Forums > Social Discussion > seadragon - Micorsoft amazing image application

Login/Join to Participate

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Morning all, thought i would share some stuff i have come across in the past few months, based on Web 2.0 (the principle being to use the web as a giant OS, to build and developer the end user web experience beyond static HTML pages.

For example, .net, SOA technologies, three tier architectures and so on. These are replacing static sites, with things like wiki's, myspace, face book, and so on, so the content is written and updated by millions of users not just a hand full in an admin team

So i have been watching the Dev work of SeaDragon of the past few months, i think this is going to be an amzing application and something fairly revolutionary, in how we currently use image search and so on.

It is very similar to the way google earth works, but with some serious changes that you will see straight away once to watch the video below.

Basically, i cant explain it as well as this video of the application can.

A short demo of what seaDragon can do, but this does not show you some of the wicked ways it works, like the video below.

one of the ideas i like about this, is all the people who would go to a festival, like play festival and all teh photos taken where linked in and tagged with meta data.

Now you have all these images of play festival, and with a little work, and some time, you would be able to fly around play, zooming in on details you thought you had missed, like people doing tricks, and people shilling.

Or for the travellers among us, you could upload your images of the places you have been, temples in Thai Land, or teh Sydney Opera house, and share them with the world, making a fully interactive maps of our globe.

This would mean that once you got home, you could use your pictures to move around the object, and see things you where not able to see when you where there.

The power of this tool is amazing. If it is able to do that much tech with a newspaper also, then thing of the information we could pass in seconds from user to user.

Again pushing the ideas fo what we take in.

This does make me think once again of subliminal adverts, and targeted marketing, but that might just be me being cynical...

this photosynth is the tool he talks about that is based on the web that is currently using SeaDragon, it is still basic, but is an outstanding demo of what it is able to do. I have been playing with it on and off for hours now.

i hope you enjoy this and get some smiles out of it like i have.

laterdays

step

Step (el-nombrie)

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
time for an upgrade, methinks.

i would hesitate to imply that net 1.0 was static.
classic asp, php and coldfusion are still net 1.0 techs...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
seems very fancy to me biggrin

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bender

time for an upgrade, methinks.

i would hesitate to imply that net 1.0 was static.
classic asp, php and coldfusion are still net 1.0 techs...

this is true, and you are right, but the majority of pages i am talking about as 1.0 where static html pages, and there has been a gradual blur from 1.0 to 2.0, so for example we might say that 1.0 was the early static pages running html, and 1.1 - 1.9 where the introduction of new technologies like apachie servers, php tech, and interactive pages.

if we look at the past ten years, you can think of it in that time scale, not in the past one or two, as it has been a gradual transition, i think anyway, between static to content driven pages that users create.

i would like to see the next stages (possibly 3.0) when the web becomes a fully formed OS platform, and allows users to run apps over it, in much the same way as a citrix serevr client sytem works.

again, i talk about 1.0 meaning a good set of years ago, when the first companies like compuserver and line one where offering 56k dial up as fast access.

Then free (non contract based) dial up came along, and started the internet revolution in a way, and it is only since the main integration of ADSL into the main stream that it seems that more 2.0 tech has come to the foreground, as users are able to enjoy more media and content right pages, and are able to add their own content.

do you understand what i am saying, or was that rubbish?

Step (el-nombrie)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
gEEEK - that is one nice piece of software! clap ubbrollsmile bounce2 ubbloco juggle

What's the system requirements on this? 5Ghz and one TB RAM? wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
interesting in terms of automatic extraction of a form of metadata from images. It it was open source it might catch on.

But I've seen much better work done on automatically making 3d spaces out of pictures. Not just having weird dot trails, but actually making a shaded realistic 3d world.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

What's the system requirements on this? 5Ghz and one TB RAM? wink

tom - if you have a look at the online trial i linked to above (photosynth) you will see that it is a very small application that installs from the web, and allows you to do some of the more nicer aliments of the app even on a low bandwidth connection (all be it a broadband link)

but yes i do agree that it would seem the limiting factor to this is the bandwidth you have, and also the screen resolution you have.

Written by: Mcp

But I've seen much better work done on automatically making 3d spaces out of pictures. Not just having weird dot trails, but actually making a shaded realistic 3d world.[/Quote]

i am not saying this tech is new, i think its the applications, and fact that Microsoft bought this company to implement this tech.

I have a colleuge that informs me (reliably) that this kind of "mipmapping" has been around for some time, and that again it is not showing anything revoloutionary, but it is doing a good job in its layout, and usablity.

Also add in the fact taht the golbe as a community can add pictures and access the same palces, and imporve on scenes and scapes, i think its a nice app.

In the same way that picasa does nothing new, but it is the way it is done that makes it a very simple program to use, but can be a powerful tool.

Step (el-nombrie)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
It's not mipmapping. Mipmapping is how video games texture their 3d objects occasionally. Unless you're deciding each of those dots is an object textured with a picture, that makes no sense.

you should be looking for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photogrammetry

3D photogrammetry software. Sexy stuff.

Plus lets face it, anything microshite does is bound to be behind the times, only available for windows users, copied / stolen from someone else, have a late delivery, and in fact shite. Like windows vista.

I was giving a pretty big concession to say that the metadata part was interesting. But it won't achieve global use without being free the the very least. There's nothing really interesting being done with image metadata right now, apart from geoRSS tags in flickr and google earth and the like. What microshite are doing is automatically extracting a richer set of metadata that can be used to do various interesting things, match the photos to a place without a geo metadata tag being present. (Maybe) Match them to other photos, and match photos to a 3d space. (In microsofts case, a very badly represented 3d space.) Perhaps this form of metadata will catch on, or perhaps a more powerful algorithm to extract it will come along.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i see your point meg, and i stand corrected on my misconception. thanks for that smile

i to am not in love with the idea of Microsoft having this application, i don't think it would be put to as much use as an open source version would be, or as popular as an open source.

but i think this could represent a large step forwards in teh global community, or you may be right, its a door o a more powerful system smile

Step (el-nombrie)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
holy hell, what is up with those flash files? They have a slinky menu system on the bottom and controls on the side! Google's presence being felt on the development team of youtube I think.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Tomorrow today.
Thanks for posting.
biggrin
Drew

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Microsoft Silverlight??? PopFly??? other new MS webstuff you might be interested in Mech.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Its probably not 'that' far in the future, but is anyone aware of the next gen pocket PC browser that was in BETA recently- supposedly vey good (something to do with whlaes or dolphins or something?)

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
thanks drew

Written by: PK_

Microsoft Silverlight??? PopFly??? other new MS webstuff you might be interested in Mech.

peek - i have been playing with silverlight in visual studio for a month or so now, its lush as!

i got it from Microsoft's as part of our msdn drop. the software is LUSH, a little hard to find teh time to get down and dirty with it, as i still dont have th internet at home.

but its rather nice, i also have Visual studio, and the Expressions studio as part of my job, so i can play with some of the more detailed design stuff.

its rather nice, also linking in vector graphics is a nice touch....

for anyone who wants to know about this....

trusty youtube to the rescue....

SilverLight

Popfly, i hadnt seen, and i will now go off and see if i can get a hold of it...

cheers peek

PopFly

Step (el-nombrie)

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the post mech- much appreciated! smile!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
jesus christ, not to paraphrase the register too much but silverlight, microsofts five year late attempt to compete with the flash plugin. I'm pretty much sure that's entirely hopeless.

6,978 posts

Posted:
i was pretty sure that cher didn't exactly match up with sonny bono yet there it is.
let's see what happens with microsoft.

6,978 posts

Posted:
microsoft should have done what adobe did and just purchase macromedia instead of competing!!!