were to point out that it couldn't be, everyone would always point to the fisherman having spotted the shark and called a liar.

.... however, may I point out that the lake in question is Lake Lefferts, which was created by damming the creek with a 12 foot tall spill gate, those making it impossible for anything from the brackish creek to enter the freshwater lake...... but you still couldn't convince us otherwise (dolphins can jump that high, y'know!)

Let it never be said we were the brightest crayons in the box in our public schools.

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kathain_Bowen

I also believed that, when people were driving, the world didn't move- the cars did! However, ask me how two cars drove at the same time, and I had no clue.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure that cars do move when people drive them.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think maybe she means the cars didn't move, but the world did wink

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Hahah my boyfriend told me a story last night about some thing that happend to him as a kid that reminded me of this thread.

He woke up on his sixth birthday came running in to see his parents and they told him that it was wedensday and that he had slept through his birthday. They said that they tryed to wake him but could not.
So as you can imagin he was a little disalusiond so he went to go watch morning cartoons and sulk.
Then just when he wasn't expecting it his mum ran in to the room with streamers a cake and those partly wistle things. It is so cute hearing him tell the story about how happy and exiting it was.

This one happend to me.
when i was around 12 or some thing i was watching AFL with my dad, I did'nt really understand AFL at that time or watch it very often.

We were waching a guy about to kick, and you know how they always pull their socks up methodicly before they kick, well I asked my dad why they did that.Then with out batting an eye lid he told me it was a sock code that they used to tell their own team what kind of kick they were going to do ( kind of like the secret code that pitchers and catchers have in base ball). After that i never really thought about it untill i was watching AFL with some friends recently and made a huge ass of my self talking about sock codes.

Now i acctually think about it, it seems so silly beacuse why would they have to tell there team what kind of goal they were kicking.

Also when i was a lot younger i thought that cricket was played like tennis, in that they batters had to hit the ball back and forth between them.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Ooo i thought of another one, this happend to my cousin and is really quit funny for us but enbarrasing for him.

My anty and uncle use to call horderves, horsy dovers i don't know why it was just on of those weird funny things that people do. Any who this lead to my cosin thinking that was acctually how you pronounced the word.

In most cases this would not really be a problem not many people use the word any way. But my cousin is in the Air force now and had to go to a really fancy dinner thing with very importent people, ie The Queen. He was calling the horsy dovers most of the night untill his girl friend managed to pull him a way and explain.

(Oh you also have to imaging him saying horsy dovers in the flatest austrlian accent possible.)
EDITED_BY: Blueberry (1182924726)

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
I had what most people think of as a weird upbringing - we too called them "horses doofers". We had lots of weird and wonderful sayings for things which still amuse most of my sons except the oldest (15yr old cynic of the world) who just looks at me as if I'm "sad" and maybe he'll deign to mention that is "random" ubblol

Well, I believed my christened/legal name was "Geordie" (everyone called me that) right up until I joined the Air Force at age 18 and told them my name was "Geordie" but I wanted to be called "George". They took one look at the birth certificate and said the equivalent of "duh"!

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I used to think that wind travelled through space to us, from the sun..
rolleyes

422 posts

Posted:

Thanks, platonic love! My mum and I were laughing too hard at both some of the things on here, and some of the things we both believed when we were children. (Apparently, Mum believed in some funny things when she was a little girl- like that the nuns would beat her senseless if she was late for class).

Yes, I believed that cars DIDN'T move, the world did. But, like I said, ask me how two cars went in two different directions at the same time, and I couldn't wrap my head around it. ubbrollsmile

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'm still very stumped on how George didn't know his name! eek

I know quite a few people who go by their middle names, but they know it's their middle name (and so do their close friends) but wow! man, that must be so weird!

addict
449 posts

Posted:

Yea i know i was just being a smartass eek

Actually according to Einstein, the world really does move when you're driving a car - it all depends on your perspective (or your inertial frame as he called it). Nothing is really stationary, everything moves relative to other things. The Earth isn't stationary at all, it spins and likes to orbit stuff.

If there are two or more cars, what happens then? Well since each driver has their own inertial frame, the earth moves differently depending on their individual perspective.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
This is a cool thread....

I always thought when riding in the car i could change the speed of it. Example: If you pick a spot up ahead of you and follow it past your window, It's going slow. Right as it gets up to you and your window is speeds past really fast. lol.

I never had the escalator thing but it makes me think of Mallrats. "That kid is BACK on the escalator again!"

i thought that the wind came from kids playing on trees really far away.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

janatheGOLD Member
18 posts

Posted:
This one winter when I was 3 or 4, it snowed alot. All the kids were outside playing in it, they wouldn't let me because I was the youngest of 6 kids. Finally, they called me out and I was so excited. All of a sudden they start kind of dissapearing, and this giant snowman they had built started talking to me. eek It knew my name and everything!!! I started sceaming and running back in my grandmas house, but my sister had gone in the other way and locked me out. I was so scared the snowman was going to get me. It just kept saying " I'm a nice snowman."
I found out later my cousin had got some walkie talkies for christmas and put one behind the snowman and had gone to the front of the house. This is such a highlight at all the family gatherings. I like to tell them I am still scared of snowmen and can't play in it. redface

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
oh that's such a cruel thing to do!

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
I belive that my tiwn sister coud fly she thought she could too

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
My little sister couldn't pronounce my Uncle Greg's name, so I spent most of my childhood years calling him Uncle Grr and thinking he was part bear.

Kupo!

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Oh.. remembered another one.. I can't remember how old I was when my brother told me it was my parents giving me presents at Christmas, not Santa.. I must have been about 4, I think..
.. But until I was about 12, I firmly belived that if I ever let on I knew it was them, they'd stop giving me presents, and we wouldn't bother with Christmas anymore..

Not something I belived, but just Harle's post reminded me - both me and my Mum couldn't spell her Uncle's name as kids.. he has a big collection of cards 'to Uncle Brain'.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

addict
449 posts

Posted:
Mum would tell me stories about what it was like living in the 19th century, about old fashioned technology and how people lived etc. She called it the 'olden days'. But, she forgot to mention that the 'olden days' occured in the past... resulting in me thinking that the 'olden days' was actually a sepia-coloured alternate reality where people currently exist.

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
wow

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I thought a similar thing - because they didn't have colour TV in the past, I beleived that there wasn't any colour at all in my parents generation.

Except brown.

Kupo!

Page: