Forums > Technical Discussion > What's Best way of Building my own poi

Login/Join to Participate

DJ AmanSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
I've looked at many upon many directions for building my own LED poi. The problem is that I don't know which are the best. I want mine to be bright enough to see a beautiful stream of light. But that's easy (or is it. Idk.). I also see ones that you can make rechargable. I'm a rechargable battery guru, but will that affect the brightness? Another thing that's been on my mind is softness. I know that I can always wrap bubble wrap everywhere but I want them to look profesonal. The ones that I bought at this site have a PVC layering that has saved me from brain damage many of time. Could I make a PVC mold without spending 100s or 1000s? Sorry for my spelling. ubblol

DJ AmanSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
I'm not so sure about something that heavy. I hit myself all over and that screams brain damage. How would... 8 or 10 LEDsweigh? I was also thinking of putting in a built-in rechagrable pack (I can afford it if it's worth the money), would that lower the weight of two individual (AA I'm guessing were the type of battery you were talking about.) batteries?? Also, if there's no way to make a PVC mold then what's a proffesional looking alternative?

_Adam_GOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
The LED weight isn't much of a concern, it's the battery that's gonna make it heavy, especially if you use any MCUs to create any visual effects.

DJ AmanSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
So.. does that mean that I should be using AAA or one of those tiny batteries? But those small ones don't come rechargable. What's the lightest Rechargable source?
EDITED_BY: Burnthehollisters (1181254488)

DJ AmanSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
O.K. I've looked around and can't find anything that would make a PVC casing so what's a good alternative??

_Adam_GOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
Sometimes pet stores sell round clear plastic chewable balls. You could cut a hole out of one of those and mess around with it.

Other than that, goto a toy store and look at random toys you may be able to tear apart.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
The lightest batteries are li-ion but you need special chargers for them (I don't think they're all that expensive though). The thing to look out for is what mAh (that's milliAmp hours) the batteries are rated at.

Take a look at this one. That gives you 3.7v and it's 2000 mAh. Lets say each LED draws 30mA (which is about right for most high power LEDs), if you had 10 LEDs in parallel and you had a resistor in there to stop the LEDs going bang. That's going to be a total draw of 300mA from the battery. Now since the battery's capacity is 2000mAh, 2000 / 300 = 6.6 hours of spinning on a single charge! Bear in mind though that all the current that goes through your LEDs must also go through a resistor which will reduce the efficiency a bit. The resistor is essential - if that wasn't there, the LEDs would burn themselves out and if it's a li-ion battery, also potentially make it go bang (Look [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion#Disadvantages]here[/url])!

NiMh batteries are safer but weigh considerably more and you'll need 3 of them to get the same ~3.7v output.

Hope some of that helps?

Cake or Death?

DJ AmanSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
O.K. =) Now... the big question is... How do I keep everything from rattling around and falling apart? I saw pictures of how a ball with one LED was set in that article nullnull but that was one. I want around 8-12. confused hmm... I keep thinking gorilla glue but I know that isn't the answer. ubblol Man I feel helpless.