Forums > Social Discussion > Control Orders, Terrorism and Guilty til Proven Innocent

Login/Join to Participate

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
I've been reading the BBC news "Have your say" discussion board and have shouted at the screen at least twice.

The story is that terrorism suspects have broken their control orders. They've been charged with nothing, they've not been to court and are effectively innocent. They are "suspected of wanting to kill UK troops" (BBC news) and John Reid, that bastion of national security has asked for greater powers to stop terror suspects. The 3 who've escaped aren't even suspected of planning terrorism, they're suspected of wanting to travel abroad "for terrorism-related purposes".

Now I'm not going to create a big thread on terrorism, its causes or how to stop it, I want to discuss the views of the people on the BBC thread here. They're so willing to drop out of the Human rights act, make terrorism suspects guilty til proven innocent, and effectively give up all their freedoms for security. I don't know about anyone else, but I couldn't help thinking of the poem: When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

Because surely if you're giving a government more and more power, you're going to end up losing everything, security and freedom. My question to you fine people is this: Why is terrorism so different from any other crime that people are so willing to give up their hard-earned freedoms?

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Some people try to push things as far as they can.. The goverments have seen that they can get away with some restrictions, now they are trying more and more.

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
give them an inch and they'll take a mile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
give them your guns and they shoot you with them... ? wink

Actually I do believe that the more you talk with your neighbor and the more (politically) active you get, the less likely you will keep yourself out of trouble, errrm

Serious: try politics and see whether you can stick to your principles/ ideals, all the way to the top... umm without surrender...

"THEY" do not exist... THEY are you and me... Just on the other side of the panel.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink