Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Philadelphia Poi Workshops by Mike (ICoN) - 6/3/07

Login/Join to Participate

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone. After my recent trips to teach at Brandeis University in Massachusetts and the Temple of Poi in San Francisco, I decided to start teaching some workshops here at home. Thus, I am scheduling my first local workshops of the Summer for Sunday, June 3rd. They will be held behind the Art Museum at the columns.

You can pre-register for the classes through Paypal or you can walk-in and pay with cash or money order at a slightly higher fee. Pre-registration payments are accepted until 8pm on June 2nd and are non-refundable unless the class is canceled (in which case you will be notified ASAP via email). Weather you pre-register or are planning to walk in, it is recommended that you send an email to mike@phillyfire.org to let me know you are coming and tell me which class(es) you plan to attend. For any other comments or inquiries, please email me at mike@phillyfire.org.

The schedule is as follows:

12:00pm - 1:30pm
Introduction to Poi Spinning

For those of you who have always wanted to learn but haven't had the opportunity, here it is! In this 1.5 hour session you will learn all the fundamentals of poi spinning in a fun and friendly atmosphere from one of the east coast's best poi spinners. No poi? No problem! There will be plenty of poi available for use during the session as well as for purchase at the low low price of $8 (free for pre-reg). You no longer have an excuse so sign up today and take your first steps to being a poi spinner!

Cost:
Walk-in - $20, Pre-register - $15
(Added Bonus - All pre-register sign ups will receive a FREE set of practice poi!)

-----------------

1:45pm - 3:15pm
Advanced Technique: Tangles & Inversions

This is a class for intermediate to advanced spinners. You must at least be comfortable with doing the 3-beat weave in forward and reverse and experience with buzzsaws, isolations, and separations will help. The use of sock poi is recommended (though not required) for this class as learning tangles is much easier with them.

Cost:
Walk-in - $25, Pre-register - $20

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

cherrybombstranger
6 posts

Posted:
wicked! i just may be there. got to request off work and see how that turns out though.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Awesome! I hope to see you there.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

NinaaaSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
I'm considering going..I don't know which class would be better for me since I kinda know some moves from just messin around so I guess I would be kind of in the middle there.. I never had anyone actually teach me anything though, it's hard to find other people that are into poi around here

Ohhh yeahhh....!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I would say that the 'intro to poi' class might not be for you. This is an INTRO to poi - Mainly for people who never spun poi at all before. The inversions/tangles class is a bit advanced but doesn't really require much skill to learn the basics. Most people of your skill level will leave such a class knowing how to do the moves but need to practice for a few weeks to really get them down.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me