Zeduahmember
11 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone.... you all seem to be poi pros, so I'm a little nervous about posting on here.... I guess my main concern is whether or not anyone else had trouble coordinating their left hand with some of the more complex moves. I just starting glowstick-twirling about three weeks ago, and my left hand is preventing me from doing anything really cool. Thought maybe y'all could offer some tips.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hi im also a beginer and i go to art schoolin south africa so i have chosen poi as my street thater skill and i am also having trouble co-ordenating my left and right so do you have any tips yet?

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
hay go to the "new moves" section and look at the move i just posted it should be fairly easy(not the 30-50 tricks one..... that is much much harder!!!!)ps im ambedextrous so i had no trouble with left and right coordination tongue

rhianmember
23 posts

Posted:
When I first started poi I was really crap with my left side so I started doing everyday household things with my left hand and soon it became more controllable, I work in a coffee shop so I also switched hands to work the coffee machine, I hope this helps.

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
I found that the best way to learn was to work up a kinda routine. Do the move using only one poi (like malcome said) but also to simulate what your other hand is doing.You may look like a bit of a twat but it worked for me.keep on swinging. peace out garbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey Zeduah + Kelly, i would go for practising each hand separately too if i were you and i would spend double the time on the left than on the right...my main tip is to be patient, that's all that it takes, i guess for some people it's easier than for others - my advise for more difficult moves would be this... say you want to learn how to do the weave (a.k.a. chase) - practise lots with each hand separately (more with the left smile ) and try to position & move the hand without the poi in the same way it's gonna be moving in the actual move with both poi...then when you put it all together and try the move try and concentrate on what your left hand is doing since by the sound of it, that's the hand that is gonna give you trouble so it's easier to move it correctly if you concentrate on it - oh and once you get a move for the first time, try and keep it going for as much time as you can... it helps a lot and makes it easier to get it again... oh and Zeduah swinging glowsticks is fun but make sure you have a really soft set of practise poi so that you are not afraid to hit yourself with them; it will help you learn things much faster and without getting hurt...hope this helps, good luck to both of you,Simos[This message has been edited by Simos (edited 09 January 2001).]

sammiemember
56 posts

Posted:
1. stretch out your left arm2. open hand3. grab pint glass4. lift to mouth(repeat frequently to build up strength in left arm for poi!....tried and tested and works ok!) smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
As much as I like Sammie's warm ups *nice one Sammie* I am inclined to agree with Simos. Practice twice as much with the left. Don't get frustrated cause that will just mess you up more. I always work my weaker arm first and more than the other with anything new I am trying. In working with it first I find I get the flow quicker and don't get as frustrated with my imbalance. It does work and you will eventually get it. If we did, especially with Sammie's technique tongue then rest assured you can too.Also Zeduah, don't feel intimidated by us...we aren't really pros...we only play them on tv. grinWelcome to the insanity!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
Hi there,all your questions may already have been answered, but this is what happened to me. i'm left-handed, so natch like all the other posters on this board winki was clumsy with my right at first. now, for some reason i can't get my left hand in on my new pole moves! i think my hind-brain or whatever decided (without written consent)that i was going to be right handed at this particular thing because whenever i picked up the pole or one chain it would be to practise with my weaker hand...anyway, my advice is find someone in your area who does it and see if they will put up with you. pele, you really been on tv doing poi? cooooolKelly, if you are in johannesburg, mail me and i will reply with our next practice date etc - teaching helps us learn. its a zen thing smileo-oowenf@mighty.co.za

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
i been on tv as wellthey were doing some thing on raves and they did a close up of me spinning(i purposly wacked the camera cause the guy was telling me what to do... that is very annoying cause i know more then him)

kimzumember

Posted:
I just started poi as well and this may help. Practice at first with no chains and count your movements. It's very similar to playing drums - having one hand before the other - try counting 1,2,3, then 1 and 2 and 3, and then 1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a - and so forth. For instance your right hand goes up at 1 and your left hand goes up at and. This will eventually improve your movement - I hope atleast - Keep on swingin'!

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
This may not be as relevant to the simpler moves, but I always used to have trouble just figuring out where my hands were supposed to go in relation to each other and WHEN, to keep the chains from tangling. This frustrated the heck out of me, until my neighbor (a very practical 70 year old pre-school teacher) recommended that I try doing my moves with sticks first so that I could slow them down as much as I wanted without having to worry about centrifugal (sp?) force... Does that make sence? It was how I FINALLY managed to understand the weave/chase. Before that, I could do fine with one hand and fine with the other, but I just couldn't figure out how to get them together...

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
i made the sticks suggestion in the new moves sectionit helped me alot

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I am in no way a pro at poi.I only started last summer and I still have a lot of practice to do. A lot of my practice of new moves comes before I even pick up my Poi at all. I couldn't figure out the weave when I started Poi and it wasn't until I thought about the moves in my head then moved my hands simulating spinning that I understood what I was doing. I came home from work..picked up the Poi and viola - there was the weave. I picked up the low turn, mexican wave and the corkscrew the same way. So in this winter weather I can practice in my head.Its handy having a good imagination, not half as cool as the real thing.Still snowboarding is keeping me sane and is my obsession at the moment..Have a good weekend peepsKat ------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
I started out using clubs as well ... and although i absolutely despise the things now, I'd have to admit that they were awfully helpful when i moved to poi. It really pays to be able to slow things down when you are learning.Ðraevon.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Draevon,Out of curiousity, why do you hate clubs now?

Zeduahmember
11 posts

Posted:
Thank you all for replying, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner... actually forgot that I had posted something! tongue Anyway, now I'm officially registered. Your tips turned out to be quite helpful, I actually do pick up new moves by spinning one at a time. Actually for something completely new I usually just try spinning my hands and visualizing where the poi would be, it actually works quite well - in order for me to do a move, I have to be able to comprehend and know exactly where the poi are going to be at all times and which direction they are headed in, what my hands are supposed to be doing next, etc etc, have to be pretty methodical about it. Trance music helps too, I'm sure I kill the neighbors blaring trance music out of the open door of my apartment at 10 pm every night (20-30 degree temp) so I can hear it to have a beat to swing to... it's really a lot of fun, I'm happy that I got into it... a very original and FUN hobby. Can't imagine getting tired of it. Well, gotta hit the sack now. Thanks again to all of you for replying to the new-b. smile

HOP Newsletter