Forums > Help! > contact staff question

Login/Join to Participate

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
how much of a difference is there between a hollow aluminum tube with weighted ends and a broom stick. because it seems like some of the things i try should be working but are not.

p.s.
follow up question:
How long did you use a stick before switching to your torch staff?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Contact with a broomstick is haaaaaaaaard, the overall weight of the object isn't too big a deal (though I love my heavy-as-hell stick) as long as it's concentrated at the ends and it has good grip. The more weight you can get on the ends the better really, oh and mark the point of balance, very important visual aid!

I was spinning a broomstick for about a month before I got a 'proper' staff sorted.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Does the broom stick have weighted ends?

the weights on the end give the stick momentum. it doesn't matter what material you use.

A good grip on the stick is useful too...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
no weighted ends on my stick, i got 2 tennis grips on one red and one black with the center point marked by the color switch. il try adding some weight to the ends and see if it works out any better, maybe some pads too, i nailed myself in the ear trying a head spin lol.
thanks folks.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
A good weight/padding system for home-made practice sticks is to wrap old bicycle innertubes around the ends, cushiony and heavy, also free from local bike shop (busted ones that is) smile

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
i would say that the broom stick is rather for first try outs .....or whatever you would call the first tries....and the aluminium sticks....with weights in the ends is better for practicing......when you have practiced the basics already and are more secure with your moves....and for your fire fun....have fun!

tina

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
ya im on my second prototype of aluminum staff. this one fixed the first problems and is going to be my kevlar experiment

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!