RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
k, just a quick one because I might potentially cave in and bring it back to the shop- trying to put music on it, but in whatever format, original mp3 (15+mb track) or 6+mb converted aac track, or 5+mb converted m4a track, I hear blips, pops, and crackling when I play the track back. Not in the good way.

Also, spent more than an hour and a half trying to delete two tracks (which it said were there but really weren't). Eventually formatted the card and going to and from nokia pcsuite, it was gone.

The phone's really good otherwise, but I suspect there's something wrong and it's not just me.

Take it back?

TIA!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Take it back and ask them to sort it out for you. If they can't it's faulty and they should give you a new one.

Good luck! hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Take it back!

Sounds like the speakers aren't connected up properly if they're cracking. At least thats what happened to my laptop when they 'fixed' it by replacing the motherboard.

Make sure they give you a new one, and don't try and fob you off with sending it away to be repaired...

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Sounds like PC Suite to me, try up grading to the latest version from nokia.com and see if that works.

I have various Nokia's, 2x 6600, 6270 and a N70 and all play fine, I only had problems with PC Suite as the ones bundled with every phone I have bought have been out dated.

Bought the N70 last week and had problems with the bluetooth connection to that via pc suite a quick up grade solved the issue.

Also try using the cable connection in stead of bluetooth, as it is much faster.

Even if you have pc suite installed you can use the nokia browser by going to c:/ nokia browser and drag and drop your files there... some times that it faster than waiting for pc suite to open and do it's thing.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Hi all, thanks for the replies. I took it back the next morning, leaving the crackling popping tracks in there and described the problem to the Vodafone guy and he promptly swapped it over. Yay is me. New phone works fine.

PK: Thanks for the advice dude- I guessed at first it could be PC Suite, and I downloaded the version on the web which was a version ahead. Didn't solve the problem at the time. What made it more complex to me at the time was the fact I was using a mac to sync up, and couldn't use PC Suite as it's not supported by OSX. I then tried using Parallels and ran Windows 2000 (virtual machine) and discovered other problems where the usb connection wouldn't map itself properly or some such.

For anyone else's info, I've since learnt that connecting to a Mac, you can use isync to sync contacts and addresses, and if you want to transfer music, you need to choose data storage mode (usb cable) not nokia storage mode (for PC Suite).

Also, a bitrate which worked alright for me was 64kbps about 22050mhz (I think). I'm guessing PC Suite does't convert higher (e.g. 256kbps) properly, and the phone doesn't like it very much either.

So yes, in the end, the solution I used to get PC Suite to work- used my old laptop (pc, not mac) to do the transfers.

Thanks all!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Glad you got it sorted Ry!...

One of those "thank god Microsoft exists still" times lol.

I only have problems still with bluetooth dropping its connection but will connect both my N70 and 6270 at the same time... strange. OH well nothing to worry about, I use my Ipod for mp3 and phone as a phone... but radio is a must for work!, plus point being with stereo head phones for nokia i can listen to the radio and if some one calls, answer it!.. sweet.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
I noticed something a bit strange with my bluetooth mouse going really slowly suddenly while I was bluetoothing up the phone- but other than that, haven't experienced much problems.

Look at you all gadgety like, PK. ubblol What do you think about the upcoming Apple phone? That looks like it'd fit right.. It's pretty flashy I thought! I'd love to have one, but it'd be a bit pricy I imagine..

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
the Iphone? ...yeah, wouldn't mind one of them my self...

I'd love the power of a Nokia combined with gaming of a PSP, computing like a Flybook or some thing a little more powerful, with a design similar of an ipod for music and video.... maybe in a few years!.. not that there isn't that technology right now...

Not sure if apple will release those iphones though!... last time i looked they weren't bothering.

Don't know what it is like in the rest of the world, but when I lived in England, I always got phones free by taking contracts ... so every year I changed my phone... always had a pretty decent one as they didn't cost a thing, the only phone i ever brought was an old motorola touch screen, similar to those old startacs they made once upon a time... loved that phone, my sons got a startac right now in his toybox... that's all they're good for these days.
Here in Italy... no one has contracts etc... so SIM free is practically what you get unless you by from a network shop... so here you just buy the phone... but the prices these days are incredible, i saw a nokia last week €999 ... looked more like €50 cack!... don't ask me what model, i looked at the price and was nearly sick, then the nice guy behind the counter showed me a N70, told me it was on offer (which i knew before... -€100 smile ) So typically N70 should be around €350... same price my 6600 was 2 years ago!!.. my 6270 was €400, got that half price smile .. I look for bargains!... can't afford to pay full price and refuse to too.

I'm a Symbian freak... I was looking at the 6 series.... Naff!, Nokia software that can play mp3... go Symbian!... and do so much more, office suite, 2 MP camera, video call, IM, mp3, video editing... customisation of your OS, applications etc!... the V3 I got for my girl... how crap are they!... I wouldn't touch one myself... she seems to like it, cost me €170... tsk!, keeps her happy.

Same goes really for mp3 players... I would never buy another ipod video... got mine and 4 months later release an 80gb version.... technology changes too fast.

Now I've mentioned MS.. my PC has locked me out of admin... I dont have a guest account or user account, i am ADMIN!... cant view control panel or any thing.. don't know whats wrong with it! other than i jinxed it.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Ry, little some thing to know wink

I had my old 6600 from a few years ago... when it broke it displayed nothing but a note saying not enough memory to perform action, return to vendor.

Nice message... well anyway, I got a new 6600 which I gave away last week! I got that 2 years ago.... so last night I dug out the broken one and decided to fix it.

How you may ask?... by formatting the software (symbian OS 6 second series). Normally you can not restore original factory settings with out a code... oh yes you can.

To format, you need to have the phone turned off, with no memory card or sim card inserted.

hold down all three of these keys together and turn the phone on.

" green send key " " The + key " and " Number Three Key"

once you have all three held town, proceed to turn the phone on whilst still holding the three keys.

You will see " FORMATTING " on the screen, and the screen will fill BLACK from left to right as it is progressing, it should take maybe 2 minutes maximum.

But beware you will loose settings and files that are on the phone memory, so it is worth backing any thing up before hand.

If then after you receive any " APP CLOSED " error messages after the format, format the phone a second time to fix those errors.

Worked for me and now my old broken 6600 works fine.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Also if you need to replace your operator settings you can reorder them.... https://europe.nokia.com/A4144889 here wink for free so that ytou dont have to go back to the shop!

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
mm.. the whole free phone with a contract thing's a pretty good deal. I got mine 'free' on a 2 year contract (AUD30/13 squids) per month. Was a great deal, but you know what's a bit silly? I already had a prepaid account with another provider, and got an additional number/provider because I thought the missus was on Vodafone. Turns out she was Telstra, and I don't get all the free Vodafone-Vodafone perks I thought I'd get. ubblol Oh well.

Symbian freak ubblol Can't say I know very much about it on the whole. I just upgraded from a couple of 8210's which died of inflated battery syndrome. Wouldn't have upgraded otherwise, was pretty content with a phone that made calls and sent texts. But now I've got Dorset Perception (the actual track, to my amazement..not some polyphonic nonsense)- I don't think I'm turning back biggrin

Thanks for that formatting tip- I don't think I'll have to use it in the near future, but now it's on HoP it's documented and archived.

One thing a bit disappointing I find so far- I wasn't sure cos I knew nothing about Wi Fi prior, but I thought it might be possible to bluetooth to my computer, and share the internet connection. Doesn't work, and I suppose it wouldn't have made much sense because if I had a computer to bluetooth to, you'd think I'd use the comp for internet.. ubblol

As for technology going fast, yeah dude tell me bout it! I bought my macbook pro a couple of months ago, and I got top of the top- core 2 duo 2.33ghz, 3gb ram, 256mb video card- now, they've just released the 2.4ghz one! grr (Not that 2.4 makes that much of a difference now, but geez I waant it!)

So hey, what other cool phone tips have you got?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I have one good tip!

Look around before buying......

I went to Viareggio after work and popped in to the vodafone store.... I've brought a few second hand phones from there in the past!.... they have a N70 in silver for 150€ !!! eeek, I could have saved 70€ it's new but not boxed!... bummer feel like buying it just the same, and then put it on ebay for 200€ haha.

As for Symbian, it's pretty customizable to how you want it, not like Nokia's software which doesn't do very much at all, I'm a big fan of Nokia and I don't see why they don't use Symbian in all models, some Symbians are different though, my 6270 has a reall nice Alarm clock that you can set repeat days, where as my N70 doesn't, so I have to set my alarm every night before I go to bed.. Also the 6270 doesn't need a SIM Card to work the phone, you can use it normally with out being able to make calls, or texts etc... but with 128mb card, Radio, 2 MP camera, mp3 player with loud speakers (good ones too), and a decent golf game to keep you occupied whilst bathrooming... so quite handy to keep in your pocket for those.

Only problems I have really is the design of the hands free headset where it plugs in to the phone, my new one with in 2 weeks has started playing up, the one that brought new 3 months ago is broken in the same place, I think that there is a design fault there... plus with the headset plugged in I can't find a decent case to keep the phone in as they only make them for the actual size of the phone with out attachments... bummer.

