db0BRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
Not certain where else to post this so feel free to move to the appropriate forum.

I recently bought a new Glow Staff and I was eager to get to use it at a night club or somesuch. However I have been majorly unsuccesful. Doormen just won't let me in. Even when I show them that it's not really "dangerous" as it's made from lightweight hollow plastic and has no chance of injuring anyone.

I was actually lucky in the start because the place where I usually hang out let me in with it a few times but last time I went, the doorman came down and forced me to turn it off and stop spinning.

I've asked my local friends and they say it's just the way things are around here (in Frankurt that is). It seems that the security people are quite paranoid.

So I've got a big problem now. I like dancing, but I like dancing with a staff much more, especially when there is some kind of electonic music playing. And I really don't want to just leave the GloStaff to gather dust.

Has anyone else run into a similar problem? If so what did you do? How do I find a spinning friendly club?
Is anyone familiar with Franfurt enough to give me a tip?

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
ah, one of my favourite problems. one i try and overcome by getting the organisers of the night at the club to employ me for the night; that way you get to spin and you get paid! winner!
other than that, try asking the owner of the club if it's alright? or see if you can contact the owners/managers of other local clubs and see if they are "spinning friendly", clearly after having offered them your payable servces first wink

What're you looking at?
I assume you're being rhetorical?
What're you callin' me!?

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
come out of the clubs my friend and head out to the free techno partys biggrin no security breathing down your neck wink

i'm sure frankfurt has quite a large "underground" music scene, PM me and i'll see what info i can find out about them.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I like the idea of getting paid to spin clap

My suggestion is to start with glow stix. I started with glow stix, and they just seem to keep getting bigger, and bigger. The one day, glow staff!

Good Luck, there are spinning friendly clubs in Melbourne, and it’s only a matter of time before you find one.

cheers smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
From the security stand point there are two problems with allowing you to spin on the dance floor. First, you are an unknown and plastic or not you could smack someone with that thing and the club will have a lawsuit. Second, the other partons of the club may be in altered states and may run smack into you then there is another lawsuit.

Try and organize ahead of time. Even if your not being paid you do bring entertainment and if you can discuss what you do with the club before hand they can provide you with crowd controll or even a special place to spin where it's less likely you could smack someone or someone could smack you. smile

Wow I used smack allot in there didn't I. :P

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

db0BRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Larry

other than that, try asking the owner of the club if it's alright? or see if you can contact the owners/managers of other local clubs and see if they are "spinning friendly", clearly after having offered them your payable servces first wink

It sounds like a good idea but contacting the owners would be tricky, seeing as I can't even speak the language yet (working on it though).

Written by: ravehead

come out of the clubs my friend and head out to the free techno partys no security breathing down your neck

i'm sure frankfurt has quite a large "underground" music scene, PM me and i'll see what info i can find out about them.

I'm not really into techno but I wouldn't mind visiting such a party just for the chance to spin a bit. Once again though, no idea where to look.

Written by: Cody

Wow I used smack allot in there didn't I.

Maybe your subconsious is trying to tell you something. nana

Generally I don't tend to smack people but I agree it can happen. Seeing as the Glostaff is padded though I wouldn't think much damage would occur. But try convincing the doorman on that...

Indeed the best solution would be to find the owner but that's a problem all by itself, especially if you're not a regular.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
In Manchester there is a club called Jillys (aka Rockworld) where I used to frequent and I can safely say that that was where the seed of my spinning days was planted, even though it took two years to start sprouting.

But there was an incident when a glow-stringer hit either a patron or the manager in the face and he decreed that poi is banned in there. People who were caught spinning are promptly told to stop. Even one time I took my mini doubles (devil stick handles with glow-sticks) and was spinning in the slow isolation-style, no momentumtum and was still told to stop. One incident left me fuming where I was spinning poi in a dark corner, away from the crowd, a girl asked me if she could have a go, I said yes, and to my horror she took them into the middle of the crowded dancefloor, hit a few people and was told off by an irate manager, when she came back evem I couldn't stop myself tearing a few strips off her.

There are many issues in which I am not happy about but can understand that you have to consider: -

* No matter how proficient and safety conscious you are, there will be people who do not look where they're going or think they can 'snake around' you and end up with a black eye. (and lawsuits)

* You may inspire other people to take up poi or staff and think it's okay to take into the club but inevitably they will not be as safety conscious as you. More black eyes. (and lawsuits)

* For every person who goes 'ooooh pretty' there will be a few who won't be happy that their DANCEfloor space is taken up by that show-off over there.

There also are a few personal reasons AGAINST spinning in clubs

* You have to ask yourself are you doing it purely for the music or just to show off in public? If the former, what's wrong with headphones? It is a nightclub after all.

* You will almost certainly be besieged by people asking about it or asking to have a go, interupting your flow or a song you love spinning to. You either say yes and a) feel annoyed that you can't play with your own toys (resting time aside) b) someone breaks your toy, or say 'no' and end up feeling like sh*t for not being friendlier and sharing your toys.

If you REALLY want to spin in a club with the big staff, ask the manager first, because the issues can reach further than you feeling victimised, possibly about a job. If you can get away with it, well done. If they say no, accept it.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
As a funny side anecdote we were once invited to spin fire at a rave. We would quietly move to the dance floor with our safety amongst the glow props and light up. Our circle would instantly form and guess what, glow sticks look different when fire is around. :P It was funny and a bit upstaging. But we did gain many new glow people interested in fire at that event. :P

Cody Canon

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
cody, the term "rave" means something different in the UK and most of europe wink

"rave" in the US can mean in the UK a normal "club" night.

free partys have been tarnished with this name "rave" by the media and it has taken me a long time to learn this.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
The rave we went to was publicised as a rave and had techno music, dj's fancy lights, black lights and plenty of glowsticks. Clubs play 80's music and attract college guys with striped polo shirts. smile

There is nothing wrong with either one of those and I like to attned both. No offence meant, but still, large fire props drown out quite a few glowstickers, and that was my funny anecdote. smile

Cody Canon

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Here is a link to a similar discussion we had on the hooping tribe.
https://hooping.tribe.net/thread/26750aae-f0be-40c7-9bb6-fde132126079

I would not normally post a link to another forum but i think that alot of people made interesting and insitefull points there.

Personaly i have not had any problems hooping in clubs not that i have tryed that often, but i would probably not even try to do it if there were more than 5 or 6 people on the dance floor.

I have found hoops to generally be safer(note safer not safe) than my staff when around groups people (no long ends to hit people and such) that said i don't think i would do either in public if i did'nt already have performers insureance.

I would not want the only decent club in my area to close beacuse of a law suit or something.

any who, good luck with your quest : )

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

db0BRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your thoughtfull response Neon_Shaolin, you do have some valid points that I'm going to try to address.

Written by: Neon_Shaolin

* No matter how proficient and safety conscious you are, there will be people who do not look where they're going or think they can 'snake around' you and end up with a black eye. (and lawsuits)

Like most of you, I don't try spinning in a crowded stage and if there are more people than I feel comfortable, I will probably spin much slower or stop altogether. There is always the chance of accidents of course but that is always there methinks. Generally on the days I go there, the stage is empty (totally).
 Written by:

* For every person who goes 'ooooh pretty' there will be a few who won't be happy that their DANCEfloor space is taken up by that show-off over there.

I know that I am spinning in a dancefloor but I am usually dancing while spinning as well. There will always be jealous people of course, but I've had many people that actually want me to bring the Glostaff for a small show. Right now I tell them to try and convince the manager smile

Written by:

You may inspire other people to take up poi or staff and think it's okay to take into the club but inevitably they will not be as safety conscious as you. More black eyes. (and lawsuits)

Well, this is the actual reason why the doorman on the place I frequent will allow me to bring the staff in but not play with it.
However I gather that if other people make an ass of themselves they will be thrown out, same way as if they get stupid drunk and start annoying people or whatnot. The doormen, at least where I go, don't tolerate them.

Written by:

* You have to ask yourself are you doing it purely for the music or just to show off in public? If the former, what's wrong with headphones? It is a nightclub after all.

I am spinning in a club well, because I want to go to a club and I also like spinning wink. If I wanted to be by myself I would just sit home and listen to music. Usually when I can, I dance a bit, spin a bit and socialize a lot. I'd like not to remove the middle option if possible smile

Written by:

* You will almost certainly be besieged by people asking about it or asking to have a go, interupting your flow or a song you love spinning to. You either say yes and a) feel annoyed that you can't play with your own toys (resting time aside) b) someone breaks your toy, or say 'no' and end up feeling like sh*t for not being friendlier and sharing your toys.

I've been besieged by people wanting to play with the staff while outside but they most usually give up quite quickly (generally at the point it smacks them in the face) and this is also an excellent way to meet more people in a new country smile . I've never been asked the same in a club other than a guy I met that I knew could already spin.

Written by:

If you REALLY want to spin in a club with the big staff, ask the manager first, because the issues can reach further than you feeling victimised, possibly about a job. If you can get away with it, well done. If they say no, accept it.

Of course I will accept not being able to play in a club. There's not much else I can do if I want to keep going there smile

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
i am so lucky in this respect as my boyfriend is the Manager of our local club!

i have done it in other clubs, a few times, friends have been performing, and asked me if i want to get up and have a turn and things like that. luckily i only spin poi, which are easy to pop in my (huge) handbag!

I would echo what others have said, about asking the manager,and try and find other who spinin your area, and see if they know of anywhere.

SaanSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
I'd reccomend some large-scale festivals, the kind where you can camp out. (according to my brother and his clan of no-sleep-for-five-days-ers, they allow anything that glows as long as it's not made of glass or milk-carton-stuff) If they stop you, point out that they allow people with BIG HEAVY HAMMERS and similar pieces of plastic on the premises that go over directly into the concert-area. Try explaining that it's really just a big glowstick and that you've been spinning long enough and never taken out an eye.

So... SHINY...