yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen_%28film%29

my god it's true!!!
they're making a film of watchmen. For those of yu that haven't read it watchmen, in my opinion is the greatest comic/graphic novel ever written, it is the comic book to ever win a hugo award and is an amzing piece of literature. Personally I feel not only is it sacrilage to make a film of it, but to cast people such as tom cruise and arnie is just terrible, and is the wiki artical shows alan moore (the writter) is incredibly against it being made into a film. frown

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
but book to film conversions are often more about making money than being true to the original story sadly.

I recently watched the earthsea trilogy on dvd, and it was shockingly inaccurate in comparison to the book. In fact , even the books author condemned it!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

FlamezBRONZE Member
56 posts

Posted:
Like the difference between The Lord Of The Rings book and the movie.

Huge parts left out... luckely, the movies are so loooong already.

"My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely."

"Insanity is my only means of relaxation."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
As much as I love Alan Moore, he is a cranky old recluse and will never be able to accept ANY other version of his work. Judging by most of the output he has good reason but he says it's because, regardless of the end result, his stories are written FOR the comic medium and doesn't suit film, prose or interpretive dance.

He usually takes his name off the credits in the films anyway.

I can never understand the venomous uproar when it comes to adaptations and cover versions of songs as it's not as if the record companies are destroying every exisiting copy of the original and overwriting it with the new version. If you feel the new version shouldn't be made, ignore and savour the fact that you still have the original in all its glory.

Honestly, if people put as much passion into solving world problems as they do about boycotting adaptations then the world would be a paradise!

smile

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Sealeymember
30 posts

Posted:
I always thought of Watchmen as slightly overrated, but still incredibly good. You're right about the casting. That blows. They keep making shoddy films from comic books. V for Vendetta was the last half decent one I saw. Saw Spider Man 3 and was shocked at what they did to the characters. Peter Parker becomes a dancing scene kid. MJ hust doesn't seem like MJ in any of the Spiderman films. And kirsten dunst is booted. But yeah I'm gonna start ranting if I don't shut up so I'll just say "books/comics are always better than films for some reason" biggrin.
EDITED_BY: Sealey (1178880286)

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I reckon it'll be really difficult to make a decent film of Watchmen because of the way it's written, but after reading the wikipedia link posted above I have a bit of hope because of these two points:

- "Warner Bros. was agreeable to the 1980s script that had been turned in."
Awesome - a comic book film set in the same time period as the comic book, not updated to the present smile

- Zack Snyder as a director.
After seeing how the comic of 300 was used as a reference for the film, I reckon Zack Snyder knows what he's doing. Also, he sounds like a fan of the Watchmen comic, which is always nice.

Mainly though, I don't care, as long as I get to see Rorshach killing people with a toilet bowl wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
To be honest I wouldn't oppose the casting of Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt as Ozymandias though it's almost too perfect for the character.

The idea of Ron Perlman as The Comedian is genius...!

After seeing 'The Fountain' I think Darren Aronofsky would've made a fine job of it had he stayed on.

To be honest I think 'Watchmen' would make a better TV mini series but many of the ideas and themes have been pilfered for 'Heroes'.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
mm, yes, it disturbs me slightly how the creator of heroes says he never read comic books, it is increasingly similar to watchmen.

Movie's from books/comics tend to be widely well known to be adaptions, many people will often assume any film was based on some written medium by defaut.

The problem with Music is if people havn't heard the orriginal before, they don't tend to assume it wasn't, and the fact that sometihng isn't a cover is often not well promoted, if at all, especially on the radio, it's often never mentioned, the tracks just get played over and over.

hence peoples annoyance as you end up with huge numbers of people thinking complete trash is the orriginal (and sometimes in their oppinion best) version.

I'd think a lot of that is purely down to it being not just their fist time to come accross it, but repeated exposure teaching their brain 'this is the right way'.

this is a mass generalisation of course, but then musical taste is totally subjective in nature, and more prone to conditioning than say, comparing to different phyiscal products trying to tackle a job, one can clearly be more efficient/better made.

This is happening a bit more in cinema now though too sadly, see censored US remakes of 'Nikita' (-> The Assasin) 'Ringu' (->The Ring) etc.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
woooow, wandered way off topic there.

erm, Watchmen YAY, it could be really entertaining. The early pic of Rorshach's face bothers me though, it wasn't the clearly pure black&white heat sensitive moving mask it should be. The white is too dull and it just looks like cloth, even if they animate it, the comic describes it as something more dynamic, like an oil and milk lava lamp type liquid inbetween 2 sheets of plastic, after all he finds he has to cut it with heated scissors to re-seal the edges as he goes.

I havn't seen (or read tbh) 300, heard the movies really bad though, but Sin City was a superb comic book conversion, this guys attention to detail is aplaudable.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin