Forums > Social Discussion > What Health Issues Do YOU Want to Learn About?

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I have written a articles for HoP (First Aid for Burns [which everyone should keep a copy of in their fire kits] and Clubbing Safety).

So I feel like writing another (if Malcolm doesn't mind) and I would like to know what topics you are interested. Remember, my training is pediatric, and the topic should be relevant to this community. And it shouldn't involve s?x because this is a family board.

Some possible topics come to mind:
-Muscle/ligament injuries and their first aid.
-Fitness/Weight Management
-Common alternative medical therapies
-Babies (we have a lot of babies of late on the board)
-Quitting smoking

etc...

So make some suggestions. I'll take the most popular and then make a poll out of them.

I ask you please: this is not a place to ask me specific questions about your personal health. I can neither make specific recommendations, nor properly evaluate a patient, nor prescribe treatment for any disease or condition over the internet and I would strongly suspect the motives of any physician who claims s/he can and/or should.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
umm .... very cool move, Doc clap hug

I personally would favour (in descending order)

Quitting smoking

Fitness/ weight management

Muscle/ Ligament injuries

Joint (as in a body part) injuries and their treatment

Just to take the ones you proposed into my order... oh, but alternative treatments/ alternative aids would be splendid! I just learned that honey has excellent qualities when it comes to healing, or ink....

smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Given that there seems to be quite a few questions about weight management on the board, then I think that would be a good one. However not really relevant to me.

Personally, I'd go for muscle/ligament injuries smile

Everyone can just quit smoking when every country in the whole wide world brings in no smoking inside laws! 29 day to go here! ubbrollsmile

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yep, I'd go for the muscle/ligament thing, seeing I've had so many injuries in my life, and varying levels of success with recovery.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Aye, sitting here with a f@#$ed up wrist due to lifting a stone trough 2 weeks ago my vote goes for muscle/ligament injuries.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok. I'll write one on muscle/ligament/tendon injuries. It'll help me learn about it, too.

-Mike

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Great idea.

My main questions would be, how the heck do you TELL when you actually have a tendon/ligament/muscle injury, and not just ordinary soreness? What level of discomfort is okay for training through and what means you need to rest, and for how long??

I'm rather concerned about injuries lately myself-- I'm very out of shape these days and working out to get it back, but I occasionally do stuff that's too far past me yet and hurt myself.

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
yeah, im also quite interested in this.. handstanding and stuff didnt seem to leave my wrist in a happy state when i was trying to learn, so learning some anti-damaging techniques would be wonderful smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
I'd definitely be intrigued by alternative medicines, but I think I'm more interested in things directly related towards spinning, especially the muscle/ligament/tendon thing. Either that, or possibly fitness for spinners.

Wasn't there a video lurking about relating to the repetitive strain of spinning?

=/

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Ohh the weight management and the quitting smoking would be good to read!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I have a personally motivated interest but it is relevant to the muscle thing. Can you discuss in this document about spine issues and how proper physical therapy and conditioning can support even the worst case of skeletal problems?

Oh and also discuss benefits and problems to poi and staff spinning relative to unilateral or unbalanced conditioning and how to properly condition the whole body to best support poi and staff spinning. Posture and accompanying training etc. smile

Thanks for your initiative Lightning biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Cody

Oh and also discuss benefits and problems to poi and staff spinning relative to unilateral or unbalanced conditioning and how to properly condition the whole body to best support poi and staff spinning. Posture and accompanying training etc. smile

Interesting question. The issue with this is that I have no evidence to support any claims I can make. No well-done studies (for that matter, probably no published studies at all) have ever been done into any medical issue specifically relating to poi/staff spinning.

A ligament tear is a ligament tear. A burn is a burn. Whether it was sustained while spinning poi, fire-walking, or running from an explosion is unimportant.

But when you ask certain questions about what activities would be most beneficial for poi-spinners, I can only speak in generalities.

-Mike

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Ok generalitits it is. I bet you can find white papers on general sport or athelete unballanced conditioning and even hypothesze on what happens to a poi/staff spinner and how it "should" be corrected. For example I was a gymnast and gymnasts are traditionally extremely kyphotic and hunched over becasue of the chest development. So in order to correct this there was lots of specific exercises we did to ballance it. Maybee I'm thinking in a different, not so medical realm, but it would be interesting and medical input would be nice. smile

We also had to deal with shin splints and forearm splints. Conditions from over developing one part which caused pain and problems. Certain exercises cured these ailments which was really nice to know about cause they suck. :P

Thanks!
Cody

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Let's see an article on lung development from 10 years old to 25 years old.

And whether environmental pollutants, such as smoke from fire fuel, can damage lung development from that age onwards...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
What about living with Deep vain thrombosesis?(sp) DVT.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk