Forums > Help! > Area-specific Fire Performance Risk Assessment

Login/Join to Participate

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone! I've just been out to a beautiful site that we're fire-performing at, to conduct a location-specific risk assessment. The site is on an island connected by a bridge, and is very picturesque - I can't wait! When I got there though, my mind went blank as to what I could possibly write about...

...OK plants ... if weather is too dry, vegetation will catch if a prop is dropped onto it. Trees with overhanging branches to be steered well clear of. At least a 3 metre clearance given to adjacent pathway. Performers at risk of falling into water. Fuel to be stored out of way of performers and passers-by.

These are all obvious risks and considerations that I thought of when I saw the place. But what else? I really don't want to miss anything, and risk invalidating our insurance. Any help would be appreciated in filling the gaps smile

Also, if anyone has any example risk assessments, I would be very grateful. I saw them on offer on a year-old thread, but I thought it would be kind of disrespectful just to turn up out of the blue and ask for something for nothing from someone I don't really know - so here I am kinda explaining my situation smile I can make cakes or give you a hug! hug

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Just use the same document u provided on the app to your insurance provider!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: akgraphics

...OK plants ...Trees... adjacent pathway.....water...Fuel

That's exactly the sort of thing to be looking for. Also spaces have different risks at night. Lack of visibility is a risk in itself.. so reduce by having a battery powerd lantern to light up fuelling up space so you can see what you're doing. You can make that sound site specific just by pointing out htere is insufficient light at night to see unaided.

Other things that look good on a risk assessment (cos they actually are risks):

Tripping over props left on the ground. Reduce by keeping everywhere clear of gear except a designated visible place eg a cheap sheet to put props on.

People mixing up pre-fuelled and used props. Again, reduce by having designated areas and keeping them separate.

Worn or damaged props are a risk. Reduce by having everything checked by 2 people in advance.

People drinking fuel is a risk particularly in the dark. Reduce by only keeping in labelled containers and not allowing people to leave drink or water bottles anywhere near fuel. A risk reduction is a sign to say 'Only fire gear here. No personal gear'

Accidental ignition or props burning when not needed/too long. Essential is 2 wet towels, one near ignition area and one accessible to performers.

Burn during performance is a risk. Reduce by having a bucket of cold water someone can put a burned paw straight into.

You can make all these 'site specific' eg by saying ' Site has no clean running water for performer hand burns, so we are providing a bucket'

Written by: akgraphics

I saw them on offer on a year-old thread, but I thought it would be kind of disrespectful...ask for something for nothing

Ask. Like you are now. wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
Thank you newgabe smile

We're in a funny situation in that our university is providing our insurance, but to get the insurance in the first place, we have to *say* we will be insured to our college may-ball committees, so we get the gigs, then once we have the gigs, we have to apply for insurance via the fire safety department. Kind of chicken-and-egg experience... the crazy world of Cambridge! At least there's someone out there willing to insure us. It's been pretty discouraging jumping through all these hoops and hoping I'm not just being run in circles.