thesynapseSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
Hi all,

I was wondering who on this forum does or can do flair bartending. Do you have any hints, tips, encouragement etc. you might be able to pass on?

To illustrate where I am now; I actually got into 'skill toys' type stuff through poi. I then fancied doing that bar flair kind of stuff (this is without having seen Cocktail incidentally!). So I've gone and brought a practice bottle, a shaker tin and a FlairCo working bar flair DVD (with Dean Serneels). This is what I have.

Understandably, this stuff takes a lot of practice and I must admit that I'm finding it really tough. But could anyone tell me thier stories on how they got where they are now? Like how did you get into it? How did you get good at it? What kind of regimes, principles, activities would be useful to me other than the obvious "practice a lot"? What encouraged you?

I live in London, England and go to the big circus skills meet in East London, but regrettably there's no one there who could help me along. Any online websites that could add or help out with the material I've already got?

I think you get the idea. I'd be most grateful if anyone could help me out. Actually, I'm moving to Manchester, England soon. There isn't anyone who does this stuff up there at any meets is there?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I don't know many bar flair people atm, mostly just dabblers who work behind bars and get bored so give it a go.

I think it gets more competitive than other skill toys, as among the dedicated it's seen really clearly as 'if I can do X and no one else can, then I can win that high paid high profile bar job at Y expensive place'

so there's less friendly sharing.

I could be wrong though, as I said, don't know many at all..

end of the day it's like CJ, practice , practice and more practice.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Theres a big thread on this[Old link]

smile

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
cool. & looks like I wasn't entirely wrong though going by devkev's comments smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

thesynapseSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
Doh! Embarrassing. I'm normally very good at searching before I post (I post on forums rarely). Many thanks for the pointer.

Wow! It IS a long thread. Will have to go and read it now.

Cheers