Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Alcohol has been found in some soft drinks in Turkey, read the story here.

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Let me get this straight.

A shot of alcohol is two fluid ounces, or 60 ml. Assuming for the moment that we're talking about 100-proof alcohol, which is 50% alcohol volume/volume, one shot contains just under 30g of alcohol (which has a density of just under 1g/ml).

In an entire LITER of 7-Up there is 0.44g of alcohol, less than 1/2 ml of 100% ethanol. That is less than 1/60 of a shot of alcohol in an entire liter. Or, the alcohol content is 0.44% weight/volume.

In any human being, even a child, that amount of alcohol would be destroyed in the liver before it ever hit the systemic circulation.

I believe the verb to describe this is "muckraking."

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
oo, very odd..

i think i heard of something similar happen in australia recently.. except it was a mislabeled can of scotch and coke.. but my mind could be making stuff up.. again smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I thought this thread was going to be about the ethics of "chick drinks" ie; Bacardi Breezers, Vodka Cruisers, etc...

I think the problem in this case is that it's Turkey which is primarily Muslim and they don't drink alcohol (as far as I know).

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I have quite a few turkish friends and you are right they arn't supposed to drink alcohol but thats never stoped them from getting blind drunk.

Shame that this thread isn't about the evils of alcopops (all except bourbon and coke coz thats my tipple of late) but hey ho.

I think that Doc L has got his finger on the pulse for this topic coz there isn't enough alcohol in the drink to get an infant pissed and I'm quite surprised that anybody even noticed at such a low %.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Mind you, some Muslims do take it very seriously- I've been to a few fish-and-chip shops where they use 'non-brewed condiment', due to vinegar's alcohol content..

I did try and imagine how you'd get drunk on fish and chips, but my mind sort of boggled a bit.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i love alcho pops... but that isn't what the thread is about.

i can understand it from a muslim point though... well the ones who stick to the orthodox beliefs anyway. i think it would take far too much vinegar to get you drunkn infact i would be pretty sure you would be sick before you had enough to get even tipsy.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
yup my muslim friend was all about the bars, but I know his parents were against all and any alcohol.
I guess as a Muslim I would be upset, but from a nonMuslim view it's not that big of a deal

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

I believe the verb to describe this is "muckraking."

more like moralistic fearmongering wink

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Just to clear things up almost all of the turks that i know are as good at being muslim as they are at quantum-physics. This isn't to say that all turks are bad muslims but in my experiance they tend to ignor the guidence of their religion, both at home and abroad.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

astar2member
37 posts

Posted:
What a waste of good alcohol.

3,556 posts

Posted:
they sound like Catholics smile

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Locally, a buddy of mine was a Turkish Muslim ( before he moved to Japan two years ago and dropped off the face of the Earth ) and he was also a shameless alcoholic who had a "so what" attitude towards the conflicting views of his religion and chosen lifestyle.

Once, I was sitting in a bar in Turkey, when the 15 year old bartender reached up, grabbed the bar price list and hastily threw it behind the bar. When I asked him why he did this he replied..."Turkish people just came in, they're Muslims and not supposed to drink, so by order of the mayor ( of the town, Goreme,Cappadocia ), Turkish people have to pay triple the price that everyone else does"

And then he put on the only "western" music that they'd play in that country...Cat Stevens...again.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Well it might not just be because of Muslims, but also because of (ex) alcoholics, why labelling such "soft" drinks ain't such a bad idea....

Being "Muslim" means pretty much the same as being "Buddhist" or "Christian"... if you're just born with it, it may have the same meaning as your earlobes, not being properly attached to your head shrug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I suppose it is moralistic, and if you gave a practicing jew meat containing just 0.044% (0.44% would be 0.44g in 100 ml) pork, or a vegan food containing just 0.44% meat, etc etc (examples picked at random, please substitute with religious/moralistic diet of your choice), I assume they'd not be too impressed either. BUT, this is about the alcohol forming naturally from fermentation, not being added by the companies.

So I think it would be nice to put it on the bottles so that the people who actually are concerned can go without them and have just water or artificially sweetened drinks instead. Though if it happens in all carbohydrate-rich drinks, fruit juices (and probably fruit!) would be taboo, too.

I agree though that the main point here seems to be nitpicking and scaremongering instead of real concern.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Look, if uber-religions Muslims want to get up in arms about this then they'd better stop eating bread, too. Bread is made with yeast and that causes production of alcohol. In fact, any grain is contaminated with small amounts of alcohol from the fermentation of bacteria and yeast that invariably contaminate it. The same is true of any fruit once the skin has been broken. ANYTHING with carbohydrates in it will necessarily contain traces of alcohol unless it is kept perfectly sterile.

-Mike

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
One more reason not to be extreme about anything - like those fool vegans who starved their baby to death for their principles.

Taking things to their (il)logical conclusion is best done in theory, not practice

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

3,556 posts

Posted:
some breads don't have yeast, some flatbreads and matza, I like them a bit better because they are good and hearty

Faith

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

some breads don't have yeast, some flatbreads and matza, I like them a bit better because they are good and hearty

Yeast is ubiquitous. Candida albicans is a yeast that colonizes the human body. It can be cultured from just about any surface that a human has touched and it can ferment alcohol. And that's just one example.

If it's sugar, it will make alcohol unless it's absolutely sterile.

-Mike

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I think the problem was less the fact that the stuff does contain traces of alcohol than the way the "news" was made up. The article quoted mentions that all carbohydrate-containing drinks contain alcohol traces. A scientist will be able to extrapolate.

However, I suspect the original news article was more along the lines of "hidden alcohol in soft drinks" or whatever the turkish equivalent would be, and it's no wonder people got concerned.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

3,556 posts

Posted:
see the media is evil devil

Faith