Forums > Social Discussion > Enjokousai: Dating, Prostitution or Paedophelia?

Login/Join to Participate

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'm currently writing an essay in Japanese (so don't ask to read it ubblol ) titled:

Enjo Kousai: Compensated Dating, Schoolgirl Prostitution or Paedophaelia?

I have made my decision (and will write about it once I have finished my essay) but I am interested as to what others think. I also find it interesting given the [Old link] I brought up last year.

A Plain School Uniform as the Latest Aphrodisiac

What to do about Saaya Irie

Name Brand Beauties for Sale

Schoolgirls selling virtual virginity

Don't worry, they're all in English wink

EDITED_BY: Rouge Dragon (1179616898)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Paedophilia and prostitution I reckon

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
mix of both me thinks confused japans always had seual dieviency in my book, hell you can by soiledmens undercrackers out of vending machines ubblol

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Ok, so now that that's done and the assignment has been handed in (please cross your fingers for me that I get a good mark cos I worked my butt off on it!!)

I think it is both prostitution and paedophelia, but more of the paedophelia side of things. If you want to think of it like the stock market; the men are the demand and the girls are the supply. If there was no demand, there would be no supply.

In most societies, it is the role of the elders to educate the youngers (and Japan, with its strict heirachial nature is one of these societies) and thereofore these men are irresponsible towards their education of what is right and wrong to the young. Many of these men are married, and many of these girls suffer from "wounds of the heart" (sorry, twas a Japanese reference I didn't bother giving you) from practising this so-called "dating".

Something else that disgusts me is that these girls arent doing it for food or other basic needs (like most people who sell themselves), they are doing it for material possessions, and VERY material possessions at that! And to me that is a horrible reflexion on the society.

One of the reasons why this occurs, is that there isn't a relationship between fathers and daughters (usually because the father is at work all the time) and therefore there is no notion of "she could be my daughter" or "he could be my father" that enters into the problem.

thats my opinion in a very badly written nutshell (don't mind me, i'm still literally thinking in japanese after that assignment! i'm not kidding!)

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I'm not defending, just playing devils advocate...

Possibly just a culture thing rather than a responsibility thing? I dont know much about Japan, but I do know that their culture is rather different than ours?

Pls note this is not a flamer...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I agree somewhat with flashpoint. It's very hard for us to get a true perspective on this, as our culture is so different to theirs.

I think it's very easy for us to come down harshly on them, criticising them, but I think its really important to get a sense of the context of the situation.

I didn't get through reading all those essays (I've got my own to be writing at the moment!), but IMO the most important thing to consider is the psycological effect it has on the girls.

I'm certainly not condoning the situation, but I agree it's important not to judge too quickly.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
as i understand it an age of Concent was only introduced in teh 80's in japan

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Rob, that's new information to me. Which is interesting cos I would have expected it to show up in some of my books! (not that "age of consent" is exactly vocab that i know! lol!)

People commenting that maybe it's a cultural thing that this is ok. Maybe before the Meiji Restoration (when Japan opened to the Western World) it was, but since then there are child prostitution laws, implying that this sort of behaviour is less than acceptable. Furthermore, it is generally frowned upon by Japanese women (who are discovering feminism) and while there is pleanty of literature on this social phenomenon, even in Japan it usually focuses on the negative aspects, and Pricklyleaf, yes, they do talk about the effect it has on the girls.