Forums > Social Discussion > Dont use google, use google scraper

Login/Join to Participate

jensterPLATINUM Member
57 posts

Posted:
Google scraper is a search engine that 'scrapes' google. Essentially anything you search for in google scraper will be searched for in google, but google scraper does not display all the adverts google does. It also protects your privacy by not enabling google to set a cookie, google cant see your IP address and cant tell which searches are from the same person.

Google scraper doesnt save search terms and logs are deleted every 48 hours. I think this is a step in the right direction as thesedays nobodys privacy is protected on the internet. Just thought i would share this.

https://www.scroogle.org/

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i dont care if people know what im doing a search for, in the unlikley event someone found out i did a search for.....oh...i dont know.....actually i cant think of any search that is incriminating in anyway. and as for teh ads, they make google free, it doesnt bother me that there is a banner off to the side, most of the time i don't notice them.

just my 2 cents

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

jensterPLATINUM Member
57 posts

Posted:
i dont do incriminating searches but i know that big search engines who store searches and cookies and IP addresses have to hand over whatever info is requested of them to the US government when it asks. This happened, google refused, went to court and lost so had to hand over lots of private information. Google scraper doesnt save this data so cant be asked to hand over private information as it has not got any stored.

I for one dont like to be bombarded by ads every minute every day, they are all over TV, on the sides of roads, radio, magazines and many many more places so one less bombardment is welcomed from my perspective.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
There's a firefox plugin called CustomizeGoogle that gives far more control over what google search displays, how results are presented, lets you cull sponsored links etc.

and cookies are local anyway, so if they bother you, just delete them more often.

all scroogle would therefore benefit you by, is making google get their IP from a search request. but then why would you trust scroogle with your IP more than them anyway?

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
cute
I use customize google and add block plus add ins for firefox

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Glåss

cute
I use customize google and add block plus add ins for firefox

I also use the above quoted.

ubbidea But I also use FoxyProxy inline with Tor which eliminates my IP too rolleyes .

Screwgle looks RUBBISH to me. With a website design as bad as that for a search engine, and for that reason alone I will add that with the Ask Jeeves, Yahoo and the others. I like Google just the way I program FireFox to give me results.

ubbrollsmile

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Google's ads are some of the least intrusive benign things out there. Not to mention that every once in awhile they're actually relevant, and work! Don't be so greedy, they are free afterall and a lot less annoying than banner ads

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

jensterPLATINUM Member
57 posts

Posted:
why is everyone focusing on the ads part???? That is not the real benefit of google scraper, privacy is!!!

jensterPLATINUM Member
57 posts

Posted:
what do you mean by 'dont be so greedy' Lurch?

jensterPLATINUM Member
57 posts

Posted:

ubbidea But I also use FoxyProxy inline with Tor which eliminates my IP too rolleyes .

Screwgle looks RUBBISH to me. With a website design as bad as that for a search engine, and for that reason alone I will add that with the Ask Jeeves, Yahoo and the others. I like Google just the way I program FireFox to give me results.

ubbrollsmile

Tor is a good program, just recently found out about it, and still learning. As for google scraper website design - its not ment to be an artistic piece of work, just a place to enter a search term. I know people have their own preferences, i was just sharing what i think is a good alternative to all the maor search engines.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well.. thanks for sharing smile

Getting to the other side smile

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i like google's customisations.
i use my google history and bookmarks quite often (Gmarks ff extension) to keep bookmarks between computers and thusly welcome our google overlords.
no tinfoil hat needed wink

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
if you're searching for something dodgy just use a proxy. this will also mean that your isp won't know what you've been searching for either.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jenster

i know that big search engines who store searches and cookies and IP addresses have to hand over whatever info is requested of them to the US government when it asks. This happened, google refused, went to court and lost so had to hand over lots of private information.

perhaps you should do some more research, Google didn't hand over any cookies, IP addresses or user data

See if you knew anything about Google you would know that they are very user focused, their whole business has been based around the user with a very core attitude of

“our most important asset by far is our reputation as a company that warrants our users' faith and trust. That trust is the foundation upon which our success and prosperity rests, and it must be re-earned every day, in every way, by every one of us.” https://investor.google.com/conduct.html

This attitude was there since the beginning (see the Google Story for details) and is why both of the founders are now worth 30 billion a piece.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Twiggymember
162 posts

Posted:
Id still use Google even if they did. tongue
Its not that much of a big deal.

viysharingstranger
1 post

Posted:
can retrieve search results from Google.
Google scraper script you can view on PHPKode.com