Forums > Social Discussion > "Bush Blackout for City Phones"

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Mobile phones will be jammed in Sydney when Bush visits

I figure Sydney-Siders are already aware of this, but I find it interesting from an emergency perspective. No mobile phones for 2 minutes can be the difference between life and death!

But the thing that scares me most is this:
Whenever Mr Bush visits a foreign country local sovereignty is surrendered to US authorities as he moves around in heavily armoured vehicles that follow him around the globe.

How on earth did that happen? No country has a right to demand another's sovereignty, even for a moment! eek

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I think it is ridiculous. If he feels our country isn’t "safe" enough for him with out inconveniencing people then he should stay where he is.

Last time he came, he went for a trip to the war memorial in Canberra. They had to close down the neighbouring high school half way through the day so that snipers could be put on the roof. They also closed down the roads around the area which was a pain in the ass because it is right on a junction of two major roads.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
but we do get a public holiday because of the APEC visit eek

the tourism minister wants everyone to get out of sydney for the weekend eek ubblol

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Wait you get a public holiday???
No fair we don't get one : P

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Ade

but we do get a public holiday because of the APEC visit eek

the tourism minister wants everyone to get out of sydney for the weekend eek ubblol

We will definitely need the public holiday. They have just announced on ABC radio (triple J) that 3 city train stations will be closed.

eek

Edit: This article states that 3 major stations (Circular Quay, Museum, and St James) will be closed during the 12-day APEC conference. eek Sydney is going to be an absolute nightmare for around a fortnight. mad
EDITED_BY: Rozi (1179292346)

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
They're closing main train stations? Morons! How is anyone going to get to work!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Oh wow. So terrorists were unable to detonate bombs before mobile phones were invented ubblol

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I reckon the US Government should fund a holiday allowance for everyone who lives in Sydney. You can choose to spend your holiday allowance by leaving town, or by amusing yourself at home (maybe ordering pizza to be delivered and watching DVDs for 14 days).

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Even better! pay a holiday allowance to all the terrorists to get them out of town so the city can function as normal while they are away tongue

oh sorry, you wanted the holiday, didnt you? tongue

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
except the pizza delivery people wont be able to get to your house because of the road closures... ubblol

nana

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
get the military helicopters patrolling the area to make pizza and dvd drops on their rounds...

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
or better yet! Take the black hawks to work! Scare the bejeezus out of your boss! ubblol

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
wow... this is immensely stupid..

i guess thats all ive got to say on that hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
perfect occasion to organise and join a rally wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

They're closing main train stations? Morons! How is anyone going to get to work!

It says between 7-9 Sept.. a Friday to Sunday. Sounds like a free long weekend.
Meanwhile you could all stay home reading a good book wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Phones out?
Not a problem, whip out your flag poi and......
SEMAPHORE!!!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Written by: Rouge Dragon

It says between 7-9 Sept.. a Friday to Sunday. Sounds like a free long weekend.
Meanwhile you could all stay home reading a good book wink

I think that Rouge was referring to the SMH article I linked to (article was amended at 7pm this evening to tighten up on terminology) which did imply that the train stations will be closed for the entire 12 day APEC conference. Whilst Bush's 3 day visit as part of the conference will constitute the largest disruption with stations closed at that time, there will be road closures and harbour no-go areas throughout the conference.

I remember both the disruption and the annoyance of the Brisbane people when CHOGM was planned to be held there in 2001 (oddly enough I was travelling up there in the months before). APEC is a similar disruption, and it will be lengthy. I am lucky because I can mainly avoid the city, however the CBD is both the workplace and the recreation space for a lot of people, and they will be affected.

wink But hey, I guess we could all move to Queensland for the fortnight wink biggrin

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yeah, shame it's not a few weeks earlier, you could all come to 2UberOz wink Well I guess you could anyway and just stay on...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
While the wording of whatever the first post quoted was ridiculous, this isn't an abnormal occurence. Similar things happen when politicians from other countries come to ours.
When Cheney drove down one of the main roads b/n the two major cities here, they shut it down.
censored, the freeway gets shut down when a big convoy comes through.
agreed the whole cell phone thing puts people in danger, but bombs can use cell phones to activate them.
you get a weekend...shhh...go play and be tech free

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

agreed the whole cell phone thing puts people in danger, but bombs can use cell phones to activate them.

So? And??? ...They can also use walkie-talkies, radios, and hell, a MOLDING POTATO.

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Just so you know, the same building and road closures occur in the states whenever he visits anywhere, so it's not just a special occurance for him visiting a foreign country. It can be a royal pain in the ass here as well.

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Spritie is so right. We had major grid lock the last time he came here.

I think the whole thing has gone overboard. Yeah he probably should get extra security, there's a lot of people that would love to kill the guy, but what I'm reading is a little more then excessive. After all they didn't turn off mobile phones when the Queen was here.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

3,556 posts

Posted:
first
HEY i said that already *mopes*

second, no but what if blair had visited. I think most people see the queen not so much as at fault for the war going on

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Whenever these guys go anywhere, we could all just stay at home, not go shouting and ranting down the streets, leave the blokes alone, and then these outlandish security measures wouldn't be necessary.

I very much feel that elections are the time to make your opinions count. Chucking stuff at the head of another country counts for nothing, and inconveniences many.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: squarefish

Phones out?
Not a problem, whip out your flag poi and......
SEMAPHORE!!!

ubblol clap clap ubblol

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I think Rozi makes a good point about CHOGM in Brisbane. After the G-20 forum in Melbourne, Christine Nixon (the Victorian Chief Commissioner of Police) suggested that these events should be held in more suitable locations. Why am I thinking Maralinga wink

Rouge, as far as jamming mobiles and surrendering local sovereignty. I think it probably has something to do with domination, and showing the world really just how important you are.

ubbangel

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Eera

Whenever these guys go anywhere, we could all just stay at home, not go shouting and ranting down the streets, leave the blokes alone, and then these outlandish security measures wouldn't be necessary.

I very much feel that elections are the time to make your opinions count. Chucking stuff at the head of another country counts for nothing, and inconveniences many.

..........[censored] that. Listen to yourself a second. That's WHY they're doing this, that's what they WANT. They want us-- in or out of the US-- to take the hint, sit down, and shut up. These security measures aren't necessary, they're just throwing their weight around. I don't know about Australia, but around here the "elections" are a joke. We have laws protecting the right to assemble and protest for a REASON. This jackass has made one hell of a stink in the world-- the fuss that goes on around him isn't some simple everyday pointless rabble-rousing of a bunch of people that feel like thumbing their noses at somebody important, this is people who are PISSED OFF, and rightly so.. not to mention getting COVERED UP. The media (here at least) is not giving protests much coverage, it gets glossed over, covered up-- the more people come out, the harder it gets to poo-poo the whole thing. Honestly, if Australia as a whole-- and a lot of other countries-- told Bush 'screw you, get off my property', I wouldn't blame them.

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
When Clinton came to visit Stanford to drop of Chelsea there was a lock-down on campus like never before. You had to have a special pass just to cross campus.

After this experience, Stanford University informed the Secret Service that the President was no longer welcome on campus unless more discrete arrangements could be made. And that's exactly what was done for his next visit. Most of us never noticed a thing.

Perhaps it's time for the people of Australia to send a similar message.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

3,556 posts

Posted:
go ahead assemble...

but considering how many spiteful things are being said in this thread alone on a webpage that espouses taking care of the world and inhabitant, I don't blame them for this.

I think the cellphones are a safety concern because some people only have cellphones and in an emergency minutes do count as some else said.

but look you are going to say all these rotten things, go assemble, go do something other than grumble here...your grumbling isn't going to do anything here

it's nice to know if someone doesn't hold your beliefs, you condemn them rather than change them. feel the love.

(this was a rant, it was emotional, but i'm not sorry. before you say that you haven't said anything don't make me go back and start quoting. I might have to copy and paste the whole thread wink )

Faith

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
This could actually be a good thing you know, it's all a matter of shifting your perspective a little.

How so? you say...Well...since this is an APEC conference, you'll be expecting the usual protests against topics like globalization and MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS !!

Who supplies the mobile phones and the service to use them ??? MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS, that's who.

So if Bush demands that these MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS cease to do business in his presence, then, in effect, he's kneeing them right in the financial gonads.

Who knows, maybe during the two minutes of involuntary mobile phone silence, people may come to the realisation that they've been duped into thinking that they actually want these things in their lives, they may come to the realisation that their desires are completely manufactured and force fer to them through advertising by MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS. and come to their senses and seek out a more friendly, mom and pop, community oriented form of communication.

Aren't you tired of some MULTINATIONAL CORPORATION telling you that you really want to download and watch a movie on a 2 inch screen. You may THINK you do, but you don't really, you'd rather watch it on your 52 inch plasma, with surround sound ( also made by MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS )

Some of us have also been suckered into thinking that wearing one of those little blue-tooth earpieces clipped to out ears somehow makes us look just that much more connected and important...Wrong !!! We Luddites think you're just being pretentious, but we can understand and sympathise with just how much you've been brainwashed by the MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS and hope to help you shrug off the shackles of your addiction, one GWB visit at a time.

So now the secret's out, George "Che Guevara" Bush is really leading a revolution and suggesting a return to simpler times.

Bring back CB radios

10-4 good buddy

wink

3,556 posts

Posted:
really the phone silence is only for two minutes, people are not complaining about two minutes are they?

Faith

Page: