Forums > Social Chat > "Poi in the Park" (TM) ?

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hey all...

As summer approaches I've been trying to restart our weekend park poi/staff/hangouts in the park. This will be my first summer organizing them (fingers crossed) and I even posted a while ago about getting everyone's advice.

The deal is this:
My fire group (1337) has and will always call all of it's workshops "Sparkshops" (We've done a few educational workshops in rented out clubs and stuff as well as lots of other educational projects.) .... BUT I did kind of want to title this particular run of sparkshops: "Poi in the park, New York City" with the explicit understanding that we didn't start it.

I have a fondness as well as a great admiration for what's going on in the UK fire community and would hate to steal anyone's thunder or idea (poi moves I'll steal shamelessly though ). It's just such a great name and I'd love to think that I had spread some of the love that started over there to over here...

My point is:
Firstly, to ask if anyone had any objections to calling it that...

And secondly, to publicly acknowledge that by calling it "Poi in the Park" I'm paying homage to those who started it across the pond.

Thirdly, If anyone is coming to New York City anytime this summer, we'll hopefully be having SOMETHING poi related going on so give me a PM!

Much love and respect to all the innovators throughout the globe.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You have my permission.

Of course, I have nothing to do with PIP (except I was there once) and have neither the right to grant nor deny permission, which makes my permission completely worthless. In fact, I'm not even sure what I'm giving permission for, but you have my permission.

(Hey, I'm just trying to be helpful...)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually... um...

NEVERMIND!!!

I think I'll use a different name after all. Something involving the word Picnic to encourage people to come even if they didn't want to Poi... and we wouldn't want to piss off the staff folks now anyway.

But I did want to state that I did not think of the concept of Poi or Parks or Poiinthepark or Picnics...

Though PK was entirely my idea.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
As far as I'm aware Mr PK would only be too delighted if you named your gathering PiP. His ego is bound to spot this thread soon enough ( ) so he'll tell you for himself.

Personally I'd call it PiNY (to rhyme with tiny), if solely for the reason that it sounds funny.

Meh

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
*mouches in with swolen head*

quote:
Originally posted by C@ntus:
His ego is bound to spot this thread soon enough ( ) so he'll tell you for himself.

PIPNYC i like it. charge a small fee and fly me out there to join up! anyway will be heading NY way soon clear your floor dude.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Fold out couch dude. Fire spinner approved. Any time. Well... almost any time.

I can't promise any quality fire spinning but can promise decent restraunts and a quality tour of the city if I'm not working.

Besides... If PK hits New York you need to give me time to pimp you out. There are some firespinners here who need you. Most of them don't even know it yet.

Save us PK. Save us all.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

Daiquetmember
29 posts

Posted:
Hey PK,

Are you a member of Fire Performers Unite over in yahoo groups???

Love Daiquet

whoops

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
He's a member of Te Pooka

Meh

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i think i still am, not that i have been there in about a year.

my yahoo login is international_smuggler< so if my names on it thats me!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
actually cantus thats an old link for once you got some thing wrong new te POOKa site <<

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Call that a website! A poodle could do better!
Only joking, but it's a little skiwiffy in places.

Daiquetmember
29 posts

Posted:
I couldnt find you over at FPU but i knew i knew you from somewhere We still dont write anything over there

Love Daiquet

whoops