ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
So i was shopping for jewelery for my girlfriend today and it made me wonder if jewelery ive given girls in the past ends up never being worn again/chucked out/given away or if it still gets worn. So for the ladies do you still wear jewelery that was a gift from an ex? For the guys how do you feel about your girlfriend wearing jewelery from an ex?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Depends on the circumstances. I believe in remembering the good things from a past relationship so keeping sentimental stuff is okay. However, wearing of jewellery, constant references to a relationship or pinings for a former partner would seem like they hadn't 'let go' yet, and nobody deserves to play second fiddle to a former partner.

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol If you are looking for a present for your girl with these thoughts in your mind, maybe you consider to bring her flowers instead? wink

Have you ever had a girl give jewelry to you? rolleyes

To me it depends how the relationship went and how I am with this person today. If that is bad, I let go of it as it doesn't hold positive energy for me - if we can still meet without bad feelings, or even in friendship I will continue to wear it and hold it dear... sure it has something to do with "detachment"... it's easier for me to detach from the piece, than from the energy it holds.

But thanks for raising that, I will pay more attention to what jewelry girls wear and maybe ask... wink
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1180009728)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I have a necklace an ex gave me for my 16th. I didn't wear it for about two years after he broke up with me, the I found it in a drawer and realised it's actually a lovely necklace, so I started wearing it again because it was too pretty to hide away in a drawer. So for me it was more about not letting a pretty piece of jewelery go to waste than happy memories.

On saying that, Alan bought me a necklace a few months back and I haven't taken it off since!

ubblove

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i gave my ex a necklace and then she gave it back to me months later when she got mad. i never officially gave it back to her but i dont think i grabbed it when i moved out. i wonder what happened to it. On a side note, is it really THAT bad to give jewelry to a new girl that you gave to an old one?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

cinderella456newbie
22 posts

Posted:
re: spanner - my mum saved all her bits n pieces from old bfs and gave it to me and my sister to wear, when we were young enough to start wanting to wear pretty things and not have much of our own, but old enough not to break them. i still wear a ring that an ex gave to her when she was 16, and i'm now 20... but, it's a pretty ring, and it means something, tho not huge amounts, to her. i like that, and would like to do the same thing one day...

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I've kept all the decent stuff. Some of my ex's have had awful taste. Well, nearly all of them.
My bf prefers me not to wear stuff from exes, so I don't.

(But they are pretty and I want to)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I have absolutely no problem wearing jewelry from ex's. My favorite pair of earrings came from an ex. I still wear them daily, but they don't make me think about him. They were just exactly what I had wanted when I asked for a similar present from my mother several years before, and the BF didn't even know that, or that I had a "better" pair tucked in a drawer somewhere. I've got a whole bunch of silver stuff from another BF that rarely gets worn, mostly because I don't wear silver nearly as much these days as I did back in high school. Then, I never wore gold, now that's all I usually wear. So, they are stored simply because my tastes have changed. Pretty jewelry that anyone bought you deserves to be worn in my opinion.

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

I have a necklace an ex gave me for my 16th. I didn't wear it for about two years after he broke up with me, the I found it in a drawer and realised it's actually a lovely necklace, so I started wearing it again because it was too pretty to hide away in a drawer. So for me it was more about not letting a pretty piece of jewelery go to waste than happy memories.

On saying that, Alan bought me a necklace a few months back and I haven't taken it off since!

ubblove

Yea i reckon someone who forgets the sentimental value of something and wears it just for the sake of wearing it, shows that they've let go far more than someone who puts something in a draw and never wears it again, especially if they never throw it out.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I sold my engagement ring when that fell on it's face.. spent the dough down the pub 'celebrating' - that years ago tho..

my recent ex 'bought' me a couple of rings that I still wear, but only becuase I chose them and actually paid for them (it was the old 'I'll pay you back I promise' routine that I fell for so many times) so in effect they didn't come from him, I chose them, I paid for them.. he just happened to be around at the time of transaction, so it doesn't really count *sigh*

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
you don't have to forget it, but just say that it doesn't really matter.
I won't forget why I got the necklace, but moved passed the feelings, regret or whatever

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I have a silver band that I wear round my wrist that was given to me by an ex.

I only wear it because it is a lovely piece of jewellery that just happens to cover up some unsitly scars I accidently gave myself a couple of years ago.

I am getting a new piece made at the moment so this current one will be retired when I get that from my jeweller.

I will keep the piece in question because it is still memories of a time gone past, painful or not, memories are what made us who we are so why would I throw something like that away?

Besides my ex and I are good friends now so it is more like a pressie from a good mate.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Spanner

I've kept all jewellery given to me by ex-boyfriends.
It's of little financial value and I don't wear it now, but I still keep it separately, especially as it includes a couple of cute little things people have made for me themselves.
I hope my child(ren/grandchildren) enjoys looking at in the future, because it was given in love at some point, regardless of the course of the relationship, so there's a positive story about each piece smile

yup ditto

I still wear some things given to me by exes, but only if I really like it.Plus to be honest half the time I don't even think about who gave it to me until somebody asks where I got it from. shrug

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Where do you score these boyfriends who buy you jewellery!

Closest I have was this:

Many years ago I was engaged to someone who died before we could be married. One of the last things we did was go choose a ring. It was only a cheap little thing (we were hippies) and it had a flaw in the coral. We decided we would buy it anyway cos 'life isn;t perfect' and the little hole was like the dark yin spot in the bright yang etc. (I told you we were hippies meditate )

The next day he died. SO I went back and bought it myself. I wore it on a chain around my neck for years, it was like a talisman to protect me and our little son. The bright spot in the dark.

Needless to say, I still have it.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Where do you score these boyfriends who buy you jewellery!

Closest I have was this:
Many years ago I was engaged to someone who died before we could be married. One of the last things we did was go choose a ring. It was only a cheap little thing (we were hippies) and it had a flaw in the coral. We decided we would buy it anyway cos it was like the dark yin spot in the bright yang etc. (I told you we were hippies meditate )

The next day he died. SO I went back and bought it myself. I wore it on a chain around my neck for years, it was like a talisman to protect me. The bright spot in the dark.

Needless to say, I still have it.

hug frown

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Gabe you shared something very beautiful together and made someting just as beautiful angel2 hug angel2

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: BamBam

Gabe you shared something very beautiful together and made someting just as beautiful angel2 hug angel2

Who has brought a lot of beautiful things into my life. Like you, Miss Bam hug
When do I see you again?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
You could do it like my last ex and take the bracelet and ring out of the drawer without even letting her know after splitting up... so then you can give them to the next girlfriend and save money or wear them yourself if they're unisex. wink

I have one ring that meant a lot to me that I never wore again, and a few other bits of jewellery that I still wear. Depends on the item and what it means to you/her I guess!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half