tauschungSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
Hey all,
I think I'm ready for fire. I'm making my fire chains and a contact staff at the same time.
I found some nice dog chokers at a pet store, and they come in different gauges. So, I was wondering what would be better for spinning? 2, 3, or 4 mm?
I also am thinking of using aluminum conduit for my staff. My question would be, is that even suitable? Or should I use something else?
Thanks,
Jake

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
im not so good with judging this kind of stuff (all my firepoi sets have been bought from stores) but before buying the dog chain, id make sure it is a reliable metal, that isnt coated in something ie. stainless steel, not chrome plated steel.. also, the HoP shop uses 3mm chain, so im assuming this is a good size.

im not really sure about what to use for staffs though smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
i use the 4mm dog chain on an old set i have at home and they are grand, never had any issues and they are very strong smile

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
To quickly answer your questions
-Dog chains are great and i would sugest anything 3mm and up. Alternatively get some 3mm chain and some Quick Links from a DIY store
-Aluminium tubing is fine and on the plus side it's lighter that steel.

Have fun making your new toys. weavesmiley

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

tauschungSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
Thanks..

Now I have an engineering question. How would I make it so that my staff has interchangeable wicks?

Eyebolt through and end cap? Or drill into a wooden dowel?

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
About the chains.. Make sure that they're not TOO big. Having real tick metal may sound like a great idea, but remember how terribly hot it will get. Don't want to be swinging around too much hot metal eh? Just have a look at it all and use your judgment.

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
good point VR

Interchangeable wicks are pointless unless you intend to do a couloured fire spin. Instead i would make 2 fire staffs so then you can play around with some double staff.

If you still want to make intechangeable heads then i would suggest that you put a screw thread onto the inside of the staff and the outside of the head (this is of course assuming that the kevlar is wraped around a piece if tubing some of which extends from the base of the kevlar) and use a spring washer and a linch pin to prevent the head from unscrewing itself while spinning. I do howeveer have to say that this is just a sugestion and it may not be the best way to achieve the desired result.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Hey, dont forget to check out the Articles section for selecting metals:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/metal_fire_twirling_parts.php

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
 Written by: tauschung

Thanks..

Now I have an engineering question. How would I make it so that my staff has interchangeable wicks?

Eyebolt through and end cap? Or drill into a wooden dowel?

I would suggest speaking to pyromonkey wink check his gallery and see if he still has pictures of his hyrda-staff with changeable wicks that screw in the end of a nice heavy sounding contact staff.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

tauschungSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
I didn't want to make a new topic for this one.

I've tried to think of several methods. What I ended up doing was to sink the dowel a bit further in the staff and drop an eye screw into it.

All I do to connect the head to the staff is use a quicklink through the cotter pin, and the eye screw. The only thing is that it moves a bit inside the staff while I am spinning. I was thinking of putting a cap on the end, but those would make it waaaay to heavy on the ends.

Any suggestions to help?