• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Technical Discussion > Looking to build a firestaff

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
Rellizate
GOLD Member since Feb 2007

Rellizate

old hand

Total posts: 719
Posted:Hello, I am going to build a new firestaff sometime in the near future and I have a few questions. First up, I want really really big flames, and along burn time. I was looking for 200mm wicks, but no where sells anything like that large. So I was wondering, what is the best way to make huge wicks that size, and how would I go about getting a fairly decent burn time? I was thinking of perhaps sewing two 100mm 1m long wicks together, and then wrapping them tube core way. Would that work well?
Also, my old staff has wooden dowls inside the aluminium where the wicks are. Is there any purpose if this other than to pervent heat transfer really? As I use 15 inch fire chucks with 65mm wicks without wooden cores, and I've never got any heat from them.
One last thing is will I be able to put wicks this size on my 140cm staff without the wicks burning the grip?

So basically, is the wood really needed, and what is the best way of making huge wicks (about 200mm), and will I be able to put wicks this size on my 140cm staff without the wicks burning the grip?

Thanks for all who read. biggrin

Delete Topic

Page: 12