PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
A local soldier, one whose life has impacted mine inadvertantly, was killed in Iraq two weeks ago.
His memorial/funeral was this weekend.

He wrote these words while on his first tour, while stationed in Baghdad. I think it's profound, about any soldier.

It was printed on the reverse side of his memorial card and I wanted to share them because of the universal application of it really touching me.

" I am the guy from the picture, the voice on the phone, someone's memory. Sometimes that's all I can be, it's all I can offer. I know it's not enough, but this is who I am, for now at least. For you, who just read this, you probably don't know me. Some of you may; it doesn't matter.
I just want you to know that we are not real people out here in the desert. We are half people. I have left my heart behind, in the care of another and in that way I am not complete. I don't fear for its well-being; it is safe with her. We all do this. We leave our hearts at home with our loved ones, our children, our families- and as long as we are someone's love and wish and memory we can never die. For we will always be as we are now; on that far and distant shore, relegated to love and memory."

- Staff Sgt. Steve Butcher, Jr.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
hug Condolences for your loss, Pele, and for his family's.

Thank you for sharing that. hug

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks Brenn.

Honestly, I didn't really know him. He's the ex of a friend and she has taken it hard and so in that scope, it has impacted my life. I didn't know him though.

However, those words, now that I reread them, seem eerie to me as they seems somewhat profettic (sp?). Like he knew he was going to die and wanted to say something that would strongly impact people before he passed.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
I guess in that situation, you would take stock of what you had and how you feel with regards to the iminent possibility that you could die while away from your loved ones!!

They are very deep and profound words.

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Very good Pele, although I don't think he necessarily meant them as an epitaph - the words explain his thoughts about being away from home.

If you liked those words, you might like these ones and some of the others here/nearby:
https://www.kiwisoldier.150m.com/poems.htm#B
(this one tells how I almost didn't exist - it doesn't say that every other man bar one in the team were killed in the same incident)

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
Wow George that is certainly something!!

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
those are beautiful words, Pele.
I feel for the loss of your friend hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by: GitasGuy

Wow George that is certainly something!!

Well, the words may not be as skillfully chosen as Pele's soldiers ones, but for me, the under-statedness of Dad's and the other soldiers words I have around that site tell a similarly profound story.
Add to that the atrocious conditions - weather (coldest winter in history), terrain (hard spikey mountains), & situation (all out war against the elite troops who have had months to prepare excellent defensive positions), and if you can imagine all that while considering the poem and how close you came to not existing, ... well I can tell you it has an effect!

Dad still has some of the metal from the shells in his body today. Can't fly anymore due to the airport security metal detectors!

2 years ago I had the chance to visit Cassino (was in Rome with work for a week and a half with the weekend free), and let me tell you, that standing in front of the graves of the other guys that were with Dad when those explosions came down, with Cassino mount and the abbey as the backdrop ... - let's just say it was a moving experience.

The "Orsogna Interlude" poem a little further up the page is another example of the kind of understatedness I mean.

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

BrieveBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
Love it as a military man myself. I have lost more than a few friends. More so now that I am stationed with Spec Ops. I have never seen so many grown men break down and cry as I have seen in the last few years.

No matter what ppl think about the politics of this war. We, the Soldiers, Airmen, Saliors, and Marines, are still humans. We are someones Son or Daughter. We have Families, Friends, Girlfriends, Boyfriends, Wives, Husbands, and Children.

We just had a to load a body of an Army Ranger into one of our Helos to fly him home. There was over a thousand Air Commando's in rank and order. That Stood there and gave him his last Salute. Did I tear up? Yes. Did everyone in formation? I cant say but I can say everyone that stood there and watched it was like getting hit in the chest with a baseball bat. His wife wrote a letter of thanking us. IMO she has nothing to thank us for. We should be thanking her. That man did not run and hide when the call to arms came. He did his job. He laid his life down for this country. He left his family. He told his kids he had to go and might not be back. It turned out to be true. But he did his job without hesitating. Because of him his many in his company survived to come home to thier kids.

Would every single guy in that company do the same for him. No one can say. But knowing, personally knowing, some Rangers and other Spec Ops. I can say there is a high chance that they would have.

Just remember us. Remember that we did not choose this war. Remember that even thou we did not choose it we will man up, put our lives on hold, and do the job. I would like to think that most of us military guys and gals are men and women of our word. Will not back down and let someone else take our spot. We will do what we have to.

When you watch the news at night about Iraq. This is the Medias spin on it. Take it from me that is not how it is over there. We are doing a lot of good that will never get seen on the news. Why because Good News does not sell. I am not here to tell you what to think or say. But the next time you get ready to say something bad about the war. Remember us over there. If you say you support us but not the war. Then, and this is how most of us feel, your not supporting us. Because like it or not we Cowboyed up and went there. We are the war.

Sorry for the rant, but this is something I felt like letting out here. Take it as you will.

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
As a millitary guy whos had two stints in the gulf ditto

clap clap clap clap beerchug
I'll drink to that.

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
hug for you both

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...