Apple!!... they did that when I got my Ipod... they released the 80gb! and dropped the price on the 60gb... I could have ot the 60 instead of the 30 if I'd have waited a few months... I don't even use it these days either frown

Got any other problems?

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Hmm.. what about those bluetooth handsfree sets- are they any good?

In other phone related news!! I bought a 2gb micro sd card today cos it was on sale.. Sandisk too biggrin Now to figure out whether a phone's any good as a storage device ubblol Love convergence I tell ya. Golf game ubblol Hmm.. is there a good game download site? Something relatively non involved/hectic would be good.. (aren't demanding at all, am I ubbangel)

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Symbian Forums

s60 world

They will help you with Apps and Games and such like... lots are cracked too wink those damn Hax0rz ubblol

Interesting link. Haven't had time to do much with this one... I tend to find decent ones than have to make my own.

FExplorer is worth installing to any Symbian phone, you can then change you Op Logos, and maintain your phone better and more in depth... you wqill find that in those first two links.

Bluetooth handsfree kits?... no idea, never used one, I use the normal plug in ones to listen to the radio when I'm at work. ubbidea listening to angle grinders and power tools for 11 hours a day drives you insane with out listening to some thing.

Mostly what I feel.... psp, ipod, fancy phones, digi cameras and photo cameras, too many to keep on your person all at the same time!!.... buy a decent 30gb card, sure give it a year or two they will be available along with a top notch Nokia with 10mpx camera.. that's where technology is heading... not that it's not on hand right now, we just have the waiting game whilst spending loads of money on the next best thing until such an appliance is available. ubblol damn those fat cat corps rolleyes

Going top spend the rest of my cash right now on finishing off my 1968 Lambretta ubbrollsmile

Recent note... gave my other 3 nokia's away as gifts this last week... thought that 3 good turns will give me some luck... it did, my boss sold me that Lambretta which is rare as hell. ubblol

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the links! Just checked Symbian world and it seems like a good resource, even if I can't find anything saying 6300.. I'm assuming it's series 40 or series 60? I shall google that in a second.

s60 world seems to be down. Maintenance?

mmm. Yeah. I'm noticing prices of memory cards coming down- good for my camera stuff- I really need a few more cards. Each frame I take works out to roughly 11mb (RAW + jpeg)- and the camera does 5 frames per second in continuous drive. ubblol Got myself a 2gb micro sd for $39 (25 EUR). Good stuff! Doesn't look like I'm storing much on the phone at the moment though..

Oooh! Lambretta!! Got pics?? Don't see any Lambrettas over here..

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
theres a pic in my gallery! wink

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Checked it! ubblove Ooh aah man.. Ooh aah ubbrollsmile So what work needs to be done to it? Is it good to go?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Well after an hour of blood and sweat I got it running, so I know that it's a runner.

My boss brought it from an old guy that had it from new, but it's been stood for the last 4 years, he said that he used it a few times but planned on doing it up, brought a load of new parts for it that needed replacing, most of which I've done in my lunch hour over the last week or so.

Jobs finished!:

1. changed front headlamp and fittings
2. changed rear light fitting
3. replaced foot strips
4. replaced rear break pedal rubber
5. replaced kick-start pedal rubber
6. polished the kick-start pedal
7. polished the stand (waiting for lacquer to dry)
8. replaced rubber seals on the side panels.

Jobs to do!:

1. replace rubber shoes on the stand after the lacquer has dried.
2. replace the handle bar grips.
3. replace break, clutch, gear and accelerator cables.
4. replace gaskets in the engine.
(3+4 are jobs for the mechanic as I don't have time to drop out the engine)
5. replace the 4 year old fuel wink
6. get the mechanic to take it for its "revision" so that I can get a document from there to say it has passed.
7. with said document take it to the city in the truck to get its new vehicle's booklet as it's been mislaid.
8. Insure it but as I can't do that until this list is complete... that will have to wait.

Gave the body work a pretty good polish too, very little rust and all of the paint work is original hand painted factory job, I really don't want to repaint it, I'd like this to stay original all over, all of the parts I have replaced so far are original. There are a couple of things that I'd like to add like a second seat for a passenger, they have just changed the law here this year and now you can carry a pillion on a 50cc, I think that the insurance costs a little more... but that's not a problem. Have to apply for a number plate for it too, for a 50cc here you apply for your own personal plate so if you sell the scooter you keep the plate and the new owner puts his/hers on... I don't yet have one of my own, the one of on my Vespa is of my missus wink I hope that the police arrive here Monday night so that I can finish off applying for my residence, they just need to control that I live here etc.. then I'm practically Italian after that!.. as I currently don't exist, not even in England. That way I shouldn't have any problems sorting out documents and number plates etc.

I'd also like to get the chrome racks to go on it too, with 6 mirrors, 3 on each side as that was the MOD style in my home town when my dad had his scooters... my granddad had a Lambretta too an Li 125, my dad had a Vespa running on Methanol until it seized the piston haha. On top of the mirrors and racks, I'd like to add a spare wheel, either oon the back of the front leg shield or on the back slanted which is how they are some times mounted.. maybe a Lambretta mud flap too to finish it off. ubblol

I'd like to have it on the road by the end of next month, just depends on the money situation, have my 3 week holiday to pay for yet and my sons Christening + party. If the insurance pay me out from my accident last year I'll be well sorted as they owe me €3000 so far, if the solicitor has done me a good deed it should be €6000.. depends if they favour to give me 100% not 50% as the other guy tried to screw me over after the accident to make out that it was half my fault, not sure how him pulling out in to traffic from my side of the road and taking me out and breaking my arm half my fault confused either way €3000 is fine by me, but wouldn't turn my nose up at 6 ubblol

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Pretty good to have all those parts from the seller- his loss I say. You so have to send progress pics- love that kind of thing biggrin

Accident? What happened? 3000 euros sounds like it would have been pretty bad! Glad to hear you're on the good side of things though.. Must have really worried Ser!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Was only a little accident... I was going to work at the time, in fact I was almost there It was only a small place with a cross road junction in the middle of town, anyway I was approaching that junction in rush hour traffic as it is the main road out to Pisa.
I had to turn left at that junction to head down to the lake, that road goes no further than that, so I was indicating to turn left where the main road starts to split in to two lane traffic, left; on and right!.. simple, well there is a little side street wide enough for a car to pass through on the right just before the main junction and this "idiot" drives out of it in to the waiting traffic as the lights were red.. it was also raining too, so he happened to drive right out in to my path and I skidded in to the side of his car.
So he gets out a form to fill out for the insurance company as I had damaged his car ubblol BADLY and my Vespa got off with twisted handlebars which the next day turned out had broken my Scafoide in my left hand. Well having signed the form, he then didn't give me a copy like he was meant to, and didn't leave his details with me and was on his way. Well the next morning having gone to work that night with a broken hand and in pain I went to the hospital to find a broken Scafoide in 3 places... and 4 and a half months on sick leave from work rolleyes .
After a month this guy decides to call us on the phone to demand money from us for his car, leaving us his details ubbidea right you time for out insurance to get involved at this point he was shocked to hear that I'd broken my wrist ubblol ,Our insurance managed to get a copy of the form that he filled out and that I signed (this is my error as I didn't understand what he had written). He'd wrote that I was going far to fast confused 50cc moped confused breaking the speed limit confused he pulled out in to traffic on my side of the road and its my fault confused .. well ubbidea Solicitors are now involved, his insurance want to make it 50% 50% so half being my fault, that means that I get €3000... I earn that In a month and a half ubblol I think that they are having a laugh really, I hope that on Monday night I should hear some thing about it as I stopped by the office last night to find out where I stand so far... at the end of the day I have nothing to loose for trying, either way €3000 is still €3000... I don't have that lying around that's for sure but if I get the 100% then I'm the one laughing.

He was just trying his luck, I hope it fails on him. wink and anyway I know where he lives ubblol

Worst part of it all was Enea had just come home after 3 months in his incubator.. I had my cast on for over a month and then had to wear a support for 2 months and then do Electromagnetic therapy for the last month.. before I returned to that job I had found another, at the time I was working in the restaurant that paid 800 a month... pittance when you have a small baby to feed and a sick girlfriend who was dying at the time in hospital from an illness that now one could diagnose, most sure that you've read about that before?... so all in all was an eventful Jan-Sept 2006.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Eek!! No, I definitely didn't hear about was was going on with Ser. That must have been an awful time for you guys- so sorry to hear. I hope that she's much better these days. Took a quick wander into your intro to catch up, and I can't believe I missed it all. Would definitely have been there for you guys if I had known. hug

As for the accident guy- ubblol He had to be kicking himself for ringing! ubblol Monday night- that's today- crossing fingers for you buddy!!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Ne bother mate!, she surviving on a life of medication wink she's sick for the rest of her life now. She's trying to finish school this year if she can so that she can to back to work all being well.

Well the insurance company called, I have 3 grand arriving soon then I have to write a letter to chase up the rest wink.