Forums > Social Discussion > energy solution in america

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
add a one dollar per gallon tax to all gasoline in america. the entire dollar goes to advancing and developing sustainable and alternative energy sources.

this doesnt work because the 1.00 tax would effect lower income families much more than the rich elite. so to balance that out reduce the payroll tax. FICA (medicare and social security) , from what i've heard, they aren't going to be around when my generation needs them anyway and take more out of your payroll tax than income tax. take the equivalent of the extra tax on fuel out of FICA.

higher taxes on fuel = less people driving, more people carpool, public transport etc.

lower taxes for middle class workers = more people getting jobs, lower unemployment rate.

we will make a fortune for developing alternative energy sources and at the same time we will be fighting terrorism by not funding al quieda indirectly by buying oil off people who are funding them directly (speculation)

just an idea

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
clap u got it... hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
so essentially we should overhaul the whole infrastructure because many residential areas have little to no business...

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Essentially we are doomed, because nobody is ready to give up anything. The necessary changes would require a joint effort and a radical overhaul so drastic, that it's very unlikely to happen.

[ed] (I don't want to be too present here, so) read what Doc suggests - IMO he's making a great preposition! clap
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1178684564)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
One more thing I would like to suggest.

In order to drive a car over a certain gross weight (which would cover all minivans and SUV's) one must get a special commercial drivers license that requires annual testing and drug testing. All vehicles over that gross weight must get special commercial license plates. And all vehicles specified as an SUV should have a 50% luxury tax attached. You could even come up with a formula for miles per passenger gallon. A minivan (seats 6-8) has more miles per passenger gallon than an SUV (seats 5, max).

If you need it for your business, then it will pay for itself quickly. If you want it to thumb your nose at the world, then you better fork it over.

Over the next 10 years, I'd love to see a mandate that all new models of automobile be hybrids. Over the next 20 I'd like to see a mandate that they all use fuel cells.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Whaaaaat????

Drug testing to drive a minivan ???

I'd be curious as to what hoops you thing people who live in large houses that need heating and air conditioning, own boats or RVs, fly on planes, or commute more than 15 minutes each day should jump through.

Maybe if you're single an ickle widdle car is fine, but try hauling around a couple of kids and all their attendant stuff in a Smart Car...

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
well, you know those mom's taking their kids ritalin...

what about pick-ups?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Page: