Forums > Social Discussion > Crazy Story (was: what sux)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
We have a lovely fire gathering in Adelaide, Oz - which Kate and I have regularly attended for the last 5+ years (OS travel notwithstanding). Beautiful people and a good spot keeps bringing us back year after year.

Every Friday morning we pack our fire gear and juggling gear in our van, along with chairs cushions drums and other stuff to make it fun. Over the years we've accumulated a lot of gear, which we usually take down there. we sometimes go out afterwards for a dance or a drink with other friends, and so end up packing going out clothes and other stuff so we can go straight from work.

So this last Friday was no exception - we packed up the van, drove to work parked it in the staff car park as usual and finally the day finished and it was time to go down to the park for a big juggle session before Capoeira. well...to our suprise someone had stolen our van! with all our toys, clothes for training and going out and my djembe!

Now thats really crap. Insurance wont cover contents because they werent in a locked boot (vans dont have one) and probly we wont get the real value of our car if its written off or never turns up. But thats not the really sucky part - we have another car we can use.

Another thing thats really frustrating is that our toys are unlikely to ever get used again and will probly end up burned along with our van. All the fun that they could bring into the world will be wasted. That really sucks. I mean, if I thought that some poor people were going to get them and be happy learning how to juggle and fire twirl - I might be a bit happier, but I dont think thats going to happen. Its such a waste frown

And with us looking at getting a mortgage in the next few months, I cant see us replacing this list of toys we've accumulated over the years;

2* concentrate collapsable sticks

3* juggling firesticks (which I only just bought:/)

a pair of swinging fire clubs with cathedral heads

2*pairs of cathedral firepoi

1*pair of oversize cathedral fire poi

6*Albertross juggling clubs

7*adjustable weight matched juggling balls

6*large stage balls

6* 3" acrylics

2* fluro monkeyfist meteors

too many practise poi and tails pairs and sticks to mention

and my djembe.

so our firey and juggly fun will be a little bit limited for a long time. And that really really sucks. Its true what they say - you never know what you have til its gone. I dont care too much about the posessions, but I do care about not being able to practice all these fun skills.

has anyone else lost all their gear before?

Josh

frown

EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1182058642)

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Oh my God!!!! hug

Although I had nowhere near as much gear as you both did, I empathise with you completely: I had my car stolen late last year and unfortunately all my toys happened to be in the boot. I was mortified and felt sick & violated.

However, a month later my car was recovered, and my fire toys save for some practice poi remained in the car. I sincerely hope that the same fortune befalls you as it did me

hug hug frown

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Yep, that sux.

So many people will miss out on alot of fun due to the selfishness of some.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
grouphug

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Awww super sympathy Josh and Kate.
That sucks to the power of 10.
Fingers crossed that you get it back.
There is still hope smile

If you set up a paypal or other donate button, I would happily chip in to a fund to help you replace your kit.

:hugs:
:hugs::hugs:
:hugs::hugs::hugs:
Drew

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
OMG!!!

mates, thats truly sux the big one.....my heart goes out to you both frown

thats all i can say, that and that my fingers are crossed that you will miraculously have your van returned to you(you never know, stranger things have happened at sea).

*hugs* and much love to you both

biggins

(farkin pikey vankers!!! gaaaaaaaah!!!!)

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
and it got stolen from work as well???

waaaaaahhh!!!!!

surely someone must have seen something.....its a school for fekks sake

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
OMG - what a nightmare!!!! eek

hug hug hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
oh guys! thats sooooo sh*te!

ive travelling in that van... seen it at numerous festivals ever since i met you. ack! so many obvious things to say about how crap that is but im sure you've though of them all already frown

mega hugs to you my friends. wish there was something i could do to help.

luv,
Ed hug

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
arrrgh! How frustrating for you!! frown
don't suppose anything got caught on CCTV as its a school?

Anyway, fingers crossed everything turns up soon..
hug

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
wow... frown
i really hope you get everything back
many hugs and love from me
hughughug

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Dude, sorry to hear it, it bites when people nick your toys, it's happened to me before and even though the items are replaceable, it's the memories that they carry that are important, not the items themselves. hug

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
frown I'm lucky to have never lost anything on that scale before.

frown That really does suck hug

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
That really sux big time!

I have lost gear before, but it’s been my own stupid fault rolleyes

What type of van was stole? The word is out, so people living in the Adelaide area could keep an eye out for the van, and check dumpsters for your toys.

There is always a silver lining.

Congratulations on getting a house.

beerchug
EDITED_BY: Stone (1180231939)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
(nay, Stone.. Josh said they were intending to get a mortgage... and they ain't no fun either. Literally translates to death grip, ya know.)

Meanwhile, one pair of Mr Babache cathedral head swinging clubs in the mail. I bought 'em ages ago and never did get the hang of 'em.

All yours, bro, seeing you know how to use them. wink

And some random tail poi just cos I can.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Fair point newgabe, I thought that sounded a little odd. I’ll change that to house smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
That sucks

Hope you get your stuff back
and good luck with the house hunting

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all your support guys! smile

Kate dug up some old clubs I made before I had my Alby's so I went out and had a juggle with them. Learned a new trick (531 with clubs) so its been ok. Still a bit miffed but I'll get over it.

grouphug

Josh

--

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Yeh, you guys are wonderful. hug2

Thanks for your support and Bren your story gives us some hope.

I am just hoping to go to work tomorrow morning to find our van where we parked in on Friday with a note inside saying "Sorry for not asking to borrow your van, but here it is all back in one piece. Thanks for the great weekend - we spent it spinning fire,listening to tunes and playing the drum".

Even if we don't get the note, having the van back with all it's contents would be ace.

Kate

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Any news? DId your *walk in the car park and there it was* wish come true?

i had my car stolen a few years ago: the cops said it would turn up in the middle of the night in 3 days in Beenleigh. (I thought they knew rather too much about it...) It was indeed found at 2 am outside the Beenleigh Catholic church with a full tank of petrol and tuned into Christian radio. confused

Seeing it had been used in an armed robbery during its time away... interesting thieves.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
no...no news yet...

Josh

--

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
wow josh, thats extra not so good hug

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Katinca

I am just hoping to go to work tomorrow morning to find our van where we parked in on Friday with a note inside saying "Sorry for not asking to borrow your van, but here it is all back in one piece. Thanks for the great weekend - we spent it spinning fire,listening to tunes and playing the drum".

Kate

yeh thats the thing. its so not the same but i had my bike nicked from outside my house one friday night.it was a shoddy bike, had like two gears but i used it to get to work. not worth anything to anyone. but defo an inconvenience as it was blatantly just nicked by some drunk on the way home friday night.

I so wouldnt have minded them borrowing it but i did hope they would bring it back. "thanks for the loan, was a bit to tired to walk the rest of the way, sorry for the inconvenince"

anyways....tangent over..as you were

fingers still crossed over here (i hope your van come back cos i'm starting to lose sensations in my finger tips)

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
eek holy crapola batman! that's just rude! *shakes head*

i hope some lovely random miracle happens for you guys - something like gabe's story (though maybe minus the armed robbery!) - you totally deserve it! biggrin hug

*sends happy van & gear retrieving thoughts your way*

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Wow.

Some people are just complete... well, you know. frown

Real sorry for your loss if fire-toys Josh :-\
Like everyone else, I hope some miracle comes about and you get all your equipment back, along with your van.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
hug

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Holy moly, sorry to hear that dude! hug2

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Hey Josh/Kate, so so sorry to hear about it. That's definitely up there with the most awful things I've heard about ever. Can't say I've ever been in the same boat, but I've had a mobile phone stolen from just in front of me in a club before (back when mobile phones were really expensive luxury items..) and it was one of the few things I had that cost a bit. Was heartbroken! It also left a terribly sour taste with me for a while.

Things have been a bit good to me lately and I'm slowly accumulating things which make up a life (juggling clubs, washing machine, intricate looking corridor runner rug, camera lenses, cutlery.. in no meaningful order), and I'd all but forgotten about that mobile that's now gone that's already long outdated. Well, til I thought about this van theft anyway. I know it's upsetting, and my heart goes out to you both, but at the end of the day, they're things which can be (to some extent) replaced, and they will be wink

In the meantime though, try not to let it get you guys down..karma will fix you up hug hug hug

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
So on Friday Afternoon we completed negotiations for a new Van to replace our old one. The RAA (Royal Automobile Assoc) did an inspection and the van looks good so we bought it. We think we got a great van (4X4, two petrol tanks, dual battery system, etc etc) for a great price. Even better, it was already set up for camping so we decided to drive it to a party on Saturday night so that we could get some sleep before driving home the next day.

so Saturday rolls around and we pack up our van with our new gear and head off to the party, which was being held in a part of Adelaide we almost never visit. By this point I've completely given up on getting our van back - we had all but signed the insurance cheque ($1000 less than the value of the van btw) and we'd bought a new Van. So it was by some kind of miracle that I recognised our old faithful Tarago sitting in a carpark behind a truckstop, at night, behind other cars and behind some trees!!! (from 200m away - and we were going 80kph at the time too!!!) .

I instantly thought the thief would be in the truck stop getting dinner or something, but it was too late to turn into the truckstop, so we had to continue down the dual carriage way and make a turn at the next intersection. This intersection had what had to be a 5 minute light cycle - which felt like an eternity! I thought the thief was going to finish dinner and drive off in the time it would take us to get back there...

Eventually we made it back to the truckstop, and sure enough it was our Van! up to this point I wasnt 100% sure, but I had an extremely strong gut feeling.

Called the police who came and checked it out (sure enough the stereo was stolen along with a few other things (folding chairs?!) but all our juggling and twirling gear, and clothes were still inside!!!. got the all clear and we drove it home!

Now we are the proud owners of 2 white vans, one of which is tried and true (Marvin the Tarago) and one of which seems really good, but has yet to prove itself (Stomper the L300 Express on steroids).

Plus we have all our gear back ubbrollsmile

all we are down is the stereo from the Tarago which to replace will probly cost about $600.

Crazy things to think about;

-We only drive down the road we found the van on about twice a year - only for parties.
-I may not have been able to see the old van if I wasn't in the high view point of the new Van (our other car is an old sports car - much lower, less visibility).
-we almost didnt buy the new van - it was a very close call - without it we probly wouldnt have seen the old Van.
-If we had gotten the insurance cheque and signed it and returned the claim agreement (due on monday) - the insurance company would be the owners of our old van, essentially bought from us for the cheap cheap price of $3052.48.
-I had given up looking for the Van - I must have still been doing it subconsciously, but I was making an effort to stop because we had bought a new van...

I have to say, that I'm not really much of a 'universe works in mysterious ways' kinda guy, but I really feel like this is the result of all the positive energy that has been flowing our way since this crap started. I ran about the party when we eventually got there hugging all our friends, and If I could I'd hug all of you too! Suffice it to say;

Thankyou everyone - you are stars!

grouphug

hmm perhaps I should get one of those 'Magic Happens' stickers than I used to think were rubbish... wink

biggrin juggle ubbloco

--

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Dood! That is too cool!! cool

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Oh wow! That's amazing!!!!! biggrin

I'm glad it turned up for you both smile - It's great to hear my experience and yours ended up as happy endings! Perhaps my fortunate luck with my car-theft-and-subsequent-return late last year made its way over to you two smile

hug Look forward to seeing you both & the vans Marvin & Stomper at CG biggrin

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Page: