Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > HELP ME! I want to learn staff!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
So I am getting frustrated with poi... love doing it but haven't dedicated myself to it as I want to, no one is teaching me... a plethora of reasons and I just suck.

What does this have to do with staff? I REALLY want to learn. I used to mess around with the broom stick in band class, sitting in the percussion section.. just messing around. Did a bit of drill team in ROTC with rifles. I *think* I'd really like it.

So here I am... absolutly clueless to staff, none of my friends do it, but screw it, Ill teach myself.

I'm 5'4, medium build girl... based on that, what would you all recommend as a staff for myself? I want to do single staff... don't plan on using 2.

I figure I might as well get fire staff... learn with it, get used to the weight and all that. They have LED staff on flowtoys but my friend said fire would be much cooler. So fire it is smile

Can anyone help me with what I should order from HOP?
Help me people!

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
well maybe take a look at the tutorials tht are a sticky on the top of the staff forum, they will help you answer all those questions and more

also some ppl mite think this was a bit of a pointless thread to make when theres already the tutorials which are put there to help with all these kinda queries

try reading and searchin thro hop before making threads, youll find theres already answers to all your questions most of the time

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ditto

and as for not planning on using 2 ubblol

........ always two there are meditate wink

Welcome to the darkside biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
I looked at the tutorials and article... but upon that decided to get a longer staff, when my friend said "No get short staff... youll end up hurting yourself wirh a longer one" and so now I'm confused, since the article said longer staff isn't as likely to burn yourself as the short staff, but it might leave a good bruise with the added weight...

I'm just curious as what to get from here for my weight, a beginner, and for now... just want to do single staff... so I want a personal recommendation of what you all would get if you were me... thats why I put the post up wink

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I love just the single long staff!! Mine comes up to about just under my eye and I love it to bits. wink

Anything around chin-height I recommend.

I'm still learning too though. biggrin
Definitely go for a longer one around that height - it's easier to learn with.

Any staff will hurt though when it hits you on the funny bone at high speed!

*Rubs elbow and weeps*

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
my best advice is come to a meet and ask real nicelike to try out each type of toy to see how fun, how intuitive it feels for each. remember how it each toy appeals to you when you see otheres play with them.

practical experience will always be better than biased opinion.
now that we're on biased opinion... DOUBLE STAVES is where it's *at* baby!!! wooooT!
Non-Https Image Link

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
It's just an undeniable fact, it has to fit just under your chin, so you can rest on it comfortably at bus/tube stops smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Whatever size you choose you will adapt to over time. I started with a 135cm staff and i stand between 170-180cm. Over time i found it ideal for doing both fast twirling with a side of contact smile However that staff is being laid to rest as it's got a nice crook in it now & i've had it for over 3 years & want larger ones!

You can't go wrong with a staff height that ranges from reaching your arm-pit to one that reaches your neck/chin. The longer you are exposed to it the more it will seem ideal to you smile

Also if it's any consolation, i am mostly self taught smile

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
I might go to double staves once I learn single smile

But DAMN shipping really makes it expensive to get from HOP to US... I love, love HOP and their customer service and products in general, but I might just get a staff from the US to learn with and then pay for the one from HOP when I'm not beating up the one I'm learning with.

It's seriously 199 with shipping... and I just can't swing that right now frown

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Doubles is a whole different kettle of fish to singles, though if you've started with poi it won't be as hard for you to pick up as it was for me ubblol

There should be staff/kevlar suppliers in the US close to where you are if HoP freight is too great - or better yet, build one and name it smile

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Yeah if I build one im likely to kill myself by creating something that explodes and kills everyone in a 10 mile radius wink

I found one in California... will probably order from them smile

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: strugz

........ always two there are meditate wink

darkside you seek is it hmmmmmm hmmmmmm
doubles will you spin

Non-Https Image Link

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I personally would take Benders advice and have a twirl with a few fire staffs before parting with my hard earnt cash. This is just so that you know what you want from a staff in terms of weight, length, width and comfort.

My recomendations would be heavy (more momentum), chin height (please bear in mind that i stand at 6ft) and thick (more suited to the way i grip my staff) but i doubt that my staff would be suitable for you since your style and body type would differ from mine.

My 5ft missus has had a twirl with my staff and quite frankly she can't controll it (too long, too heavy and too thick for the way she grips it) but she has found greater sucsess with shorter, thiner and lighter staffs that I'm uncomfortable with.

Play around and find one that feels right otherwise you won't use it half as much as you should and learning with it will be a much slower process.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Yeah but the thing is I've never seen anyone spin staff here... and there are no shops near me that sell any. So basically... I'm going to buy and have it shipped and hope it does me well.

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Try to find others that spin in your area (and yes i am aware of how difficult this can be) and keep an eye out for other spinners whenever you are out and about.

Failing that you can hope for the best or build yourself a staff that you would feel comfortable with coz a basic firestaff isn't that difficult to make so long as you have a drill.

Sorry if i haven't been much help but i am trying and i do wish you the best of luck in finding a good staff

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
well... if you're unsure about the weight, etc. why not build a couple of practise staves? even if they're not what you end up using, they'll teach you something about what you like/want, and you can keep them for practising/teaching other people. Its always good to practise on differently weighted props: it helps you to work on different bits of technique

Just... fire staffs are expensive: soits best to make sure you know what you want before you buy one

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Simta - ubblol

Strong the force is with you biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
1, 2,3 or more sticks are the way to go devil

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Have you tried bourbon creams?

smile

[Yoda]Yummy they are..mmmmmmmmmmm.[/yoda]

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

Have you tried bourbon creams?

smile

[Yoda]Yummy they are..mmmmmmmmmmm.[/yoda]

ubblol I think that says it all...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Before investing in a staff, it's ideal to find if it's for you before shelling out for a postage-fee-savvy staff smile

1. Purchase a broom with a wooden or heavy handle... lop broom head off (or better yet, buy a brook with a detachable broom handle).

2. Procure as many martial arts movies as you can. The older the movie and more mullet sightings, the better.

3. Watch said films for references: martial arts films are rife with flourishes & spatial awareness involving staff-like weapons including halberds, poleaxes and bardiches. Having a mullet while watching is beneficial but not necessary.

4. If inclement weather arises or you choose to spin indoors, ensure practice room is cleared of breakable objects that you plan to keep. Tape them to the walls if necessary. Such items that would fall under this category would be delicate heirloom-esque furniture, vases, the dog, siblings, etc.

5. After studying media aforementioned in step 2, start practicing. In rare cases, intimate knowledge can be granted to a rare few learning a discipline through the miracle of a Rocky montage. For the rest of us...time, persistence, and knowing when to break and come back to a particular trick or movement, or the manipulation of staff altogether.

6. At this point, if you are as keen now as you were prior, purchase your staff smile Name it.

7. Enjoy the journey!

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brenn

Before investing in a staff, it's ideal to find if it's for you before shelling out for a postage-fee-savvy staff smile

1. Purchase a broom with a wooden or heavy handle... lop broom head off (or better yet, buy a brook with a detachable broom handle).

2. Procure as many martial arts movies as you can. The older the movie and more mullet sightings, the better.

3. Watch said films for references: martial arts films are rife with flourishes & spatial awareness involving staff-like weapons including halberds, poleaxes and bardiches. Having a mullet while watching is beneficial but not necessary.

4. If inclement weather arises or you choose to spin indoors, ensure practice room is cleared of breakable objects that you plan to keep. Tape them to the walls if necessary. Such items that would fall under this category would be delicate heirloom-esque furniture, vases, the dog, siblings, etc.

5. After studying media aforementioned in step 2, start practicing. In rare cases, intimate knowledge can be granted to a rare few learning a discipline through the miracle of a Rocky montage. For the rest of us...time, persistence, and knowing when to break and come back to a particular trick or movement, or the manipulation of staff altogether.

6. At this point, if you are as keen now as you were prior, purchase your staff smile Name it.

7. Enjoy the journey!

^^ ++

Thats exactly how i learnt! That advice should so get stickied to the top of the forum. It's MILES better than megs guides :P

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

^^ ++

Thats exactly how i learnt! That advice should so get stickied to the top of the forum. It's MILES better than megs guides :P

Cheque's in the mail wink hug biggrin

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brenn

.....Having a mullet while watching is beneficial but not necessary.

ubblol ubblol

tiz true...... go look at mcps old vids! or mine - its why i used to wear a hat wink

having a mullett does make you better!

biggrin

Sadley - im crap at staff now, i got a haircut...... rolleyes

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I was crap when I cut my hair off too, but then I did a rocky like montage... and now I'm alright again.

strugz: YOU NEED A MONTAGE!

Non-Https Image Link

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Le swoon...

those little puppetty men and their chisled jaws and weird eyes...

Getting to the other side smile

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
"I promise I will never die." ubblol

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _Clare_

who? burnt toast?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Hopefully see you soon mister

hug

Getting to the other side smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

Written by: _Clare_

who? burnt toast?

can somebody photoshop this right now?

Non-Https Image Link

crossed with

Non-Https Image Link

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i had orginally thought this to be a thread promoting staff, but i'm not sure no more.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Page:

HOP Newsletter