pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
So have you ever wondered what happens to all of the money that Microsoft make, well it's owners anyway!.

Well we all now Mr big Bill....

But how about Paul Allen? well he's another of the rich guys behind Microsoft... oh don't we love that company.

Well some of you may know that I work in the Mega Yacht industry, so I'd thought that I'd share with you what Paul Allen likes to spend his money on.

[image] https://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=530957304&size=m [/image]

This little! (Biggest Private Motor Yacht In The World) set him back $200,000,000 and over $20,000,000 a year to run.

Inside of this beast are another 7 Tender Boats the biggest of which is 60 feet, 2 helicopters and a Submarine that can take 10 people for up to 2 weeks underwater.

He also owns the 3rd largest private motor yacht too confused must have some money!!

And Luerssen must love him too being the ship yard that built them both. ubblol

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
...gonna need a bigger boat... ubblol

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yupp, that's when the big boys play. One of them tried to explain himself to me like that (after telling me that he bought a 10 Million Yacht and me giving him a bewildered look):

"Tom, I bought that ship off one guy, who employs at least a hundred workers to put it together. They all feed their families. The components for this ship comes from at least a hundred different companies - which employ at least a hundred people each. In fact (by buying this yacht) I fed about 10.100 families. And the owners of these companies do the same, by buying cars, houses, air planes, ect. If you only look at what I spent for this boat, you are missing the point. In fact you are only thinking two dimensional."

He got me thinking...

The guy got his money from selling one of the largest cable companies on the planet (his). He made his fortune, because every household in Germany that has cable TV, paid him a few bucks per month to use the cable.

I'm torn on the issue, but when reading that the new blockbuster "Oceans 13" cost about 100.000.000 $ to make, then I don't get it either. "Pirates of the Carribean 2 - a dead man's chest" grossed a total of more than ONE BILLION Dollars...

My point being? Well I'm now going to the video store around the corner to return some DVD's, come back and think about it on the way... wink

[ed]

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
What grinds my gears so much about the Microsoft m/billions is they're based on an inherently faulty, sub-standard, inefficient programme(s) and all users pay for the priviledge of beta-testing the damn things. And that's before we get onto the ubiquity argument mad2

To take up Tom's point, we instinctively react - either in loathing or envy, and then contribute towards their individual wealth. Not sure if I've got a problem with that, but sure have a problem with the poverty gap. There's something obscene about 1 man being able to feed 10,000 families by indulging himself with some extrvangance or other but the good ole US of A couldn't sort out the poor people of New Orleans shrug

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I don't see the point. The guy got himself in a lucky position to make lots of money and spent it, thus as Tom's example says, feeding others.

Fair enough, if you don't agree with the kind of society we have, then that seems like an awful waste. But if he hadn't done the job and spent the money, somebody else would have.

I can't afford a boat like that, no. But most of us here (I know some exceptions, and well done to them) spend money on things we don't need (firetoys and paraffin, drugs, holidays, clubbing, festivals), doing the same thing, but as soon as it's on a bigger scale we complain?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I guess Birgit just made my point...

If we ask ppl from Bangladesh what they think about spending our squids on toys, DVD's, cellphones and ringing tones for said cellphones and the like (and especially how much) - maybe they will turn around and cease speaking to us.

My next visit to the local cinema will cost as much, as one "average" person in Thailand earns in three days. Therefore I choose my entertainment carefully.

Will my great grandchildren one day ask my grandchildren: "Is it true that great grandfather was a firespinner and burnt kero just for fun?" footinmouth

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Well it is a little excessive...personally, I'll never own anything over 80 meters, unless it runs on biodiesel... tongue

I've just spent the past four days staring at this baby and ...I want it.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
attessa is one hell of a beautiful Feadship!, and a remodelled one at that, she was extended 21 feet in hull length to make her a total of 225 appx... which means that Feadship went to some lengths to refit her.

Still doesn't put a patch on Paul Allen's other Yacht Tatoosh though

Stout I assume that your near Vic marina?... any thing else nice floating around over there.... we have Lara here at the moment.

Tom I agree with you whole heartedly on your comments.

Instead I'm one of those people that gets to feed his child with money of the rich people, ok, so we dont work on much over 80 meters, Infact that kind of undertaking on any sub contract firm is a lot of work, I look at Octopus there and dread to think how much metal had to be polished and how many people had broken asses polishing all of those little gates on the rear decks, or the mind numbing task of polishing engine tubes! rolleyes just glad it wasn't me and my work mates.

Our most recent launch was Ferdy the follow on to the Stefano Gabbana's boat Regina d'Italia.

Any way back to Tom's point about feeding mouths!.. lots of these, especially here in Italy are of Foreign Nationals, and they get paid practically pittance but then life working on board in the ship yard isn't exactly easy either, I on the other hand get to work in a workshop, we also have Foreign Nationals, well only one has remained with us at the moment... we get paid decent wages too, I'm also in negotiations with another company to work there with them on weekends as the money is even better, will mean that I'm doing 11 hours a day at my place 5 days a week 5 on Saturday morning and the the rest of Saturday with the other company.

I'm not one for burning money away, I like to appreciate the things that I have worked hard for to be able to buy them, ie, Ipod 30gb, PSP, I just brought a Nokia N70 last week, I just bought a 2gb Samsung mp3 player for my partner along with a v3 motorola... but when it all boils down to it, they really don't mean any thing at all.... as long as my son has a roof over his head and food in front of him, and his mum isn't dying in the hospital with her stupid illness then I'm happy... myself.. well I take it a day at a time, but at the en of the day even if I take home almost €2000 a month, I can't afford to buy a house of my own, I feel for the Foreign Nationals that don't even take home half of what I take frown but then what they do take is a hell of a lot of money to what they would get back where they came from which is in fact where they send money that they earn after taking rent and bills money out, they send the rest of it home to their families.

Either way, what ever we earn, we eat and we sleep and live another day! ubbrollsmile regardless of race, religion and wealth.

Well hope thaty makes some sense smile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I have no complaints. It's his money, he earned it fair and square.

So if he wants a massive yacht and he would like to throw US$200M back into the economy, rather than hoarding it, I'm all for it.

As for me, I'm happy to go to work every day and play with the kids. But he spends ten times my maximum lifetime salary a year on his yacht.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I understand your point, Doc - hence it's virtually impossible to "hoard" money, other than under your pillow.

As soon as this money is in the bank it's circulating - there's no escape from that.

Even IF you would tell your bank what they have to do with it, they will do whatever pleases their strategy. The only responsibility your bank holds is to pay you back the amount you put in and the interest. ANYthing else is up to their discretion.

The mother of my daughter was working in the IPO department of the second largest bank in Germany - what she told me from behind the scenes exceeded all my worst expectations.

By buying a boat, at least you know what you spent it on...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Normally yachts sell for more than what the owners paid for them new wink ...so also comes as an investment as well as a tax write off.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Here's a toy that I want... biggrin

James Bond-style 787 interior

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts