Forums > Social Discussion > Scientology, Panorama and the BBC

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Well, a couple of hours ago the BBC aired a Panorama documentary on Scientology and frankly... whoa.

In ways it was a follow up from one they did in the 80s or 90s. Scientology had a bad rap over its use of "Fair Game" ie harassment of those that dare criticise them, and this was a look into whether they still deserved this reputation.

My God.

The answer is a very definite HELL-YES. The reporter, John Sweeney, loses his rag at one point - this was filmed by the Scientologists and dumped all over YouTube and sent to various MPs and people in the BBC to discredit him before the full documentary aired. He was followed/stalked, harassed, intimidated. Not mentioned in film was the fact that PIs even turned up to his wedding.

Yes, John Sweeney is somewhat of an asshat and describes his style as: "there are three rules in journalism. First, find a crocodile. Two, poke it in the eye with a stick. Three, stand back and report what happens next. If it's a sodden log you'll be quite safe. If it's a crocodile you've got a story."

But still...

You can find the film on the Panorama website here. Please watch it, it's an eye opener.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
LOL thats an awsome joke gona have to remember that one smile

sounds like a pritty common experiance as i understand it scientology seems to work on a system of incremental wackyness introduceing you to the wackyness a tiny steps at at time. each step on its own doesn't seem that insain and once they get you to accept the first few steps they use that as leverage to get you to accept all kinda of rubish that woman been the end result. its the ultimate form of slavery that poor woman has had her money taken and probly been force to dissasociate from friends and family. and in return she gets her soul raped by the ideology of a man whos own son repeately compaired to hittler. The irony been that after a person has been censored over instead of excapeing feeling stupid and used like a normal con they get there very life taken and end up doing the same to others.

there kinda like the borg of the soul

i've never read conversations with god sounds intresting can you give us the jist?

and firetom why do you keep going on about blameing god whos blameing god?
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1181904265)

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
it's an old sales tech. slowly get them to accept things and push it a little more each time. If A is logical, then so is B. If B is logical, then so is C. And it keeps going. It's a really effective sales technique

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Rob - maybe I misinterpreted your post, saying:

Written by: robnunchucks

murdering unbeleavers, the abuse and subjgations of women, genocide and slavery are whats best for us! this god fellow sounds like a pritty shitty parent i know i wouldn't wanta be raised by him think what utter [censored] i would have turned out as.

would have though child services would have had him by now luckly for him hes invisable

To me, religion and cults are like the boats and helicopters... I rather learn how to swim wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
What Fire Tom you can’t swim? wink

I’d rather learn to fish.

To me the boats and helicopters are just opportunities. In particular, helping your self rather than expecting it to be done for you. Not blaming others.

Sales Techniques! That’s an interesting one. I say it was more about network marketing.

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yeah I figure that the politeness of sales staff sometimes drops significantly after I make my purchase... umm I'm not amazed about the Scientology staff doing the same.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Page: ...